Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tasmania Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to Tasmania for about 2.5 weeks over the christmas/new year period, here's some notes on the trip.

Part 1:

Canberra-Melbourne: Down the Hume in 40 degree heat, easy apart from a bushfire near Wodonga. Got redirected through some back roads.
I dropped in to JetCharge headquarters to meet Timpoo and pick up the following equipment:
- 32A 3-Phase to Euro 3-Phase cable to use with the Tesla Mobile Connector + Euro 3 Phase Tail available from Tesla. This is for 32A 3-Phase sockets common in places such as showgrounds, sports fields and marinas.
- J1772 to Mennekes cable for use in public charging stations
- Clipper Creek EVSE with a 15A plug for use in (mainly) Caravan parks (this was only a loan from Timpoo)

01-IMG_5581.JPG

Fire near Wodonga

Crossing to Tasmania: I Supercharged in Melbourne to a bit over 90%, so that by the time I got back to my hotel it was on about 90%. The Spirit of Tasmania was a tight fit, but luckily we didn’t get any door dings.
02-IMG_5632.JPG

On board Spirit of Tasmania

03-IMG_5642.JPG

Arrival in Devonport

Devonport: The AirBNB we stayed at didn’t have anywhere to charge easily, but it didn’t matter as we were planning to go to The House of Anvers to charge while having breakfast to top up any lost range. On arrival at House of Anvers we found the charger at the back in the overflow carpark. On advice from Timpoo I asked for the charging cable to use the WallPod, as it has a 32A 3-Phase capability (or 16A 3-Phase for my car). Much to the confusion of the other people having breakfast, the staff brought out both cables and gave them to us at the table. I took them outside and determined that one was a Mennekes to J1772 and the other Mennekes-Mennekes. I returned the J1772 one and tried the other out the WallPod, and got the maximum charge rate possible with my single charger car.

04-IMG_5657.JPG

House of Anvers Tesla Wall Connector and and WallPod
House of Anvers 32A Single Phase.PNG

Charging on 32A single phase at House of Anvers
House of Anvers 16A 3 Phase.PNG

Charging on 16A 3-phase at House of Anvers

Longford and Launceston: From Devonport to we drove to Longford to meet Marc Talloen who had spent the last week in Tasmania. He showed us where the Longford Showgrounds 3-phase 32A sockets and was kind enough to lend me an additional extension cable and his Tesla Mobile Connector in case mine failed on the trip.
05-IMG_5665.JPG

With Marc's car in Longford

We spent the day driving around the Tamar River area, and had dinner in Launceston. I tried out the 3-phase socket on the parking meters there. After meeting up with an old friend of my wife and got back to Longford late at night, and had to plug in in the dark and then walk about 1km to our AirBNB. The next day we went to Cataract Gorge and then for a long drive up into the central highlands, which wouldn’t have been possible without having the 32A 3-phase to charge on overnight.
06-IMG_5684.JPG

Charging in Brisbane St, Launceston
07-DSC_0303.JPG

Driving around the mountains

To be continued...

- - - Updated - - -

Part 2:

St Helens: We drove through the northern A3 route on Christmas day – everything was closed and if we had needed to buy petrol we probably couldn’t have. In St Helens we stayed in a cabin in Hillcrest Tourist Park, who were kind enough to give us a caravan space next to our cabin to park in and charge using the Clipper Creek EVSE. This was fast enough to get the car back to 90% by the next day. Very rough seas meant we had to cancel our planned bay of fires tour, so we just did a drive around the area. The same nearby caravan space wasn’t available the next night so we just ran a 10A cable out of the window of our cabin which was enough to get back to 90% again.
08-IMG_5707.JPG

Quick test of another charging location in Launceston

09-IMG_5724.JPG

Charging of 15A at Hillcrest Tourist Park, St Helens

Bicheno & Freycinet: We drove to Freycinet National Park for the walk to the Wineglass Bay Lookout, and then to Bicheno to check in at an AirBNB house. Surprisingly the house had a 15A socket on the front, so I used it the first night without issue. We did the Wineglass Bay cruise, which was worthwhile – lots of great scenery as well as some dolphins. We also did the Bicheno penguin tour, which is far superior to the Phillip Island one, as you are much closer to the penguins (they walk right past your feet)

12-IMG_5772.JPG

15A socket at the AirBNB

13-DSC_0009.JPG

Dolphins in Coles Bay on the Wineglass Bay Cruise

While charging in the afternoon of the second day the 15A socket melted! The socket and wiring were quite old, and because of the way it was mounted the cable may have come lose. Charging on 10A instead was enough to get to 90% the next day to drive to Hobart.
15-IMG_5780.JPG

15A plug on the Clipper Creek EVSE

16-IMG_5781.JPG

The melted 15A socket

- - - Updated - - -

Part 3

Hobart: We drove to Bicheno to Hobart Central Carpark, where the newly installed J1772 chargers were both ICE’d. The car park attendant was helpful and said he would put some cones in the space as soon as the car left and call me. After about an hour I gave up waiting and went back to move the car onto a 10A socket at the hotel and found the car had left and the attendant was about to call me. To charge I had to plug the cable into my J1772 to Mennekes cable and then the attendant had to find an RFID card to start the charge. Later to finish he also had to use the RFID card to stop it. The WallPod in house of Anvers seemed was far more straightforward. That got the car back up to 90% by about 6PM so we went for a drive up Mt Wellington.

17-IMG_5786.JPG

ICEd at Hobart Central Car Park - I've suggested to them that they make both spaces EV only parking, and also paint the space so its clearer to everyone that these aren't normal spaces.

18-IMG_5822.JPG

Charging at Hobart Central Car Park

19-DSC_0538.JPG

On top of Mt Wellington

1-IMG_5825.JPG

Energy usage on the way down, regenerated about 7%.
2-IMG_5826.JPG

Overall trip from Hobart CBD to Mt Wellington and back, with a nice -230Wh/km on the return.

In Hobart we did also the following
- Drive to Bruny Island and seal watching cruise
- Taste of Tasmania including New Year’s Eve at Taste of Tasmania
- Port Arthur Historic Site
- Visited MONA
- Drive to Huon river, including charging off 3-Phase at Franklin
In Hobart we stayed in the Quality Hobart Midcity Hotel who were helpful and arranged for us to charge from a power point, however the space there was regularly full and I managed to find a better one elsewhere in their car park.

- - - Updated - - -

Bronte Park: Upon leaving Hobart we visited Mt Field national park and stayed the night in Highland Cabins and Cottages at Bronte Park. These cabins were great and each one had at covered carport and with 10A sockets. This would be a great location for some destination chargers.

22-IMG_5944.JPG

Strahan: In Strahan we stayed at Strahan Village, who have 3-phase sockets in the laundries. We never managed to get access to a laundry socket, but 10A was enough as we were doing tours during the day rather than driving. I recommend the Gordon river cruise but not the Wilderness Railway.

Back to Devonport: From Strahan we drove to Cradle Mountain National Park for the day and then on to Devonport for the evening. We stopped in at House of Anvers on the way back and found that they had added a cage to their cables and it was not possible to even use the Tesla Wall Connector without a key. As it was about to close and we were only there for a few minutes to buy chocolates we didn’t bother trying to charge again. As the car was down to 30% or so I was keen to top it up a bit because we wouldn’t get to Melbourne for about 24 hours. The AirBNB we stayed at had ancient wiring and the owner was only comfortable with us charging at 5A, which added about 60km range overnight.

1-DSC_0183.JPG

Wombat in Cradle Mountain National Park

Back to Melbourne: We arrived back in Melbourne in the evening and checked into Alto Hotel on Bourke which I had chosen because their Booking.com listing included free parking for electric vehicles, however didn’t mention anything about charging. To my surprise they had a J1772 chargepoint, 20A 3-Phase socket and a 15A socket. The person checking us in thought the chargpoint wasn’t working, and I didn’t have a 20A adapter, so I used the 15A socket. This got us back to 90% again the next day so we didn’t need to supercharge before heading back to Canberra. This hotel would be another ideal destination charger location, as they use all green power and are very supportive of EVs.

IMG_6063.JPG

Alto Hotel on Bourke charging equipment.

Attachments

• 01-IMG_5581.JPG
    01-IMG_5581.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 191
  • 10-DSC_0414.JPG
    10-DSC_0414.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 169
  • 11-IMG_5734.JPG
    11-IMG_5734.JPG
    240.2 KB · Views: 165
  • 14-DSC_0010.JPG
    14-DSC_0010.JPG
    269.7 KB · Views: 170
great write up thanks for taking the time!
Are all those charging places on plugshare?

No, surprisingly the Hobart Central Carpark isn't on there yet. I'm pretty sure the Tasmania AEVA would have already submitted it. The others would need to be checked with the council/Showground management/hotel manager, etc first. I should contact a few places to see if they are happy to be added.

They are all on my charging map that I've shared on WhatsApp a few times though.

No, surprisingly the Hobart Central Carpark isn't on there yet. I'm pretty sure the Tasmania AEVA would have already submitted it. The others would need to be checked with the council/Showground management/hotel manager, etc first. I should contact a few places to see if they are happy to be added.

That would be helpful if you could - just to see if they are happy with it! I sent an email to a stack of Tassie hotels - as an interested local, not a paying customer - to see if they accommodate EV charging. I only received replies from a few of them. Didn't have anywhere near as much luck as you did, naturally I guess they are more likely to assist an actual customer!

Awesome! I just finished reading Dylanpete's excellent report and now this. I'll have to read it a bit slower later today. About being ICE'd, it seems that even large signs and bright yellow paint won't prevent it from happening. I've been ICE'd with other vacant spaces right next to the EV charge spot. IMO the only way to stop this is to physically block them.

Awesome! I just finished reading Dylanpete's excellent report and now this. I'll have to read it a bit slower later today. About being ICE'd, it seems that even large signs and bright yellow paint won't prevent it from happening. I've been ICE'd with other vacant spaces right next to the EV charge spot. IMO the only way to stop this is to physically block them.

When I did an Observatory booking this week they told me they would physically block out a recharge point park for me so it was definiitely available when I arrived. I know a hotel is a different situation, but it's nice - would be great if others would do that if we ask in advance.

I forgot to add a map of the route we took. The markers are the areas we stayed.
Tasmania Trip Map.png

I also forgot to add this photo of the MONA destination charger - blocked by workers setting up for a You Am I concert, so I couldn't charge. Luckily I had already reached 80% overnight so didn't really need to charge anyway.
35-DSC_0350.jpg

From another thread (this is a more on-topic place for my reply!)

I'm thinking of getting it as an 'emergency backup' for a trip to Tassie; already have a chademo.

Hi @ChrsiH314, you can probably survive without a J1772 adaptor here - the only site which is J1772 exclusive is the Hobart Central Car Park - PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You - all others have a corresponding Type 2 or Tesla destination charger (or both!)

You can leave the Chademo adaptor at home (unless of course you are travelling other parts of the country as well)!