Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Talk me into it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you let the horror stories scare you away from an amazing car, you'll miss out.

I've only been back to the service center twice in three years - and one of those was because I ran over a bolt that went into the tire.

While there are long waits for repair parts for ruining cars sometimes, Tesla mostly does a really good job with cars that are stranded - and they've been much better about offering loaner cars than any other brand I know for service/warranty issues.
If I had been cruising this forum, I never would have bought the car. When I posted how great my car was I got flamed for being a fanboy. The title was tongue in cheek..There is definitely something wrong with my car. Clickbait fanboy yada yada.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
770111.gif

• Funny
Reactions: StealthP3D
If I had been cruising this forum, I never would have bought the car. When I posted how great my car was I got flamed for being a fanboy. The title was tongue in cheek..There is definitely something wrong with my car. Clickbait fanboy yada yada.

Bingo. And I'll continue to post about how great it is, naysayers be damned.

Leaving Dallas now back for Jersey. Once I land at Newark, I'll start the car cooling itself down. By the time I get in, it'll be a perfect 70 degrees. And zero emissions. And then drive me home.

What's not to love?

• Love
Reactions: hcdavis3
The first Tesla can be hard. New company, new tech, expensive car, lots of FUD (mixed in with some real issues). Lots to worry about.

All my gas cars were under $20k, so putting up over $100k for a Roadster 10 years ago was painful. Literally - my stomach hurt for 3 days after writing the check.

But I have never made a purchase of any product I have been so happy with. We have bought 5 more over the past decade, and they were all very easy, because we weren't considering any other brand.

The Model 3 is in many respects a far better car than the Roadster, and a ton cheaper too. Despite some real issues (like every company), Tesla's customer satisfaction is higher than any other company. Chances are you will be less happy if you buy something else.

You only live once, and my research suggests this is a decision I'm not likely to regret. But my wife correctly points out that we have a lot on our plate: three teenagers, with a major kitchen renovation and addition looming, and a busy summer with us only home 4 out of 8 weeks this summer. And now we have the $3,750 tax credit deadline running out in 3+ weeks. Also, we don't have a garage right now.

We could get a garage built in the back yard, off the back alley, in a few months, depending on a few factors. Would it be crazy to order a Model 3 and park it in the back yard for a few months, with no garage? We could get set up with a Wall Connector (without a wall to put it on right now). Or maybe we could even just use the Mobile Connector? (My wife could mostly charge at work.) Or am I rushing things too much: Should I get the garage built first, forego the fatter tax credit, and order a Model 3 in October or November?

Garage is wholly unnecessary. Our garage isn't deep enough to fit a car anymore (previous owners' renovation took away garage space), so my Model 3 sits outside. All good - nothing to it. We installed a Wall Connector outdoors and it works splendidly. The Mobile Connector would be fine too. Especially if she can charge at work, you'd only really be topping off at home, or for weekend travel.

Everyone's use case is a bit different but since you're already in the EV realm with the Prius, I'd be wholly unconcerned with that.

The only advice I'd give you is to be careful. Once you have a Tesla, nothing else is the same. I'd plan for them to multiply in time -- with teenagers coming of driving age, you're going to try to find a way to convince yourself they need Model 3's too.

I already convinced myself (and, amazingly, my wife) that the Model 3 I just bought is really for my 12yo. By the time he gets his license, I expect electric cars to be much more commonplace, and I'll feel good about him being wrapped in the safest vehicle ever built. That said, I don't think giving a 17yo a car with the kind of acceleration the Model 3 has is a great idea either... but hopefully by then, there'll be a "teenager mode" - think chillmode++.

But I surely don't think you'd regret it. I think the vast majority of folks who are disappointed with their Model 3 are folks who want to spend Infiniti money on a car they treat like a Bentley. The "panel gap" thing is way overblown.

You're looking at this as a daily driver/commuter car, and the Model 3 absolutely excels in that department.

The tax credit thing is really only $1875 if you wait to the 2nd half of the year - but it makes a great Spousal Talking Point. :)

Go for it -- you won't regret it!

I cannot see going back to driving an ICE car, except for my antiques/hot rods, etc... (Planning my first plug in hot rod...)

Its an exceptional commuter car. Think of it as a really fast Buick, and you'll be far happier.

They definitely need to work on QC and Service, especially service, and they need to grow up, and stop trying to say "We're a start-up", but its a heck of a car.

As a lifelong cheapskate, never having bought a new car from a dealer, I am a little shocked to find myself considering a brand new Model 3, but here we are. You only live once, and my research suggests this is a decision I'm not likely to regret. But my wife correctly points out that we have a lot on our plate: three teenagers, with a major kitchen renovation and addition looming, and a busy summer with us only home 4 out of 8 weeks this summer. And now we have the $3,750 tax credit deadline running out in 3+ weeks. Also, we don't have a garage right now.

We could get a garage built in the back yard, off the back alley, in a few months, depending on a few factors. Would it be crazy to order a Model 3 and park it in the back yard for a few months, with no garage? We could get set up with a Wall Connector (without a wall to put it on right now). Or maybe we could even just use the Mobile Connector? (My wife could mostly charge at work.) Or am I rushing things too much: Should I get the garage built first, forego the fatter tax credit, and order a Model 3 in October or November?

Call or go to a showroom and If you can still take delivery before the end of this month, I would suggest ordering it asap.

Electric Vehicle & Solar Incentives

I never met anyone who regretting buying a Tesla. That may seemed biased but it is 100% true.

Garage is wholly unnecessary. Our garage isn't deep enough to fit a car anymore (previous owners' renovation took away garage space), so my Model 3 sits outside. All good - nothing to it. We installed a Wall Connector outdoors and it works splendidly. The Mobile Connector would be fine too. Especially if she can charge at work, you'd only really be topping off at home, or for weekend travel.

Everyone's use case is a bit different but since you're already in the EV realm with the Prius, I'd be wholly unconcerned with that.

The only advice I'd give you is to be careful. Once you have a Tesla, nothing else is the same. I'd plan for them to multiply in time -- with teenagers coming of driving age, you're going to try to find a way to convince yourself they need Model 3's too.

I already convinced myself (and, amazingly, my wife) that the Model 3 I just bought is really for my 12yo. By the time he gets his license, I expect electric cars to be much more commonplace, and I'll feel good about him being wrapped in the safest vehicle ever built. That said, I don't think giving a 17yo a car with the kind of acceleration the Model 3 has is a great idea either... but hopefully by then, there'll be a "teenager mode" - think chillmode++.

But I surely don't think you'd regret it. I think the vast majority of folks who are disappointed with their Model 3 are folks who want to spend Infiniti money on a car they treat like a Bentley. The "panel gap" thing is way overblown.

You're looking at this as a daily driver/commuter car, and the Model 3 absolutely excels in that department.

The tax credit thing is really only $1875 if you wait to the 2nd half of the year - but it makes a great Spousal Talking Point. :)

Go for it -- you won't regret it!

It's already ready there - just lock the car into Valet mode and it'll limit power and top speed for them.

"any electric car is fine, doesn't matter which kind." This to me implies inexpensive.

Do your garage first and make your wife happy, Financial strain will impact your relationship.
2 teenagers? college or are you sending them into the army?

I prioritized in this order:
1. bought new house
2. designed patio for wife
3. solar
4. Model 3

The garage thing would kill me. My other car is a 997 and I can't imagine parking either outside.Other than that, you will love the car. Rent one and you won't think twice about buying one. The tax credit will be less but Tesla may counter that with incentives so I could not worry about waiting. I did not buy my Tesla because I want to save the environment or use cheaper "fuel". I work with this technology day to day and appreciate what Tesla has done to improve the driving experience and make better transportation.

I blew my kids' college tuition and wedding funds to buy mine. Good thing I don't have kids!

• Funny
You need to take a long read over this forum.
If, after reading about the company's communications, service reputation and sparse locations, and so on, (not the car) you'd be a braver man than I to get one.

A better resource would be to check to see if there's a local group of Tesla enthusiasts on FB. It's amazing how different LOCAL real-world experience differs from these forums. The forums are useful IF you have an issue and you want to see if others experience it too and if there's a fix, but it's no way representative of how common problems occur, including bad service experiences.

I charged mine like this most of last winter with zero issues:

View attachment 416121
That's a Mobile Connector. I let the snow bury the device. It also charged in relentless rain without a hiccup. I do recommend more than 120V 15 amps for an Illinois winter, even for short commutes.

If you ever wanted to see what a model y will look like your snow buildup has it almost perfect

• Funny
As a stock owner, please buy two now.

Funny, but Tesla is already selling all the Model 3's they can make (and they are making them as fast as they can). There are people around the globe who are still waiting to get a Model 3.

To drive one is to love it, which is why Tesla has the fastest growing salesforce of any company on planet earth. The demand is unrelenting.

Reactions: DOC52
Financial strain will impact your relationship.
2 teenagers? college or are you sending them into the army?

Your very first post on a Tesla forum and it's to dissuade a sale? Short much? ;)

Seriously though, if you're worried about your kids future, you will buy the Tesla now and worry about how you are going to fund their education later. I had to pay my own way through college and I'm a lot better off for it because it added to my self-esteem and taught me that success was within, not something that just "happened" to me.

An education from an elite private school (or any school for that matter) does not stop the effects of global warming. And that's the biggest threat facing your kids, not what their resume looks like.

There is obviously always a negative bias - noone ever posts on here how amazingly reliable their Tesla is. :p

Yes, you will see much more noise about issues than you will about perfect cars. Statistically, cars with issues are so over-represented it's not even funny.

My wife took delivery of her RWD Model 3 in May '18 and I took delivery of my P3D in Sept. and neither car has needed a single thing. I did take mine back to the service center one time (to get some winter tires mounted) but that's been it. Unlike every other shop that has ever done tire work for me, all four tires came out of the shop +/- 1/2 PSI of each other. Other shops are lucky if they get them within 2 PSI of each other. And the lug nuts were correctly torqued. I know, these are simple things which one should expect them to get right, but it's shocking how often other shops fail at the most basic things.

EV's, in general, need so much less service than fossil cars the busyness of the service center just doesn't have the same importance to me. If your car doesn't need service, it doesn't matter if the next available spot is two weeks out. :p