Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Charging options for 2012-15

Tesla on-board charging sockets

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a new house, the max I can get is 3x40A and I have to share this with me electric cooking and oven.
Also take into account that in the Netherlands there is a huge price difference between getting 3x25A or 3x40A.
1x40A or 3x25A = € 185,- / year
3x25A - 3x35A = € 780,- / year
3x35A - 3x50A = € 1148,- / year

This is just for the capacity of the connection..
So for me the max will probably be 3x25A and a smart EVSE that will limit the power to the car when other appliances are used.

we had a big discussion while the Tesla store opening in Milan. All the audience agreed when i addressed this problem to Elon Musk. Later i discussed this with JB Straubel and he promised to me to work hard for Model S to offer 3-phase charging for Europe.
Even Georg Blankenship respond to this later in his Tesla-Letter. Therefore I am in good hope to get this.

Coming back to the design, Tesla needs a connector system which will work on a variety of cars which will use the Model S platform.

Maybe the Charge "Pod" at the front of the vehicle could open up to reveal one uber Tesla connector and two or three recepticles which each hold an adapter. The adapters are solid - no cables - and have a tesla plug at one end and a different socket at the other, J1772, Mennekes, whatever. The customer picks their choice of adapters along with the other options (seats, audio package etc). The obvious ones for a particular territory should really come as standard at no extra cost. The adapters are always stored in the front of the vehicle next to where they will be needed - not rattling around taking up space in the trunk or accidentaly left on a garage shelf at home.

The advantage of using the Tesla connector is that if the charge pod door is open then the Tesla uber connector and the bottom of the recepticles can electro-mechanically lock all of the adapters in place when the owner locks the car doors. Adapters can't be stolen.

Obviously some clown can still disconnect the commercial plug from the front of the adapter, but a few arcing incidents (plus this action could be made to set off the car's alarm) and word will get round that this is not a smart move.

trouble is, this just seems more costly/complex than just three different sockets in a row.

Last edited: