Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2024 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering buying the Model Y RWD before Feb 28th. However, I am not sure if I qualify for the $7500 federal tax credit, even though I might get it now at POS but worried if I will have it pay it back later.

Here is my situation. My 2022 AGI is <300K. I haven't done my 2023 taxes yet, but my 2023 AGI will be >300K. My 2024 AGI will also be >300K.
If I buy the Model Y RWD now, I have to show them my 2022 tax returns and will be able to get the $7500 off at POS. However, when I do my 2023 taxes later, or when I do my 2024 taxes next year, will I have to pay back to IRS the $7500?

I asked Tesla this question but they couldn't answer it. They did say if my 2022 AGI is <300K, I will get $7500 off at POS, but couldn't tell me if I have to pay it back in future. I am hoping someone on this forum can provide the correct guidance. Thanks in advance.

if 2022 AGI is <300K you're good to go if MFJ

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Here is my situation. My 2022 AGI is <300K. I haven't done my 2023 taxes yet, but my 2023 AGI will be >300K. My 2024 AGI will also be >300K.
You won't qualify. So if you take it as a POS credit you will have to repay it when you file your 2024 taxes.

if 2022 AGI is <300K you're good to go if MFJ
No. Getting the credit for a purchase in 2024 requires that the 2023 or 2024 AGI for a couple is less than $300k. 2022 AGI doesn't enter into the equation at all.

You won't qualify. So if you take it as a POS credit you will have to repay it when you file your 2024 taxes.
Thank you! My next option is to buy under my son's name where I have the opposite problem. He is 20 yrs old. Last year (for 2022), he filed single, his AGI was <13K and zero tax liability. For 2023 and 2024, his AGI might be around $25K and his total tax liability will certainly be <$7500. So if I get the car under his name, he gets the $7500 POS discount, and if his 2023 or 2024 total tax liability is less than $7500, will he have to refund the difference between 7500 and his total tax to IRS?

Thanks again in advance!

he won't have to pay the difference.

Q4: What if a buyer has insufficient tax liability to fully use a transferred credit? (added Oct. 6, 2023)​

A4. The amount of the credit that the electing taxpayer elects to transfer to the eligible entity may exceed the electing taxpayer's regular tax liability for the taxable year in which the sale occurs, and the excess, if any, is not subject to recapture from the dealer or the buyer.

Reactions: vickh
I had posted several pages back that we were denied the federal POS credit because the information didn't match 1:1 with the IRS. My husband was primary, and I was secondary. We ended up forfeiting the $250 deposit because we had to cancel -- Tesla couldn't or wouldn't work with us to get around this. Flash forward two weeks: we tried again with me as the primary and my husband secondary, willing to claim it on next year's taxes if necessary, but the POS went through! Perhaps it was timing: our first order was the day after the POS went live? Regardless, I'm relieved.

I knew Massachusetts also offered a $3,500 incentive, but I thought it was a rebate -- turned out it, too, was POS. We bought a 2024 Red MYLR with an inventory discount of $5,100 + $7,500 federal + $3,500 MA, saving $16,100 in all.
Wow, you did even better than me.

2024 Blue MYLR with white interior, inventory discount of $5,100 + $7,500 federal + $1000 cybertruck discount. I am part Cherokee so no sales tax at POS(Oklahoma). Will pay 1% when register for my tag though.

I had posted several pages back that we were denied the federal POS credit because the information didn't match 1:1 with the IRS. My husband was primary, and I was secondary. We ended up forfeiting the $250 deposit because we had to cancel -- Tesla couldn't or wouldn't work with us to get around this. Flash forward two weeks: we tried again with me as the primary and my husband secondary, willing to claim it on next year's taxes if necessary, but the POS went through! Perhaps it was timing: our first order was the day after the POS went live? Regardless, I'm relieved.

I knew Massachusetts also offered a $3,500 incentive, but I thought it was a rebate -- turned out it, too, was POS. We bought a 2024 Red MYLR with an inventory discount of $5,100 + $7,500 federal + $3,500 MA, saving $16,100 in all.
Inventory discount of $5100 is great! Did you use Dedham or Norwell? I’m looking at an inventory discount of $2500 on MYLR plus the $1000 Cybertruck order rebate. I’m trying to decide if I purchase now before the indicated $1000+ price hike on 3/1/2024 or roll the dice and figure the inventory discount might be more late March as the quarter comes to a close. $39326 out the door for the car I want (MYLR, stealth gray, black interior, 19”, tow) is already a damn good deal, but if it were $1-2K less in a month I could wait.

Inventory discount of $5100 is great! Did you use Dedham or Norwell? I’m looking at an inventory discount of $2500 on MYLR plus the $1000 Cybertruck order rebate. I’m trying to decide if I purchase now before the indicated $1000+ price hike on 3/1/2024 or roll the dice and figure the inventory discount might be more late March as the quarter comes to a close. $39326 out the door for the car I want (MYLR, stealth gray, black interior, 19”, tow) is already a damn good deal, but if it were $1-2K less in a month I could wait.

As a recovering perfectionist, I wouldn't try to time TSLA car pricing. It can be like the stock, all over the place.

Last edited:
Hey, it's March now and IRS still has not finalized the form that I need to claim the $7500 tax credit on my 2023 YLR. This is what HR Block software is telling me now -
1709684189981.png

Hey, it's March now and IRS still has not finalized the form that I need to claim the $7500 tax credit on my 2023 YLR. This is what HR Block software is telling me now -
View attachment 1024989
No, the IRS has finalized that form months ago. It appears that HR Block has not finalized it. I filed a month ago and have already received refund using another tax service.

Filing my 2023 taxes and purchased a model 3 on April 16,23. Met all requirements, knew I was getting a refund this year. My accountant informed me that the 7500 credit is non refundable, since I have no taxes due I’m not eligible. Did I mess up?
"Due" when filing is not the issue. You don't say why the refund. If it's because you overpaid i.e, with withholding, the credit would be part of your refund up to your total tax obligation for the year. If you paid no tax during the year 2023 and are getting a refund due to an amended previous year return, you're right, no refund of any of the credit. Refund by itself is not the issue, it's the total tax obligation for the year.

Filing my 2023 taxes and purchased a model 3 on April 16,23. Met all requirements, knew I was getting a refund this year. My accountant informed me that the 7500 credit is non refundable, since I have no taxes due I’m not eligible. Did I mess up?
In rough strokes:
Line 34 (without credit) isn't relevent.
It's line 22 of your 1040 without EV credit included, or line 16.