Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida to Texas sales tax issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey yall,

I'm in a situation I might not fully understand. I'm also receiving different bits of info from Tesla and online sources. Here is my issue...
I did a lease buy-out in Florida. Here are the line items from the Bill of Sale I received...

Quote Breakdown
1. Gross Cap Cost: 84,350.00
2. Principal Portion of Payment Made: -19,329.36
3. Cap Cost Reduction: - 10,483.14
4. Adjusted Lease Balance (1 through 3): 54,537.50
5. Additional Fees
A.Sales Tax - 7%: 3,322.25
B. Purchase Fee: 0.00
C. Outstanding A/R: 0.00
D.Property Tax: 0.00
E. Other: 0.00
Total Credits (A through E): 3,322.256.
Total Amount Due from Customer: 57,859.75

I got the title but never changed it to my name while still in Florida. I moved to Texas. I am now trying to get my tag/registration. I am being told I have not paid sales tax on the car. Based on the bill of sale, I did.

What am I missing here?

I would appreciate any insight anyone has to offer. Thank you in advance.

Just a guess, but you paid sales tax like an owner in FL, but you really exported the car to TX. Hopefully you can get the FL tax refunded, but there deffo will be sales tax to pay when bringing the vehicle into TX

We bought a Prius V from a dealership in Santa Fe and had it transported to Dallas. We didn't pay anything to NM, but we did have to pay the tax when registering in in TX ... AND we had to get it inspected which was a PitA

Finally you'd be better off paying TX tax as that's only 6.25% so that should at least save you around $356

Time to get online and google Florida vehicle registration methinks