Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CPO Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We recently took delivery of a 2016 Model S CPO in Washington DC area to replace my wife's minivan. I thought I share my experience with those of you who are in the market for CPO (aka mechanically inspected) vehicle from Tesla.

First, we created a list of must and nice to have requirements:
Must have:
  • AWD - Our other car is a 911, so we needed an all weather transport.
  • 2015 or newer - Earlier model years had more reported fit and finish issues.
  • Sunroof - Makes the whole interior much more spacious.
  • Auto-pilot (AP1) - I am okay not having the newest driving assistance tech. If you absolutely want full self-driving hardware, you should skip the rest of this post and order a new S or 3.
  • Factory warranty - I plan on keeping this car for ~4 years. Factory warranty for vehicle with high repair cost was absolutely mandatory for us.
  • Next-Gen Seats - I much prefer the Next-gen style seats over the original design. The Next-gen seats are not only more comfortable, supportive and much better looking IMO.
  • Power liftgate - Not even sure why this is an option in an $90k+ car.
Nice to have:
  • < 40k miles - We understand Tesla's drivetrain/battery warranty covers up to 8 years, but we still prefer a lower mileage car. BTW, Tesla warranty is 4yr/50k from date of purchase if car has under 50k mi. Otherwise warranty is 2yr/100k.
  • Longer range - We don't to many road trip nor do we have long commute, so this wasn't mandatory. However, considering recommended charge limit (85%) and cold weather efficiency, it would be nice to have a bigger battery.
  • Premium sound - I love good clean bass in my music, but my wife could care less. I think that is the main diff between standard and premium sound upgrade.
  • Subzero package - Loved heated steering wheels in our previous vehicles. But since you can pre-heat the car from the smartphone app, we could live without it.
  • Free supercharging - We don't take many road trip, so this wasn't mandatory. However, I think most vehicles prior to 2017 has lifetime supercharging included.
Based on our requirements and budget of $60k, we found many vehicles ranging from pre-facelift 70D, 85D, 90D to facelift 75D. I bombarded our Tesla sales advisor with bunch of questions since I was unfamiliar with the whole purchase process. Some of the questions and answers listed below:

• Can I visually inspect or test drive the car prior to putting down a deposit? No and no. You have to make a decision to purchase the car purely based on photos they share with you.
  • Is the deposit refundable? No, If you turn down a car, you can put that deposit toward another used vehicle within 7 days. I am guessing there is some flexibility in that rule. I think everything but the price (set by computer) is negotiable.
  • What is the minimal tire tread-depth? 4/32.
  • Do you ship car? No. However, I was told by during my delivery Tesla that it is negotiable.
  • Do you provide Carfax record? No, but they don't sell cars having serious accident history. Not sure what their definition of 'serious' mean, so it is best that you run your own Carfax report.
  • Where do I pickup the car? Cars in the mid-atlantic/north east areas are picked up either in Mount Kisco NY or Owings Mill MD. In another word, you don't get to choose where to pickup the car. If the car shows NY location, then you will pick it up in NY. They will not transport car to you, but you can arrange your own transport. Given all the uncertainties, I wasn't going to deal with the logistical nightmare of driving 4 hours from DC to NY and coming back empty handed.
  • Do you take trade-in? Yes. This was probably the easiest part of the process. You can get a online quote for your trade-in. They use KBB trade value, which I thought was pretty fair.
  • Where do I drop off my trade-in? Either nearest service center or where you pickup the Tesla.
  • Is finance available? Yes, Tesla uses 3rd party lender for used car sales. Their lender generally require 10% down and up to 72 month term. I got my loan through credit union instead.
For a whole week, I started tracking multiple cars using Erik's awesome site (https://teslainventory.com/) and requested photos of the cars I was interested in. Tesla will email you a link to roughly 20 photos of the car. Photos are generally ok to poor in resolution and quality. They tried to document scratches, dings and curb rashes in the photos, but you must be mentally prepared to find more imperfections upon seeing the car in person.

During my search process, we decided to narrow down our search to only facelifted models, simply because we liked the new frontend and the center console. That actually made our decision much easier because there weren't that many facelifted cars available within our $60k price point. We start tracking a 2016 75D and watched the price change religiously several times a day. Once the price hit our target range, we ran a Carfax report and pull the trigger on the deposit.

I reached out to my sales advisor to coordinate delivery. I was told that we could pick up the car within 5 days from the Owings Mill service center. At this point in time, I was able to find the vehicle profile listed in My Tesla portal. I was asked to upload some documents, including driver license and insurance info. I reached out to my insurance company (AAA) for a quote and was pleasantly surprised to find Model S premium to be ~$100 higher than than my 2015 Sienna.

Up until this point, I have only made contact with the sales advisor. There is a separate team for handling the actual vehicle delivery. During the process, there was bit of disconnect and miscommunication between the two teams. For instance, I was told car would be ready for pickup on Friday, but in reality the delivery team had no information and wasn't able to track down the location of the vehicle. Apparently, used Tesla aren't stored in a single lot/location. It could be located in any of the service centers where the car was originally traded-in. During my visit to Owings Mill service center, I did see several Tesla trade-ins sitting in the parking lot. They were clearly labeled "Trade-in" on the window. I suspect if your sales advisor is willing to share the whereabout of a particular vehicle, you should be able drive to the service center to inspect the vehicle prior to putting down the deposit.

On the day of the delivery, we drove our minivan to the Owings Mill service center. The staff at Owings Mill were super friendly. They gave us plenty of time to inspect the vehicle and ask questions. For our vehicle, we did find few light scratches or dings that weren't identified in the photos. However, the car was washed and vacuumed prior to our arrival, which looked much better than shown in photos. The lady who handled our delivery was really nice. She took care of few issues on the spot, including replacing front tire (with chunk of rubber missing in sidewall), loose door trim and remote battery. The whole delivery process end up taking 3 hours, but we were very pleased with our experience.

Going back to my point on the disconnect between the sales and delivery teams, I would suggest CPO buyer to call and get acquainted with the delivery team days prior to delivery in order to avoid unwanted surprises.

My wife has been smiling ear to ear since taking delivery of her Model S. Since the wheels had some curb rashes, we plan to get the slip stream wheels refinished in gunmetal color with satin finish.

Attachments

• 20181008_173618.jpg
    20181008_173618.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 169
I am glad you got a good car. You are lucky.
I have read hundreds of horrible post about CPO.
I had bad experience. They refused to let me see the car till i paid for it. No way was i going to pay for a car without seeing, touching, driving.
I gave up and bought mine from Benz dealer in Atlanta. Paid cash, got a great deal.
Congratulations.

Let me know how long it takes to get your title mailed to you. I picked mine up in Mt. Kisco on Sept. 14th and still haven't received it yet. Maryland won't let me register it until I have that. I reached out to my sales adviser and she said it can take the NY DMV 30 days to mail it. My temp tag expires on Sunday :(

Great post thank you for taking the time!

I took delivery of a CPO MS almost exactly a year ago under the previous CPO refurbishment program. The car was absolutely showroom perfect. It was such a good experience that I thought every three to four years we'd repeat the process. I was so disappointed when they changed the CPO program to mechanically inspected only! And then the horror stories came. So glad to hear your experience was much better!

Did you receive pictures of the car(s) before or after putting down a deposit?

Congrats - I hemmed and hawed about a CPO S vs. a model 3 and ultimately decided to stick with my model 3 reservation. One of my buddies just got a CPO S in CA and is super happy with it. There really are some amazing deals on the website now.

FWIW - apparently New York buyers can only take delivery on a car that is physically in NY due to whatever weird state restrictions on Tesla sales that are in place in some states including New York.

I am glad you got a good car. You are lucky.
I have read hundreds of horrible post about CPO.
I had bad experience. They refused to let me see the car till i paid for it. No way was i going to pay for a car without seeing, touching, driving.
I gave up and bought mine from Benz dealer in Atlanta. Paid cash, got a great deal.
Congratulations.

Can you purchase an extended warranty on your vehicle if buying from a third party (non Tesla) seller?

It is pretty insane that they won't let you see the car till you sign off on the dotted line. If Tesla doesn't let people see the car, they should at least provide better photos of the car.
Let me know how long it takes to get your title mailed to you. I picked mine up in Mt. Kisco on Sept. 14th and still haven't received it yet. Maryland won't let me register it until I have that. I reached out to my sales adviser and she said it can take the NY DMV 30 days to mail it. My temp tag expires on Sunday :(

Will do. Since I paid for tags and registration upfront, I assume Tesla will register the car with DMV. If you picked up the car in NY, then sounds like you would have to get the MD inspection done on your own.

Great post thank you for taking the time!

I took delivery of a CPO MS almost exactly a year ago under the previous CPO refurbishment program. The car was absolutely showroom perfect. It was such a good experience that I thought every three to four years we'd repeat the process. I was so disappointed when they changed the CPO program to mechanically inspected only! And then the horror stories came. So glad to hear your experience was much better!

Did you receive pictures of the car(s) before or after putting down a deposit?

Yes, the sales advisor sent me photos prior to putting down deposit. Even with the photos, I had very low expectation that the process would go as planned. The whole experience could be better if they would provide better photos and vehicle history.

Congrats - I hemmed and hawed about a CPO S vs. a model 3 and ultimately decided to stick with my model 3 reservation. One of my buddies just got a CPO S in CA and is super happy with it. There really are some amazing deals on the website now.

FWIW - apparently New York buyers can only take delivery on a car that is physically in NY due to whatever weird state restrictions on Tesla sales that are in place in some states including New York.

I had a deposit on Model 3 since day one, but my wife needed more cargo capacity. You know what they say - "Happy wife, happy life".

Yeah, I was interested in this one CPO in Massachusetts, but sales advisor told me I would have to pay tax twice for that car. Since this was all new to me, I didn't want deal with all the variables of buying out of state.

Only the original owner can buy a Tesla ESA. So if you are buying from the original owner and they are willing to buy the warranty then pass the cost along, that's the only way. No other third party currently writes tesla warranties.

From what I discussed with the SA with Tesla, you can purchase the ESA as long as you didn't buy from a dealership, so if you bought via private seller and they bought directly from Tesla, you are good.

I confirmed that others have shared similar experiences.

Did you read or were told something different?

I know the website says "3rd party DEALER PURCHASES" are not eligible for the ESA.

Well, it has been over 2 months since delivery and I am now on my second set of temporary tag. Apparently, my car did not have the MD inspection done prior to delivery, which held up the titling process. I am bit frustrated by this because I reminded the delivery center multiple times to have the state inspection done prior to delivery. They reassured me that the state inspection was done when I took delivery.

Well, it has been over 2 months since delivery and I am now on my second set of temporary tag. Apparently, my car did not have the MD inspection done prior to delivery, which held up the titling process. I am bit frustrated by this because I reminded the delivery center multiple times to have the state inspection done prior to delivery. They reassured me that the state inspection was done when I took delivery.

I'm little confused with the term "title". I'm almost at the edge of expiration of the temporary tag as well. Called local tesla and they are reallllllly slow on this. I may need to visit there today since I will be out of town (to another state) and be back 1 day after the expiration date of tag.