Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla comes to Canada!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received this e-mail today:

I'm excited to announce that Tesla Motors will begin taking orders today from customers in Canada, and we'll begin delivering Canadian cars later this year. This is great news for Canada's many car enthusiasts, including scores of Tesla fans who have written passionate e-mails over the years about why Tesla should go north. We listened to you - and we look forward to delivering your cars starting in the fourth quarter of 2009.

Canada is uniquely positioned to become a premier showcase for Tesla, still the only production automaker selling highway-capable electric vehicles in North America. Canada is one of two countries in the world (the other is Norway) where the majority of electricity comes from renewable resources, including run-of-river small hydro, wind, biomass, ocean, geothermal and solar energy.

An EV recharged from the current Canadian grid, on average, would reduce greenhouse gas emissions by about 85 percent compared to an equivalent gasoline-powered vehicle. In hydro-dominant British Columbia, Quebec and Manitoba, the reduction would be an impressive 98 percent.

We are already busy considering retail opportunities in this vast country. In the short term, we are confident that we can serve a large percentage of our customers through retail stores in Seattle and New York, which we plan to open in the first half of this year. Eventually, we envision Tesla-owned retail and service centers in Ontario, British Columbia and possibly Quebec.

The base price for Roadsters in Canada will be set closer to the start of deliveries in the fourth quarter, and pricing will reflect exchange rates at that time. The CA$60,000 reservation fee is refundable, and the remainder of the balance is due upon the start of production, a few months prior to delivery. In the United States, the base price is $109,000.

These Roadsters will comply with all Canadian safety regulations for mass-produced, highway-capable vehicles. As they have for Americans and Europeans, we're certain Roadsters will quickly become the automobile of choice for Canadians who refuse to compromise between performance and efficiency. You can order your Roadster today online, or call us directly at +1-650-413-6300. We look forward to hearing from you!

Doreen Allen
Director of Sales Operations

Since I live in Quebec where the electricity is cheap and most of it comes from Hydro, owning a pure electric vehicle would be awesome. :smile: I recently completed building my house and pre-wired my garage with a 70A 240V circuit for a future electric car. I'm also subscribed to a dual energy heating program where when the temperature is above -12C, my rate is 4.33 cents/kWh. (I heat electric when temperatures are above -12C and below -12C my heating system automatically switches to propane). I know a lot of people think heating with electricity is stupid (including Martin E.) but it is quite common in Quebec. In many places, the only other option is oil or propane, both of which are more expensive then even the regular electricity rates. (First 30kWh per day 5.4c/kWh, remaining 7.33c/kWh, averaged over two months. The only other cost is a fixed charge of 40.64 c/day.)

I've been dreaming of owning an electric car since I was 16. I even bought a Honda CRX in the hopes of converting it. I guess the only remaining obstacle in me getting a Tesla is $$$. Can't wait to see the Model S!!!

They mentioned Norway !! :)

As a matter of fact most heating in Norway is done with electricity. Hmm I'm starting to see a pattern here... Though heat-exchangers are becoming popular.

Speaking of selling Tesla in other countries, anyway heard anything about sales centers in Norway yet ?

Cobos

Would you mind having to go to New York for service?

Well it wouldn't be much different than buyers which aren't located in the few US cities that have a sales centre. New York is about 450 miles from here so driving it would be out of the question. I would guess that the first Canadian city with a dealer would be Toronto since it is the second most populous city in all of North-America. Although closer at 285 miles it still couldn't be done in one shot. (I have a friend in Bellville which is about half way) The next most populous city in Canada (and fourth in NA, ahead of Chicago) is Montreal which is only 130 miles away. I am no where near financially ready to buy a Model S let alone a Roadster so by the time I am ready who knows what will have happened. I just hope Tesla will still be around.

Canadian coverage:

TheStar.com | Wheels | Tesla electric sports car coming to Canada
"We have a huge number of people from Canada asking to be first in line," said Konrad.
Tesla said it will start delivering cars to Canadian customers in the fourth quarter, initially from retail and service facilities opening in New York and Seattle over the coming few months. Eventually, the San Carlos, Calif.-based company plans to open facilities in Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia.
High-profile customers to date include George Clooney, Michael Dell, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Canadian billionaire Jeff Skoll, who is also an early investor in Tesla.
"Canada is the poster child for the electric vehicle," said Konrad, who said Skoll was among those who pushed for sales into Canada.

Elon Musk, Telsa's chief executive and chairman, also has Canadian connections. Musk emigrated from South Africa as a teenager in the late 1980s and went directly to Kingston, where he enrolled at Queen's University. He eventually transferred to the University of Pennsylvania, and went on to found e-commerce company PayPal before it was purchased by eBay in 2002 for $1.5 billion.

Musk's mother is also Canadian, born in Regina, and most of his extended family still lives in Saskatchewan, where Musk once worked on a wheat farm when he first arrived in Canada at the age of 17.

Asked whether the battery packs in the Tesla Roadster can handle punishing Canadian winters, Konrad said most of the extreme cold-weather testing was done on a frozen lake in Sweden, which shares a similar climate to Canada. Norway and Denmark are also among Tesla's top European markets.

"After getting caught in a freak snowstorm in New York City in November, I can personally attest that it performs well in snow," said Konrad.

Asked whether the battery packs in the Tesla Roadster can handle punishing Canadian winters, Konrad said most of the extreme cold-weather testing was done on a frozen lake in Sweden, which shares a similar climate to Canada. Norway and Denmark are also among Tesla's top European markets.

"After getting caught in a freak snowstorm in New York City in November, I can personally attest that it performs well in snow," said Konrad.

From what I have seen and read, I do believe this is accurate. That is (unlike previous EVs) the temperature control system for the batteries makes the Tesla perform fine in relatively extreme cold and warm climates.

But what I am not sure I believe is that it "just works" with no cost. It has to cost a fair amount of energy to either warm or cool the batteries which could significantly reduce range.

Of course perhaps it is all a wash -- it may spend more energy in the beginning keeping the batteries warm, but once the car is in heavy use it has to expend less energy keeping the batteries from overheating. It would be nice to hear something from Tesla directly addressing how the cold (or warm) effects overall range.

It has to cost a fair amount of energy to either warm
Not really. Batteries have a thing called internal resistance. When you are driving that thing heats up the battery. All there is to it is that with very very cold (frozen) battery you might not get all the power out of it. After some time, the battery will heat up and start working as normal. There is no need for special battery heating while driving.

There is such a need when you want to charge it. If it is frozen, it will first heat up above freezing temperatures an then start charging. It's automatic.

Tesla Gets Ready for Push Into Canada

Tesla Motors has announced that its Tesla Roadster will be in the hands of Canadian customers starting in the fourth quarter and is targeting the opening of retail and service facilities in Ontario, British Columbia and Quebec.

However, Canadian media reports are pegging the price of the Roadster at the equivalent of $120,000 in Canada. The car starts at $109,000 in the United States. Also, Canadian purchases apparently will require a $60,000 (U.S.) deposit.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/technology/Feds+begin+testing+electric+vehicle/3707210/story.html
The testing began in April and is expected to last at least two years, she said.

"Now we'll be driving the vehicle around town, seeing how the people react to it, educating the public on electric vehicles and their environment and safety benefits," Procter said.

Because the electric car market is relatively new, Transport Canada has also been tasked with developing test protocols.

Good to see a quote from a Federal Minister (Strahl) in the article...it's about time the Canadian Feds start looking into a Federal rebate program (to supplement any Provincial rebates) as our neighbours to the South have done.

True, in the US we get the federal tax rebate. Other rebates depend on the state in which your car is registered. In Illinois the EV incentive is " No pollution test required". Thank you.

True, in the US we get the federal tax rebate. Other rebates depend on the state in which your car is registered. In Illinois the EV incentive is " No pollution test required". Thank you.

According to this, in Illinois there is a tax rebate of 80% of the vehicle purchase cost, or $4000, whichever is less:

http://www.thecarelectric.com/content/electric-car-benefits-by-state.php

I also thought I read somewhere that there was an additional tax rebate for installing electric vehicle charging equipment at your home, up to $1500 per unit?

My assumption has been that these are in addition to the federal rebates.

There’s no noise to speak of, except the whisper that is characteristic of electric engines. You can select a mode that produces a little more noise up to 50 km/hr to warn pedestrians, but you kind of need a second horn to act as a sound signal, like on the Chevrolet Volt.

Is this just an error in the article, or is this an option (requirement?) available in Canada?

I have a manual system for this Andrew...I just put the window down and yell "get the he!! outta the way, eh?"...:biggrin::wink:

It's portable, so I can take it with me in any car I drive...:biggrin::biggrin:

It is a Canadian system though (eh?), so it might have to be adapted for use elsewhere. :wink:

Is this just an error in the article, or is this an option (requirement?) available in Canada?

According to this, in Illinois there is a tax rebate of 80% of the vehicle purchase cost, or $4000, whichever is less:

http://www.thecarelectric.com/content/electric-car-benefits-by-state.php

I also thought I read somewhere that there was an additional tax rebate for installing electric vehicle charging equipment at your home, up to $1500 per unit?

My assumption has been that these are in addition to the federal rebates.

MODS> this may be going off topic, feel free to move.
Matt, you're right the $4000 tax credit is for vehicles purchased after Dec. 2009. The $1500 tax credit for charging expired Dec, 31, 2010. I have contacted springfield for more info on this and will post when I get a reply.

My #635 was delivered August 2009 to early for the $4000.