Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lane keep assist that just nudges your car and lane departure warning are not L2. Your 2011 Prius was only L1 since it just had adaptive cruise control.

My L1 2011 Prius was a pleasure to drive on the highway because it never suffered from phantom braking... not once. Lane departure warning and nudging once saved my life when I was more tired than I realized and started dozing off. It also came years before AP1 and by the time AP1 was available -- as I already stated -- the fact that other manufacturers were not providing full hands-off lane keeping was their choices, not a limitation of the available technology. If Toyota had wanted to, they could have turned that nudge into a full-on lane keeping system -- the technology is almost exactly the same. But they didn't, and neither did anybody else, because they were being conservative with new technology with legitimate safety concerns. Tesla has never been conservative in that way, so they get to be "first".

My L1 2011 Prius was a pleasure to drive on the highway because it never suffered from phantom braking... not once. Lane departure warning and nudging once saved my life when I was more tired than I realized and started dozing off. It also came years before AP1 and by the time AP1 was available -- as I already stated -- the fact that other manufacturers were not providing full hands-off lane keeping was their choices, not a limitation of the available technology. If Toyota had wanted to, they could have turned that nudge into a full-on lane keeping system -- the technology is almost exactly the same. But they didn't, and neither did anybody else, because they were being conservative with new technology with legitimate safety concerns. Tesla has never been conservative in that way, so they get to be "first".

I've always been interested in future tech. It's a big reason actually why I was attracted to Tesla in the first place. if the choice is between Tesla's AP or some conservative L1 system, I want Autopilot. I much prefer Tesla's approach because I get to use more advanced features. I am ok with the risk and I am ok with it being flawed.

And one more thing: I had a coupe phantom braking incidents last year but none in 2019.

Last edited:
I made this. I thought it would be clever and funny for this Friday.

upload_2019-5-3_9-30-45.png

I don't know. I think it is pretty accurate, the Tesla owners on AP2 checking out the new FSD computer.

I’m not. It is a distant unknown. Nor is my AP2 annoyed, it is oblivious of most things, rain included. :)

I’m not saying this to — ahem — rain on your parade, as I said I come from a different place. Maybe folks with AP2.5 are more like that. I can’t be bothered anymore with future dreams. The only thing that matters are the upgrades that actually install inside my car when they do, if they do.

I see you dream about the FSD computer. I’m serious when I say I don’t give it two thoughts. It is in the fool me twice territory. All that matters are results shipped. Rest is talk on the Internet.

This is more like me:

Annex%20-%20Bergman,%20Ingrid%20(Gaslight)_NRFPT_02.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
I’m not. It is a distant unknown. Nor is my AP2 annoyed, it is oblivious of most things, rain included. :)

I’m not saying this to — ahem — rain on your parade, as I said I come from a different place. Maybe folks with AP2.5 are more like that. I can’t be bothered anymore with future dreams. The only thing that matters are the upgrades that actually install inside my car when they do, if they do.

This is more like me:

Annex%20-%20Bergman,%20Ingrid%20(Gaslight)_NRFPT_02.jpg

I guess the meme is how I feel. :)

As I said maybe AP2.5 works better in it. Less disappointment.

My AP2.5 is terrible. Hits the brakes constantly for no reason in recent firmware.

I guess I keep forgetting how pessimistic you Model S AP2 owners are.

I'm a Model S and Model 3 owner, both HW2.5. If the people with more experience seem more pessimistic, what should that tell you?

This whole discussion just makes me wonder how quickly FSD computer will receive a big new upgrade everyone will be clamoring over. I figure most owners with AP1-2 might be more like below:

View attachment 403688
If I remember correctly at the "autonomy day" presentation they already said that the next version of the NN chip will be 3x faster.

My AP2.5 is terrible. Hits the brakes constantly for no reason in recent firmware.

Weird. I sometimes get an occasional "hiccup" with the brakes but only when approaching a car stopped at a red light. But other than that, my AP2.5 has been wonderful.

I'm a Model S and Model 3 owner, both HW2.5. If the people with more experience seem more pessimistic, what should that tell you?

That I should ignore my good experiences and be pessimistic too because the older Tesla owners tell me too and that I am not allowed to have positive experiences with my car? ;)

I have a 2017 Toyota Highlander with LDA and LKA, and it leaves a bit to be desired as far as I am concerned. Also the TACC is not full speed range which is garbage.

Primary complaint:
The LDA beeps loudly when you depart your lane or it thinks you will be departing your lane. This results in my wife turning off the system, and requesting that the system be turned off when I am driving it. You cannot turn off this beeping or turn down the volume AFAIK (perhaps it can be adjusted with a Toyota system which can talk to the computer and program it). Steering wheel vibration is so much nicer - Toyota does not have it.

Secondary complaint:

The LKA feature is very weak. It is somewhat useful for keeping fairly centered in your lane particularly on perfectly straight freeways, decreasing mental load/microadjustments for long road trips, but if you try to go around an unexpected curve with it, you will be hitting the barrier. It has very little correction.

In 2018 Toyota changed the description of their LKA feature, and it sounds like it might be stronger now - but have not had a chance to drive a modern Toyota (I believe all Toyotas have these features standard now...which is awesome...really have to look for Toyotas when renting cars...). Did some more looking and the vast majority of features are standard but there are some small differences model to model - like not all have full speed range TACC still! But overall all cars are well equipped with TACC. The LTA (Lane Trace Assist) - the description change I mention above - may not be all that useful. I did not see anything in the description that sounded like the LKA feature is stronger than it is in my current vehicle but hard to know...

I hope the Tesla features will have stronger correction. I may have to turn off the non-emergency correction (as I fairly frequently set off the vibration right now when I cross bike lane markers, etc. - yes, I realize signaling will solve that problem but there are situations where it is not appropriate - and I may not want correction in these cases).

Last edited:

What I meant was maybe with AP2.5 there is less disappointment with the timeline. By the time AP2.5 was available, the reality was known far better than it was in October 2016 so at least that could be factored in. Perhaps.

Of course with April 22nd we are in danger of another generation of disappointed people if Tesla does not deliver.