Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching Drive Modes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if it were possible to charge my 1.5 in standard mode, but then drive it in either performance or range mode. It would be nice being able to have the performance mode available, but not have to compromise the battery by charging it to full capacity. Also, I always leave it in standard charge mode, but what if I unexpectedly needed more range.

Henry

Yes, when the car is running you can cycle through the modes by tapping on the battery icon on the VDS. When I go on road trips I charge in range mode to fill the top 10% but switch to standard mode to drive since I don't intend to use the bottom 10% and I don't want the reduced performance of range mode.

Yes, when the car is running you can cycle through the modes by tapping on the battery icon on the VDS. When I go on road trips I charge in range mode to fill the top 10% but switch to standard mode to drive since I don't intend to use the bottom 10% and I don't want the reduced performance of range mode.
Steve - I guess you're kind of going in the opposite direction than me, but using the same method...

Having not tried this yet, what sort of acceleration difference do you all feel from stoplights in performance versus standard mode?
Steve #2 - I have no idea... I've never driven in performance mode. I'll try it out next time I take it out. LMK if you do it first.

I do it all the time, I’ll charge in standard and drive in range to try and conserve energy, more often than not I’ll turn the key which pops it in performance mode. It also has a lower set temp for the fans so the PEM and motor cools quicker for you can restrain not flooring it all the time.