Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was lucky enough to move to an apartment complex that already had a ChargePoint station in place. It enabled me to buy the Model S, and now a second person in the building has one. I've spoken to a third person just recently that was considering one, and their primary concern was charging. Even with the charger in place, I was quite concerned about buying the car without a place to leave it plugged in for extended periods. I don't do much driving during the week, and it's been a non-issue for me, at least so far.

Wait 3 people are sharing one plug? that sounds like a major hassel

Wait 3 people are sharing one plug? that sounds like a major hassel

Well, it's what's available. The station has one J1772, and one NEMA 15-20. 4 months in and it's been no problem. I drive infrequently, and only need to charge once a week or so. Most people that live in apartments have it far worse. Honestly, I'm really happy they have the station, otherwise I wouldn't be able to own the car.

I know of a company that actually does specialize in EV charging for apartments/condos, no sure if its cool to say on the forum so if anyone has interest or needs the contact they can Private Message me. Dont want to be spammy lol
Of course you know of a company, you work for said company, which is what this whole thread was about (I was just waiting to see how long you were going to take before saying anything).

Check his reddit user history, and here are more details (read the entire, but short, thread, and note how he 'deleted' the thread, so it doesn't show up in his post history in the first link I mentioned).

I really don't understand how a company dedicated to the future doesn't understand that astroturfing is not cool at all, and just makes people resent the company/product.

An option is to contact ChargePoint and pass along the contact info for property owner; ChargePoint may be able to contact them and arrange to install a station. I was able to make that happen at Univ. of AL. One cautionary note is that the ChargePoint power is quite a bit more expensive than prevailing electric rates in the area. In my case, the ChargePoint station charges your card 85 cents per hour (regardless of the amount of power being drawn). Since my LEAF pulls only 3.5 KW when charging, this is 2.4 times the rate for electricity at my house; but it is convenient, that's for sure.

Of course you know of a company, you work for said company, which is what this whole thread was about (I was just waiting to see how long you were going to take before saying anything).

Check his reddit user history, and here are more details (read the entire, but short, thread, and note how he 'deleted' the thread, so it doesn't show up in his post history in the first link I mentioned).

I really don't understand how a company dedicated to the future doesn't understand that astroturfing is not cool at all, and just makes people resent the company/product.
A similar attempt was made years ago although not in an astroturf way (but rather a direct ad):
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...Charging-for-Model-S-in-Condos-and-Apartments

Not exactly. If they wanted to, they could slow your charging down to Level 2 or lower if they wanted since they already authorize via VIN. Still 'free charging for life' albeit at a much slower pace.

In order to do this they would have to have a list of all VINs accessible to all Superchargers at all times. That requires 100% network connectivity. That introduces a potential point of failure which could be very detrimental to the customer.

I actually don't think they do that at all. I think the "Is this car Supercharger-enabled" is just a bit set in the memory of the car itself. Plug in an S60 which isn't Supercharger-enabled, and it will tell you that it's not Supercharger-enabled. Simple. Reliable.

So, does anyone know how the "is this car enabled" check is actually implemented?

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I suppose it doesn't require network connectivity at all times, if there is a copy of the full VIN data at each site. I just... really don't think they're doing it that way.

In order to do this they would have to have a list of all VINs accessible to all Superchargers at all times. That requires 100% network connectivity. That introduces a potential point of failure which could be very detrimental to the customer.
Don't the superchargers already have 100% network connectivity already? It streams all consumption data in real time to HQ and allows Tesla to remotely diagnose problems. In the case of network failure, maybe it has a fallback, but I think the default assumption is that it does have connectivity.

I dont think they would ever throttle superchargers that basically defeats the whole purpose of them in the first place. As for charging in Apartments I don't think its possible to install a Level 3 charger they need too much power so I think the only option would be a Level 2. The problem would eventually be sharing with others but right now I dont think there are that many EVs out there for this to happen. Although in the near future I don't doubt it would become an issue.