Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 key card in apple watch wallet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I long wistfully for the days before everyone was connected all the time. I do my best to give my kid as much of the experiences I had growing up as I can. As in … he can wander our (admittedly safe suburban) neighborhood at his leisure. He has the boundaries he can’t cross but aside from that — be back for dinner. Go have fun with your friends, but if you get caught doing something stupid, there’ll be hell to pay.

Maybe that’ll put me in prison one day, but so far, so good.

Please, don’t take it as judgemental or insulting or the like — not at all!! I’m genuinely curious if others try to find “disconnect” time for themselves and their kids …. I suspect I’m way outside the norm here.
My parents, my brothers and sister, my kids all managed without the electronic leash.
We all lived to tell about it.

I long wistfully for the days before everyone was connected all the time. I do my best to give my kid as much of the experiences I had growing up as I can. As in … he can wander our (admittedly safe suburban) neighborhood at his leisure. He has the boundaries he can’t cross but aside from that — be back for dinner. Go have fun with your friends, but if you get caught doing something stupid, there’ll be hell to pay.

Maybe that’ll put me in prison one day, but so far, so good.

Please, don’t take it as judgemental or insulting or the like — not at all!! I’m genuinely curious if others try to find “disconnect” time for themselves and their kids …. I suspect I’m way outside the norm here.
...boomer... ;)

Reactions: Jane4
Hey guys. I just posted this in the Model Y forum, but thought I‘d repost it here for those who are not aware or do not currently have/use the “Watch App for Tesla” app on their watch.

The BIG BIG news is the developer just released an update (1.2.7), which when enabled, allows the app (on your watch) to connect directly to the vehicle via bluetooth and be registered as a separate/independent key fob. So, that means you no longer need your phone or physical key card to access/operate the vehicle (since your app/watch now connects to the vehicle by bluetooth). An internet/wifi connection is no longer needed. So, as the developer states in his latest release notes, your watch can be completely offline in the middle of the desert (no cellular or internet connection) and it will still work to open/operate your vehicle.
Of course, this means you can leave your phone or physical key card at home if you want to… although I would not recommend doing so since it’s always good to have a backup on hand just in case anything unexpected happens to your watch. I tested this new feature/functionality and can confirm it works as advertised/intended.

Check it out if you’re interested…

Thank you everybody, that is saving me a lot of time trying to get the Tesla card key on my Apple Watch. So in conclusion I will need to buy an extra app to get my watch to at least open the Tesla? Thank you again
I don't understand why you want it on the watch. The app works perfectly well on the phone. Just curious. I love my Apple Watch but don't really need it to do more. It already acts as a "Dick Tracy" phone connection--that is a hoot.

Hey guys. I just posted this in the Model Y forum, but thought I‘d repost it here for those who are not aware or do not currently have/use the “Watch App for Tesla” app on their watch.

The BIG BIG news is the developer just released an update (1.2.7), which when enabled, allows the app (on your watch) to connect directly to the vehicle via bluetooth and be registered as a separate/independent key fob. So, that means you no longer need your phone or physical key card to access/operate the vehicle (since your app/watch now connects to the vehicle by bluetooth). An internet/wifi connection is no longer needed. So, as the developer states in his latest release notes, your watch can be completely offline in the middle of the desert (no cellular or internet connection) and it will still work to open/operate your vehicle.
Of course, this means you can leave your phone or physical key card at home if you want to… although I would not recommend doing so since it’s always good to have a backup on hand just in case anything unexpected happens to your watch. I tested this new feature/functionality and can confirm it works as advertised/intended.

Check it out if you’re interested…
Yep--just checked the App store--and there does appear to be a $20.00 app--plus, if you scroll down there are more Tesla apps described.

I don't understand why you want it on the watch. The app works perfectly well on the phone. Just curious. I love my Apple Watch but don't really need it to do more. It already acts as a "Dick Tracy" phone connection--that is a hoot.
I wouldn't say it's for everyone. For those of us with cellular connected watches, one could leave their phone behind (turned off) during workouts, hikes, etc. While carrying only their watch. I guess one could use any smartwatch this way, but cell connected watches slow is to make phone calls and access some data on the go as well. It's just a bit of flexibility...

Reactions: Jane4
I wouldn't say it's for everyone. For those of us with cellular connected watches, one could leave their phone behind (turned off) during workouts, hikes, etc. While carrying only their watch. I guess one could use any smartwatch this way, but cell connected watches slow is to make phone calls and access some data on the go as well. It's just a bit of flexibility...
Yup--I get it. Thanks.

For those of us with cellular connected watches, one could leave their phone behind (turned off) during workouts, hikes, etc. while carrying only their watch...

Just to clarify, the recently updated Watch App for Tesla now allows you to register your watch as an independent key fob and now connects to your vehicle via Bluetooth. So, this means you no longer need a cellular plan on your watch or have a cellular/internet connection in order for your watch to turn-on/operate the vehicle. Some may consider this an extremely useful new feature. Some might not care…

You need to have cel connectivity to start the car, none needed to unlock it.
Also you need to tap a button to start the car so therefor imho not a true break from the phone.
I can confirm what you’ve stated above is absolute not true.

I do not have cellular service on my watch (Apple Watch Ultra) and I’ve made several drives where my phone was powered off completely (which means my watch is the only device/key fob that is being recognized by the vehicle).
So, during all those drives, my watch (which does not have any cellular or internet connectivity) was acting the only connected device/key fob to the vehicle. My watch was/is indeed able to unlock, start and operate the vehicle as normal.
Also, you do not need to tap on a separate button to start the vehicle. The only thing you need to do on your watch is to tap on the app icon to make sure the app is running. When the app is running and you are within bluetooth range of the vehicle, the app will quickly establish a connection and you will be able to open/start/operate the vehicle exactly the same way as if you had your phone or physical key card with you.

So, I can confirm this watch app can function as a true stand-alone key fob (without any cellular/internet connectivity) and can be a true break from your phone, if you want use your watch in this manner.

In case anyone is interested, here are some additional observations/comments I made about this updated app in the Model Y forum:
Post in thread 'Apple Watch'
Apple Watch

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Chi_Guy and KenC

I do not have cellular service on my watch (Apple Watch Ultra) and I’ve made several drives where my phone was powered off completely (which means my watch is the only device/key fob that is being recognized by the vehicle).
So, during all those drives, my watch (which does not have any cellular or internet connectivity) was acting the only connected device/key fob to the vehicle. My watch was/is indeed able to unlock, start and operate the vehicle as normal.
Also, you do not need to tap on a separate button to start the vehicle. The only thing you need to do on your watch is to tap on the app icon to make sure the app is running. When the app is running and you are within bluetooth range of the vehicle, the app will quickly establish a connection and you will be able to open/start/operate the vehicle exactly the same way as if you had your phone or physical key card with you.

So, I can confirm this watch app can function as a true stand-alone key fob (without any cellular/internet connectivity) and can be a true break from your phone, if you want use your watch in this manner.

In case anyone is interested, here are some additional observations/comments I made about this updated app in the Model Y forum:
Apple Watch
Turn off cellular on your iPhone and see what happens

Screen shot of the app description

32B0FA11-9547-4F96-8306-05659518DE18.png

• Informative
Reactions: KenC

Apple Watch
Don't doubt you, since I have no experience with any Tesla related Watch app. Curious though, did you start drives in a vicinity where your iPhone would have WiFi? If so, WiFi login credentials are transferred to a Watch. Even if an iPhone is powered down, a Watch can still have internet capabilities.

Some apps, that allow you to unlock your car and drive, are pricey, Stats, and some are cheap, EVWatch, and some are in the middle WatchforTesla. I have all 3, plus others, but I currently use WatchforTesla in a complication on my Watch. Remember, you need a network connection, so the cellular version Watch is required.
I also use (and like) WatchForTesla, but I dont think you need a cellular version of Apple Watch .. as long as your phone is close by and has cellular (or any internet) the watch app should work as it can piggy back off the phone connection (can't test this atm because my watch is being repaired).

• Informative
The watch needs an internet connection. If can do this in several ways (roughly the order it tries):

-- BT to your phone, using the phone as a network bridge (either to cellular or whatever WiFi network the phone is using)
-- WiFi directly from the watch, assuming it has a WiFi connection
-- Cellular from the watch, assuming you have a cellular watch model and are in range of a tower.

Don't doubt you, since I have no experience with any Tesla related Watch app. Curious though, did you start drives in a vicinity where your iPhone would have WiFi? If so, WiFi login credentials are transferred to a Watch. Even if an iPhone is powered down, a Watch can still have internet capabilities.

Alright guys, you inspired me to do some additional test drives to address/answer your comments from above.
This time, I powered off my phone and put it in a closet on the opposite end of my garage/house, which is about 80 feet (and separated by concrete walls) from the garage where my Model 3 is parked. Again, my watch does not have a cellular plan and was definitely not connected/tethered to my phone in any way. Not sure about other smart watches, but with an Apple Watch, you can tell whenever the watch is not connected to the phone by a specific symbol that appears on the watch face whenever the watch is not connected to the phone. Whenever this symbol appears (and you do not have a separate cellular plan on the watch), this means your watch is essentially a dumb watch/device. I even took it one step further and turned off Wi-Fi on my watch. So, at this point, my watch was truly just a dumb device with zero connectivity to anything (i.e. no cellular, no Wi-Fi, no RF, no ESP,… I think/hope you get the point).

So then, I walked out to my vehicle in the garage, touched the Watch App for Tesla icon on my watch and it immediately connected to my vehicle via bluetooth. At this point, my vehicle recognized my watch as a registered stand-alone key fob and allowed me to start the vehicle and pull/drive away from my house. I drove a few miles down the road to a local grocery store (Wegmans), parked the vehicle, touched the lock icon on my watch (which also enabled sentry mode). I want to emphasize that I did not have my phone or physical key card with me (both of these were at home). The only thing on me was my “dumb” Apple Watch (since it does not have a cellular plan and was therefore not connected to anything other than my vehicle via bluetooth). So, moving on with my story/test, I went inside the grocery store for a few minutes to shop around. Then, I returned to my parked vehicle to find that it was still locked and sentry mode was still on/active. It was clear sentry mode was still active/working, because I purposely approached my vehicle and pulled on the door handle without touching the Watch App for Tesla icon on my watch. So, my vehicle captured/recorded my approach as a sentry mode event. I consider this a successful test that everything was working properly.

Now, for the next and perhaps most important test: could I open, start and operate my vehicle with my dumb watch that was completely disconnected from my phone (which was at home and several miles away from my current location). As expected, the answer is YES. Once I touched the Watch App for Tesla icon on my watch, it immediately connected to my vehicle via bluetooth and I was able to open my vehicle door, start the vehicle and drive home.

So, in summary, the app works exactly has advertised/intended. Your watch can be completely disconnected from everything. You can be in the middle of the desert with no cellular or internet connectivity and your watch will still unlock, start and operate the vehicle as if you had your phone or physical key card with you. I’m not sure how much more clear I can make this. This app works as advertised/intended. You just have to decide for yourself if having this functionality is worth the current price of admission.

Peace out, nerds!!! 🤓

Just to clarify, the recently updated Watch App for Tesla now allows you to register your watch as an independent key fob and now connects to your vehicle via Bluetooth. So, this means you no longer need a cellular plan on your watch or have a cellular/internet connection in order for your watch to turn-on/operate the vehicle. Some may consider this an extremely useful new feature. Some might not care…
Interesting, I've had this app for some time and had not noticed this new feature.

Interesting, I've had this app for some time and had not noticed this new feature.
Yeah, the developer released this new update/feature (version 1.2.7) just this past week.
So, update the app using your phone and then your watch should automatically sync/update with your phone.

Of course, once the update is installed, you have to manually enable this new bluetooth/key fob feature.
This procedure requires that you use your original key card to authenticate/add your watch as an additional key fob that will be linked to your current driver profile. I like the added security provided by this authentication process. Assuming you are the only person that has possession of your original physical key card, this means only you have the ability to register/add your watch as a key fob. Of course, you can also unregister/remove your watch as a key fob anytime you want to (like when sell or discard your watch).

• Informative
Good to know.