Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3sr+ Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TeslaAccel.png

A plot of acceleration vs time for my Model 3. I used the accelerometer on my iPhone as the data source. I held WOT until the speedometer read 60mph then released. I'm sure the reason the 0-60 time looks so slow is due to the lag in the digital speedo, but you may at least find it interesting as to how many Gs you can pull when you punch it. I find it curious that the Gs fall off at a linear rate right at 4 seconds. That has to be in the software...right?

The deceleration of 0.15Gs is with regen set to Standard. I've seen that number before... it's the force applied to your head when a phantom braking event occurs. :)

Nice data! This is my preferred method of measuring performance too. Reason you start to see the acceleration tail off around 4 seconds in your graph is that the car switches from "constant torque" mode to "constant power" mode where torque drops off as the motor RPMs rise. This is at about 45 mph. Yes, it's in the software, but it's just kind of how electric motors work (high torque at very low RPMs, falling off as motor speed rises).

Yes, it's in the software, but it's just kind of how electric motors work (high torque at very low RPMs, falling off as motor speed rises).

Most electric motors do not naturally behave this way. The torque curve we see for the Tesla (and most other EVs) is due to the inverter design, which is conforming to torque and power limits.

A typical industrial AC induction motor that does not use an inverter has maximum torque at about 75% of synchronous speed, not at 0 RPM.

Some electric motors, like a synchronous motor, have virtually no torque at 0 RPM, and have to be started using other means.