Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Charging in NYC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m struggling to find good places to charge my Tesla in NYC. Most of them are in parking garages which will charge you a parking fee. I found this one that will only charge you $5 to park and charge for 1.5 hours: Atlantic Center
625 Atlantic Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11217: Atlantic Center | PlugShare

The parking fee jumps to $45 if you stay longer than 1.5 hours. So I charged my Tesla for an hour. I have a 2022 Model 3 Long Range. My SoC was at 53%, when I plugged it in, it said it would take 2 hr 45 min to charge up to 90%. This seems slow for a Tesla super charger am I right? So I left it plugged in for 1 hr 10 min to get up to 70% and then left to avoid the $45 parking fee.

What’s the best way to figure out the best places to charge in NYC? I don’t want to pay a $45 parking fee on top of the charging fees.

I live in NYC as well. I am in Manhattan and pay $$$ for the spot + charging included so I understand the frustration.

NYC has a pilot for curbside charging at a few places around the city, NYC DOT - Electric Vehicles.

Also search for the evconnect charging on Google Maps they have a lot of charging stations around the city that are in garages and at surface level parking.

I took a picture, it says Tesla on it, could it be anything other than a Supercharger?

C126AAF3-F5A5-41E2-A966-4CE07D034436.jpeg

Checking out NYC Tesla Superchargers online, it looks like they’re all 72kW. There is a Supercharger near Prospect Park at the Brooklyn Museum and another up in Williamsburg. Not sure if you need to pay to access those as well. For a speedier charge than 72kW, you can get 150mW at JFK, but you may have to pay to get into a parking lot. Otherwise, you’d have to pay multiple tolls driving to New Jersey (adding a decent amount of mileage and travel time) to get 150kW in Elizabeth, or 250kW in Kearny as your closest alternatives to NYC.

I took a picture, it says Tesla on it, could it be anything other than a Supercharger?

View attachment 818805
That’s not a Supercharger. It is a High Power Wall Connector (also known as a home charger or destination charger) I thought it tops out at 11kW, but the map of Tesla chargers shows the one on Atlantic Ave. as 72kW. You’d have to check your display or app while charging to see what that metric actually is. The higher the kW number, the faster the car charges with a low SOC.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
There is NO free parking in NYC. These are destination charges (Tesla Wall Chargers) or Level 2 chargers. Usually L2 charges will provide about 20mph. The 72Kwh Urban chargers are designed to charge you in 1-2 hours while you dine or shop. The JFK SC is free.

Last edited:
That’s not a Supercharger. It is a High Power Wall Connector (also known as a home charger or destination charger) I thought it tops out at 11kW, but the map of Tesla chargers shows the one on Atlantic Ave. as 72kW. You’d have to check your display or app while charging to see what that metric actually is. The higher the kW number, the faster the car charges with a low SOC.
Ya, no way that's anything over 22kw(80A x 277V). The power cord would literally be in flames at 72kw.

I’m struggling to find good places to charge my Tesla in NYC. Most of them are in parking garages which will charge you a parking fee. I found this one that will only charge you $5 to park and charge for 1.5 hours: Atlantic Center

The parking fee jumps to $45 if you stay longer than 1.5 hours. So I charged my Tesla for an hour. I have a 2022 Model 3 Long Range. My SoC was at 53%, when I plugged it in, it said it would take 2 hr 45 min to charge up to 90%. This seems slow for a Tesla super charger am I right? So I left it plugged in for 1 hr 10 min to get up to 70% and then left to avoid the $45 parking fee.

What’s the best way to figure out the best places to charge in NYC? I don’t want to pay a $45 parking fee on top of the charging fees.
For charging, Level 1 (L1) is plugging into a 120 volt wall outlet. What you used is Level 2 (L2) equipment, AC electricity delivery at 208 or 240 volts. That specific type of L2 hardware, called a Tesla Wall Connector, is Tesla's version of what people might install at home for overnight charging or at various commercial locations with the intention of supplying some charge over a couple of hours. Superchargers are Level 3 chargers and deliver DC electricity directly to the battery without going through the car's onboard charger that converts AC power to DC. Superchargers are designed to give a full charge in anywhere between 40 minutes to 1.5 hours.

There are two form factors for superchargers, if it doesn't look like one of the following, it's not a supercharger:
*Traditional
1655747029909.png

*Urban
1655747068205.png

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

So, a bit of confusion here. At that Atlantic Center there are both (urban) 72kW superchargers AND destination chargers. So, it's easy to think you're looking at the info for one and are actually seeing the info for the other. @GrandWazoo you should go back and try using the superchargers and see if that will be a better match to your charging needs than the destination charger you used before. Note, the two charging stations are listed separately on Plugshare, here's the supercharger listing: Brooklyn Supercharger | PlugShare.

I don't know if the superchargers are right next to the destination chargers or if they're in different sections of the parking garage there, but the superchargers are on level P2, in the back corner. Pictures from Plugshare show that there's a big TESLA sign painted on the wall behind them.

1655747666062.png

So, a bit of confusion here. At that Atlantic Center there are both (urban) 72kW superchargers AND destination chargers. So, it's easy to think you're looking at the info for one and are actually seeing the info for the other. @GrandWazoo you should go back and try using the superchargers and see if that will be a better match to your charging needs than the destination charger you used before. Note, the two charging stations are listed separately on Plugshare, here's the supercharger listing: Brooklyn Supercharger | PlugShare.

I don't know if the superchargers are right next to the destination chargers or if they're in different sections of the parking garage there, but the superchargers are on level P2, in the back corner. Pictures from Plugshare show that there's a big TESLA sign painted on the wall behind them.

View attachment 818854
You’ll definitely charge much faster at the Supercharger than the HPWC destination charger (which if connected to a 60 amp circuit will give you about 46 MPH of charge) on a MY.

Brooklyn Superhub

FREE parking

$0.39/kWh + tax

Superwash Express Car Wash

FREE parking

$0.38/kWh

Walmart

FREE parking

EVgo prices

Icahn Stadium

FREE parking

12am - 8am $0.25/kWh
8am - 10pm $0.30/kWh
10pm - 12am $0.00/kWh

Brooklyn Superhub

FREE parking

$0.39/kWh + tax

Thanks, I just tried the Brooklyn Superhub, parking was in fact free. Charging was also much faster. It took 30 minutes to go from 60 - 90% SoC. Compared to yesterday where it took 70 minutes to go from 53 - 70%.

Reactions: Mockingbird

View attachment 818854
Thanks, I didn’t see that, it must be a separate section of the garage. Of course the garage staff was not helpful. They probably have no idea what the difference is.

• Funny
Reactions: mociaf9
Thanks, I just tried the Brooklyn Superhub, parking was in fact free. Charging was also much faster. It took 30 minutes to go from 60 - 90% SoC. Compared to yesterday where it took 70 minutes to go from 53 - 70%.
You're welcome.

Believe it or not, another user was complaining about the same issue a few months ago.

Charging in NYC certainly takes a bit of planning.

I'm not local, but I've heard about that site. The Tesla DC fast charging is done via Tesla CHAdeMO adapters on (some?) of the DC fast chargers, which are actually Tritium CCS/CHAdeMO units. (The CHAdeMO adapter is even visible in some of the PlugShare photos of the site.) This adapter provides 50 kW (maximum) charging of the Tesla. That's a lot better than the 7-12 kW that you'd get using an L2 Tesla Wall Connector (depending on the Tesla model and exact voltage at the site), and it's close to the 72 kW at Tesla's urban Superchargers; but it's still pretty distant from the 150 kW available at V2 Superchargers or 250 kW at V3 Superchargers (assuming your Tesla can handle that; not all of them can).

50 kW may be perfectly adequate for your needs, of course; if so, and if the site is convenient, then you might as well keep using it. If you need something faster, though, you could keep looking -- either for a genuine Tesla Supercharger or for L2 charging that won't cost you an arm and a leg for parking. Both Tesla and other providers are building out their networks, so something may pop up in the future, even if it's not available today. It's worth checking PlugShare every month or two.

One more point: Tesla is now selling a CCS1 adapter that, on fast enough CCS stations (like the 350 kW Electrify America stalls) can produce close to 200 kW. There are caveats, though. First, it's currently officially sold only in South Korea. Second, it works only on fairly recent Teslas (made after October of 2020, IIRC). There are workarounds for both caveats. For the first, there's a grey-market importer, so you can get the adapter here in the US if you need it. For the second, it's possible to buy the updated Tesla charging control board and update yours, if you need it, but the process is a bit tedious and requires a custom wiring harness. (I don't happen to have a link to the thread where this is discussed handy.) This adapter is discussed extensively in this thread. Anyhow, using this adapter might be another option if the 50 kW site you've found isn't fast enough and you can't find a Supercharger site that fits your needs. You'd probably get better speed even at that Brooklyn Superhub site by using Tesla's CCS adapter rather than the CHAdeMO adapter that the site provides. If your Tesla is old enough to not support CCS and you don't want to muck with the charging control board yourself, you could wait. Tesla has promised to sell the CCS adapter directly in the US, and they may offer official upgrades at that time. At the moment, we're left waiting and have no idea when Tesla might make good on this promise; it could be tomorrow or two years from now.

This doesn't address your question but NYC is by choice extremely car unfriendly. Parking is disastrous, competent repair shops are rare and bridge tolls are the equivalent of usury. Google Maps only shows 8 gas stations in all of Manhattan. Other sources from 5 years ago variously estimate <30 gas stations in Manhattan.

In the future, it should be easier to create a BEV charging network, but NYC politically supports mass transit, taxis and ride sharing, not private cars.

Reactions: Eric33432
This doesn't address your question but NYC is by choice extremely car unfriendly. Parking is disastrous, competent repair shops are rare and bridge tolls are the equivalent of usury. Google Maps only shows 8 gas stations in all of Manhattan. Other sources from 5 years ago variously estimate <30 gas stations in Manhattan.

In the future, it should be easier to create a BEV charging network, but NYC politically supports mass transit, taxis and ride sharing, not private cars.
Yes, I'm painfully aware of that! Funny that they supposedly support mass transit but can't build anymore subway lines. It took 50 years to build 3 extra stops on the Q train, pathetic. Read this to see what I'm talking about.

I’m wondering what the best strategy is for the days I’m in NYC. I can charge in my garage in NJ at least once a week. Should I top off to 95% there and just not charge for the days I’m in NYC? I’m not driving that many miles in the city. Is it harmful to the battery to charge up to 100%?