Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Chooses Nevada for its GigaFactory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congratulations to the folks from Nevada. I am from California and lobbied for my home state from the beginning. All said, I want the greatest success for Tesla and the Gigafactory. You guys beat California and Texas, two states with much greater resources. Well done, you deserve to be proud.

It certainly didn't help that your Dealers and legislators got together and blocked Tesla from opening Service Centers in Texas. It all so didn't help for your governor to drive up in a Tesla in Fremont (condescending IMO)
I just stated over on the gigafactory investor thread that as a Texas resident I'm sad to see the factory go to Nevada. However, a huge part of me thinks we deserve to lose the factory as payback for our pathetically corrupt politicians caving to the bribes from the TADA.

I just stated over on the gigafactory investor thread that as a Texas resident I'm sad to see the factory go to Nevada. However, a huge part of me thinks we deserve to lose the factory as payback for our pathetically corrupt politicians caving to the bribes from the TADA.

Rockster, thanks for your honesty.........comment..........................they may be corrupt, AND they are STUPID.

Wahoo! One step closer to the Model 3...

I'm amazed that California officials went on break till December without the deal being closed on the GF. It's almost like they wanted to be able to say "we tried" without really trying all that hard. Now they can blame Tesla for not choosing them. Makes no sense to me. Well, congratulations to Nevada!

Ditto that. Texas got what it deserved in this instance, with it's two-faced approach to Tesla.

Texas still got the Space-X spaceport so that's something. Good to have the diversification away from an earthquake prone area as previously stated in this thread. This got mention on MSNBC's Morning Joe just a few minutes ago.
Congratulations to Nevada!

Hutto, Texas in second place: Hutto falls short in bid for Tesla battery factory - Community Impact Newspaper

"...a Tesla representative told him earlier this year the Hutto/Taylor location was one of the company’s final two sites under consideration. Ultimately, Grisham said he believes the Nevada site was chosen because of its proximity to Tesla’s assembly factory in California."

Hopefully the site of factory #2! I thought the plan was to break ground on more than one site. Yet this article implies the second best site is no longer in consideration for anything.

Been enjoying my S85 too much to post, but this is really big news. NPR this morning said the media has dubbed this the "economic development project of the century." I guess time will tell on that point though I hope they're right. The nation and the world need to shift from gasoline to a cleaner alternative energy source.

As far as TX landing in 2nd (or any of the other offers that didn't win), I suspect Tesla will let all competing states look at Nevada's offer and tell them this is the minimum bar. This allows all of them to reconsider their proposals and decide to up their offer or walk away. That's what I would do. Tesla doesn't need to build a 2nd factory right away. They can bide their time, as can the states. I'm sure some states will go into "show me" mode and want to see the start of the economic impact of GF1.

Been enjoying my S85 too much to post, but this is really big news. NPR this morning said the media has dubbed this the "economic development project of the century." I guess time will tell on that point though I hope they're right. The nation and the world need to shift from gasoline to a cleaner alternative energy source.

As far as TX landing in 2nd (or any of the other offers that didn't win), I suspect Tesla will let all competing states look at Nevada's offer and tell them this is the minimum bar. This allows all of them to reconsider their proposals and decide to up their offer or walk away. That's what I would do. Tesla doesn't need to build a 2nd factory right away. They can bide their time, as can the states. I'm sure some states will go into "show me" mode and want to see the start of the economic impact of GF1.

I thought it was telling that Elon emphasized that Nevada came through with 'fastest time to market' proposal. Other states better be paying attention. It's not just the incentives, it's the red tape. (California, are you listening?)

- - - Updated - - -

Gratz to Nevada. Good to see 6500 people getting good honest work for something really meaningful.

Amen. I was stopped last week in the local grocery parking lot (it's right off I-80 on the way to Reno). A woman was asking me if I thought Reno would win the gigafactory (I did think that), because she and her husband really needed the work and were hopeful about Tesla coming to the area. I had an extra smile last night thinking of how happy they had to be over the announcement, along with many other struggling families. Kudos to Elon and all of Tesla.

Had a conversation with a lawn care guy at a red light earlier today. He was a little ambiguous but I know what he meant when he told me that Tesla was looking for a place to build that. He said this while looking at my car but he was talking about the gigafactory. He must not have yet heard the news the looking had stopped.

It gave me goosebumps to think that someone at a red light went out of their way to get my attention and tell me how excited he was about what Tesla is accomplishing. Then he gave me the thumbs up as I teleported away. :biggrin:

I thought it was telling that Elon emphasized that Nevada came through with 'fastest time to market' proposal. Other states better be paying attention. It's not just the incentives, it's the red tape. (California, are you listening?)

CA has had to contend with some very serious environmental issues. Granted, the CEQA regulations need to be tweaked (and this is something Jerry is looking into), but they are there for a very good reason. Other states like Nevada have not experienced environmental impacts on the same scale.