Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking 3 day old Model Y for repair, and $100 Uber credit per day!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So sorry so many of you are identifying issues with your early Y's. Besides making detailed lists like this forum does, and what Sandy Monroe is reporting so far (Yikes!), I sincerely hope that Tesla is quickly making a punch list of the known issues to address, and soon.

So let me get this straight, if you pick up your new Tesla (say, a Y) and you drive it home 110 miles, and then inspect it thoroughly and it has a terrible paint job in spots, they won't make good on repairing paint blemishes and whatever else? This is unrealistic.

Let the PaintGate begin.

Reactions: NY_Rob
Here's a quick update from Tesla. They installed Homelink for me and the car is in bodyshop. They estimated the car will be in the shop until April 10 (that's a week from today). I dropped off my car on April 1st and expect to receive my car back on the 10th. Of course, they will extend the $100 uber credit to me until then.

I think 100 miles is overly generous, considering a rock chip from the road could happen on your very first drive in the car as the new owner. Regarding paint, it’s always best to look over the car thoroughly before driving it and document any notable issues on the spot.
I wasn't referring to a rock chip that can easily identified as such and of course wouldn't be covered under warranty.
I was thinking more along the lines of something you missed when you picked up the car while being hurried up to take delivery at the Tesla Center. When you pick up your car there are so many things to do,it would be very easy to overlook a paint issue on a door pillar, the trunk, frunk, etc.

I'm glad I'm aware of the "100 mi" paint policy now, when I finally go to pick up my car I am going to take as much time as needed to give it a good going over with a magnifying glass in one hand and a notepad in the other hand. I've bought four new vehicles since 2012 and I have never heard of a mile limit on factory paint defects other than the 3yr/36K mi bumper-to bumper warranty.

Random thought/question- can you use it on Ubereats? I only say this because I get Uber credits and they also work on Ubereats. At least keep you happy and not hungry for a few days. ;)
The Tesla ones do not. They don’t even work for tips.
Most useless uber credits ever.

And this is why I opt for the loaner or mobile service.

So you pick up the car and you drive say 75 miles home and you find paint defects. So you drive back to the service center 75 miles away and they tell you sorry you are over 100 miles. So after delivery they are telling you to PO

TLDR: Inspect the car throughly, and document defects early. In my experience, Tesla fixes defects (paint or otherwise) reported soon after delivery. I have not actually experienced Tesla deny fix due to being over 100 miles. And paint has 12 months limited warranty:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...sories-body-repair-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

I live about 76 miles away from the Delivery/Service Center - and like many, I was told about the 100 mile "policy".

Did not know abouth that policy in Dec 2018 when I took delivery of Model 3. Was told about this policy in Sep 2019 when picking up an X, and again in Mar 2020 when accepting the Y at the Delivery Center.

In all 3 Teslas - was able to thoroughly inspect the car once at home. Took video/pictures of defects and either sent an email (to Delivery Adviser) or set up appointment via the app with video/picture as proof. I even went as far as capturing Odometer reading at the time the defects (paint or other) were noted.

Model 3 had 4 inch gash on tire, water in trunk bottom well (found 3 days after delivery).

Model X had non-sensing Falcon Wing Door, defective (random opening/closing) charge port cover, AND mismatched paint (rear bumper paint is off from the rest of body).

The defects on the 3 and X were noted at home, not apparent at delivery.

So far Tesla had fixed the defects I discovered after delivery, and not argue about the car being over 100 miles - maybe because I have proof that the defects were there/discovered soon after delivery.

In this Model Y, I found etched scratches on 2 side windows, cracked rear pillar trim and dirty/grease stained head liner, paint scratch around the rear Tesla logo - two days (about 150 miles) after delivery. The service center have the windows, headliner pillar trim on order and will fix the paint scratch when at appointment.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Electric Steve
When you pickup your new car at the delivery location (which seems to be a Service Center in most instances) is the car indoors or outdoors? The reason I ask this is because it's been raining for three straight days here, if you pick up the car outdoors... how are you expected to find any defects on a wet car in the rain?

The last four cars I purchased, I finished the paperwork inside and the car was brought around outside the showroom for me to drive home in.

TLDR: Inspect the car throughly, and document defects early. In my experience, Tesla fixes defects (paint or otherwise) reported soon after delivery. I have not actually experienced Tesla deny fix due to being over 100 miles. And paint has 12 months limited warranty:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...sories-body-repair-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

I live about 76 miles away from the Delivery/Service Center - and like many, I was told about the 100 mile "policy".

Did not know abouth that policy in Dec 2018 when I took delivery of Model 3. Was told about this policy in Sep 2019 when picking up an X, and again in Mar 2020 when accepting the Y at the Delivery Center.

In all 3 Teslas - was able to thoroughly inspect the car once at home. Took video/pictures of defects and either sent an email (to Delivery Adviser) or set up appointment via the app with video/picture as proof. I even went as far as capturing Odometer reading at the time the defects (paint or other) were noted.

Model 3 had 4 inch gash on tire, water in trunk bottom well (found 3 days after delivery).

Model X had non-sensing Falcon Wing Door, defective (random opening/closing) charge port cover, AND mismatched paint (rear bumper paint is off from the rest of body).

The defects on the 3 and X were noted at home, not apparent at delivery.

So far Tesla had fixed the defects I discovered after delivery, and not argue about the car being over 100 miles - maybe because I have proof that the defects were there/discovered soon after delivery.

In this Model Y, I found etched scratches on 2 side windows, cracked rear pillar trim and dirty/grease stained head liner, paint scratch around the rear Tesla logo - two days (about 150 miles) after delivery. The service center have the windows, headliner pillar trim on order and will fix the paint scratch when at appointment.

Unfortunately, I was not aware of this 3 day 100 mile policy on my Model Y and reported interior finish issues (scratches on seat back plastic and steering wheel) after this period. The service center just sent me an estimate for $1300 which I absolutely do not intend on paying. Any advice on how I can possible escalate this issue? Shouldn’t they set this expectation especially during the contactless deliveries that took place for first time Tesla owners?

Unfortunately, I was not aware of this 3 day 100 mile policy on my Model Y and reported interior finish issues (scratches on seat back plastic and steering wheel) after this period. The service center just sent me an estimate for $1300 which I absolutely do not intend on paying. Any advice on how I can possible escalate this issue? Shouldn’t they set this expectation especially during the contactless deliveries that took place for first time Tesla owners?

Call them now, clarify if you have to pay. They send estimate in any work - under warranty, due bill, good will or customer to pay. Start there.

It's usually Option 2 on the phone automaton.

Check your CC invoice I saw where Tesla gave me UBER credit but I just got my statement . Uber charged my credit card for it and the Tesla Uber credit disappeared :( And now I am suppose to run down Uber and Tesla . Its more trouble than its worth.

Check your CC invoice I saw where Tesla gave me UBER credit but I just got my statement . Uber charged my credit card for it and the Tesla Uber credit disappeared :( And now I am suppose to run down Uber and Tesla . Its more trouble than its worth.

Now that shiite is beyond messed up!! I would tweet it to elon and tesla clubs, that way it is definitely seen and followed up on...

are you sure you turned the option to use uber credit on when using the app? you may have accidentally chosen a diff payment method (your CC) and not had credit as the payment option.....

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT