Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Temportunity Console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my take on the Temportunity Console. I took at $17.99 Staples Mission Faux Leather Box (Available in-stores only for some reason) and THE MUGGER Black HD Folding Cup Holder

20130113_130248.jpg

amazoncupholder.jpg

And made this Temportunity Console with large cup holder:

20130217_202413.jpg

20130217_202822.jpg

Sitting in the car:

20130217_202946.jpg

To build it, I tapered the front edge of the box only similar to what ISF but didn't bother making it look good on the bottom since its a temporary solution for now. Colored the treads red with a red Sharpie (In retrospect, black would have been nicer). Added the cup holder to the front side. Also added a magnet to hold my mailbox key so it wouldn't fall to the bottom of the box. Anyhow, total project time and cost was 2 hours and about $30.

Last edited:
Found a black leather storage box that fits in the center console

Piel Leather model 2352 is 6"x8", black leather, magnetic closure. If you put a few rubber feet (spacers) under, fits perfectly under the dash (without the spacers it sits on the sides of the console a bit) -- also leaves space under it to slide whatever you want underneath. They cost about $50 or so on Amazon, but I spoke with Piel and can get them for about $35 wholesale if there is enough interest. Just a simple extra storage box that fits pretty nicely into the black interior (it's so dark under the dash you don't even notice it).

It also comes in a light and dark brown but don't think they match any Model S interiors...

IMG_0269.jpg
IMG_0268.jpg

Piel Leather model 2352 is 6"x8", black leather, magnetic closure. If you put a few rubber feet (spacers) under, fits perfectly under the dash (without the spacers it sits on the sides of the console a bit) -- also leaves space under it to slide whatever you want underneath. They cost about $50 or so on Amazon, but I spoke with Piel and can get them for about $35 wholesale if there is enough interest. Just a simple extra storage box that fits pretty nicely into the black interior (it's so dark under the dash you don't even notice it).

It also comes in a light and dark brown but don't think they match any Model S interiors...

I am interested in this box for the wholesale if you can get enough people for the bulk purchase. What kind of rubber feet are you using?

I just got some from Lowes and stuck them to each other until I had the correct height -- they're meant for furniture. You don't see them so it really doesn't matter.

I'm not sure how many I'd have to buy to get the cheaper price, but I can look into it some more.

I am interested in this box for the wholesale if you can get enough people for the bulk purchase. What kind of rubber feet are you using?

Saw this today: Amazon.com: Rubbermaid 1791983 Bento Storage Box with Flex Dividers Small Paprika: Home Kitchen

It comes in a few colors and a few sizes. I think the small and medium ones might be good fits. Actually, I was thinking the medium for the opportunity area and a small one for the rear seat area just below the vents. One interesting thing about these is they they have 'fold out' sleeves on the inside that look like they could serve as cup holders in a pinch. Anchored with Velcro, they might be decent for interior storage. I saw they are actually available at Target online for less.

I don't have an MS yet, so I don't know the exact measurements. But based on what I see others putting in there, it looks like these may be an even better fit. The red one would be good for Perf/sig owners with the red piping. I'm inclined to go with beige since I got the tan interior. Not sure if they have plain black...they also sell lids so it can be covered...

Saw this today: Amazon.com: Rubbermaid 1791983 Bento Storage Box with Flex Dividers Small Paprika: Home Kitchen

It comes in a few colors and a few sizes. I think the small and medium ones might be good fits. Actually, I was thinking the medium for the opportunity area and a small one for the rear seat area just below the vents. One interesting thing about these is they they have 'fold out' sleeves on the inside that look like they could serve as cup holders in a pinch. Anchored with Velcro, they might be decent for interior storage. I saw they are actually available at Target online for less.

I don't have an MS yet, so I don't know the exact measurements. But based on what I see others putting in there, it looks like these may be an even better fit. The red one would be good for Perf/sig owners with the red piping. I'm inclined to go with beige since I got the tan interior. Not sure if they have plain black...they also sell lids so it can be covered...
Not to toot my own horn, but these work great. I got them at Target. I got the small and medium ones. Unfortunately, I don't think there are covers for these. (At least neither Target nor Amazon have them for sale - will need to check the Rubbermaid site, perhaps they will at least show they are available or not).

The medium is a nice fit in the opportunity area. It fits all the way up front. It stays in place without any mod (the feet and the area carpeting keeps them mostly planted).

The small one can then fit in either the opportunity area further back (i.e. behind the placement of the medium one) or it can also fit nicely in the rear area under the rear vents. And it CAN serve as a beverage holder. The fold out spaces will hold a standard 20 oz bottle or non-large takeout cup. If you use it as a rear area beverage holder, you might need to anchor it with velcro strips so it doesnt tip over (I havent tested that). But because it fits nicely below the vents, it doesnt eat into leg room noticeably.

Anyways, I use the front/medium one to hold sunglasses, ID cards (Blink/RFID for entry doors/etc.), a small tub of mints/gum, and my J1772 adapter (all the way up front fold out space) since I depend on the J1772 so much and want it handy.

Finally, they don't look half bad IMO. They don't look too cheesyI did have to get the ones with patterns as my local Target didnt have the plain ones in those size. I wanted to ry them out first. And now that I know they work, I might take them back to exchange for the plain tan ones when they (or another local Target) have them available.

I'll get pics later/tomorrow. But for $20, really you can't beat it in my opinion!

Update: Here's the link to the Rubbermaid site:
Error

Error

They do have lids for the medium one (which is the one I put in the opportunity area). And now they also have dark grey ones. So, looks like you can reasonably match colors for several trims in the MS.

Ok,

Here is a cheap way to get cupholder in console, I think it looks ok. Got tired of hitting cup with my elbow every time...

Used a 07-12 Chevy Avalanche front cup holder, GM 19154712

And some double sided tape, the 3M tape for car trim, to hold it to the console.

photo 2.JPG

I just canceled my EOM center console from Tesla. Both it and the Evannex are flawed in that they drastically reduce usable storage space to cater to the cupholders.

If they could only make one without the top, I will email Evannex about this.

I just canceled my EOM center console from Tesla. Both it and the Evannex are flawed in that they drastically reduce usable storage space to cater to the cupholders.

If they could only make one without the top, I will email Evannex about this.

Not in my experience. The Tesla OEM dramatically increases storage space even with the cupholder dividers in place. Without them the entire space is open and it's huge, almost as large as the yacht floor itself.