Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla DC charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There existed, at one time, one Roadster owner in Buffalo, who mentioned his existence on the Tesla forum IIRC. Find him.

Thanks, but Buffalo is way off my route. I'm in Eastern Ontario, not Southern. Ottawa is to the north of Ogdensburg, although I'd go a little to the west and drive down 81. There's a KOA in Ganonoque where I can top up before crossing the border.

Research found me exactly one 50 amp campground outside Syracuse -- to the east. I'm not sure you can make it that far either. (There's another one near Binghamton, but you're set in Binghamton.)

I can get there from Ganonoque. If it's not too far East, that may be a viable solution. Where is it, exactly?

(Sorry this is getting a little off-topic, but at least it's about charging on highways...)

On the new options page it says supercharger access is Not Available for the 40kWh battery! Even for the 60 it is "TBD".

If you want to take the car on any significant roadtrip you really need to have the 85. I think by handicapping the 40 they are saying "you might as well buy a Leaf".

This seems really bad to me. The bigger the battery, the less you need quick charging. For most people, road trips are rare which makes it silly to invest in a gigantic 300-mile battery pack that you only use 10% to 20% of the capacity a regular basis, while it loses capacity with both time and miles. Is it really worth it to own such a giant battery for the rare road trip? Unless you do it a lot, just rent a gas car for those trips.

The LEAF is a terrible road trip car, even with DCQC. In Tesla terms, the LEAF has a range of about 85 "ideal miles", which means you have to stop for 30 minutes for every hour of driving. That's just painful. The 160-mile Model S is a huge improvement over that, but only if it has access to DCQC. Without DCQC, it's only good for local driving, so it's just a LEAF at twice the price.

This same logic would lead you to the conclusion that a Honda Fit and a BMW 330 are good substitutes. They aren't; even if it's only an "around town" car, a Model S offers a level of comfort, style, finish, space, etc. that a Leaf doesn't begin to approach.

Have you driven a LEAF? It's a pretty sweet ride. It's comfortable and roomy. The controls are well thought out, with plenty of tactile buttons that let you do things without taking your eyes off the road. With the cold weather package you get the usual heated seats (front and rear), plus a heated steering wheel, the most decadent luxury I've ever had in a car.

I'm not saying the Model S isn't a nicer car, perhaps it is, but removing DCQC (and turn-by-turn navigation, and automatic keyless entry) from the base model moves it a whole lot closer to a LEAF. I find that disappointing.

Has Tesla announced where the super chargers will be? I've scanned the thread, but didn't see the answer.

Looks like the first one will be at Harris Ranch from the article linked below
Bucking Trends, Tesla Goes It Alone on Plug Design - NYTimes.com
The company has also designed its own D.C. fast-charge unit, capable of delivering 480 volts, which would be called the Supercharger. Mr. Musk said that the first Supercharger would be installed along Interstate 5 at the Harris Ranch in Coalinga, Calif., roughly halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco, within the next three or four months.

Has Tesla announced where the super chargers will be? I've scanned the thread, but didn't see the answer.

The answer is "no, Tesla has not announced where the super chargers will be".

There was a statement that the first one would be between SF and LA. That's all we've actually heard out of Tesla; no idea where the second one will be!

I can get there from Ganonoque. If it's not too far East, that may be a viable solution. Where is it, exactly?

(Sorry this is getting a little off-topic, but at least it's about charging on highways...)

OK, my research is actually finding more places than last time. *But most of them are only open seasonally*.

The one I was thinking of is Green Lakes State Park, in Fayetteville. It has a number of 50 amp camping spots. Two state parks in the Finger Lakes area also have some 50 amp service: Filmore Glen (in Moravia) and Watkins Glen. *But they all have May-October seasons*, so you'd better not be planning to travel during the fall, winter, or spring.

There's also A KOA further north with 50 amp service. 1000 Islands / Association Island | Camping in New York | KOA Campgrounds
Again, May-October.

This realization caused me to try a different filter on my searches. "Year round" :wink:

Frost Ridge Campground in Le Roy appears to be year-round and have 50 amp service, but it's west of Rochester.

I haven't found anything else good for November-April yet.

(Perhaps this should be moved to a more suitable thread?)

OK, my research is actually finding more places than last time. *But most of them are only open seasonally*.

The one I was thinking of is Green Lakes State Park, in Fayetteville. It has a number of 50 amp camping spots. Two state parks in the Finger Lakes area also have some 50 amp service: Filmore Glen (in Moravia) and Watkins Glen. *But they all have May-October seasons*, so you'd better not be planning to travel during the fall, winter, or spring.

There's also A KOA further north with 50 amp service. 1000 Islands / Association Island | Camping in New York | KOA Campgrounds
Again, May-October.

This realization caused me to try a different filter on my searches. "Year round" :wink:

Frost Ridge Campground in Le Roy appears to be year-round and have 50 amp service, but it's west of Rochester.

I haven't found anything else good for November-April yet.

(Perhaps this should be moved to a more suitable thread?)

Thanks for the info... and yeah, a thread on "Charging in NY" would be very helpful!

I've been wondering if there were some Nissan dealerships in upstate NY that would be friendly enough to allow a Tesla visitor...

Thanks for the info... and yeah, a thread on "Charging in NY" would be very helpful!
Make that "upstate NY" because "NYC and Long Island" is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

I've been wondering if there were some Nissan dealerships in upstate NY that would be friendly enough to allow a Tesla visitor...

Hmm, good question. I'm not sure how many Nissan dealerships in upstate actually have suitably fast charging equipment, though; I don't think the one in Ithaca does, though I may be able to check. The Leaf rollout is actually kind of slow in some ways. It's easy enough to find the Syracuse Nissan dealers on the web though; if you call them up, do tell us what you find out.

This article is a bit of a teaser.

Tesla in final stages of Model S prep; readying Supercharger network for road trips

"The solution to when people want to take a road trip for the 300- and 240-mile range packs is going to be charging and supercharging," Reyes said, describing the network Tesla is talking about building. "If you look at an 'H' system [in the U.S.], the most popular routes on the west coast, the east coast and then cross-country, and then you have little spoke systems along the way, you pretty much cover the country with not that many systems," he said.

How many make up the "not that many" that it would take to blanket the country "pretty well"? Reyes said it's fewer than 30 locations. Once this basic network is in place, more out-of-the-way routes could get Superchargers. Reyes notes that the cost to put in one of these Supercharging stations is "a fraction" of what it costs to put in a new gas station. Some possible routes? D.C. to New York; D.C. to Boston and San Francisco to Los Angeles, to name just three. "Suddenly, the whole 'I can't take road trips,' and range anxiety and all these red herring arguments are essentially obliterated at that point," Reyes asked.

Of course the big question is when does Tesla intend to install those 30 or so Superchargers and where.

Larry

I wonder whether "fewer than 30" is enough for a complete "H". I need to look it up, but I think originally it was about 40 locations that Elon had in mind. But however many Tesla starts with, the important part is this: "Once this basic network is in place, more out-of-the-way routes could get Superchargers."

I assume those initial locations will completely leave out most of the midwest and south. I wonder if the east west route will be I-80. I really don't see how 30 locations is a good enough rollout though.