Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Temporary Limitation of Power S85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted originally in Driving Dynamics, which I probably should have posted here.

"
My car (S85) is currently at the service center for limiting power on extended drives (30+ min) even with high SOC and ~70 degree F weather. Anytime I floor the car after driving on the highway for extended periods, I get an instant yellow dotted line that limits power which quickly disappears after letting off the throttle. This has happened as early as 35mph, but ALWAYS happens at 55mph+. Attached is a screenshot from a video.

I can only assume this is a heat issue, as it is also apparent after Supercharging the car on road trips. They just called after diagnosing, and said this is completely normal and tried to say the battery management is based it on "the leaky bucket algorithm"….Has anyone experienced anything similar with limiting of power? None of the loaners I have had have done this…. Curious if this is normal behavior."

Here is the response from Tesla:

Hi Chris,

Pardon my delayed response, I wasn't notified about the email on Wednesday because this case was already closed. Mat explained all of that to me, and made it sound like you would try the regenerative and braking suggestions on your next trip, and reach back out to the service center to see how it goes. While we are extremely thankful that you and so many others were early adopters to the Model S, unfortunately, there are certain characteristics of it that are not able to be retrofitted to fix the "issue," like the one you mention. We learned from early Engineering and have improved the cars tremendously along the way, and continue to improve them every day, as you know. However, after escalating to the Regional team and masterminds behind the cars like the FTS team and Engineering teams, we have exhausted all of our options.

While I understand your frustration, at this point, beyond the suggestions Mat discussed with you, you could pursue a trade-in for your car. I would be happy to set you up with the Sales team in your area who could explore those options with you. There are many affordable "newer" Model S's and X's now through our CPO program... just a thought.

Thank you,
Alli