Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great, now as part of my normal morning routine I have to check the Redding building permit index for updates. Thanks a lot!

What's the chance The proposed supercharger ends up in the same area... that would sure be frustrating for non Teslas :) ( wait times)

They say there will be a SC in San Rafael and my bet is at the Target where there are already lots of level 2 chargers.
The only Target with a San Rafael address is right on the bay just north of San Quentin. It's not super convenient to 101 traffic but the fact that there is a bay side trail along the bay right next to the parking lot would make it a pretty cool location. I remember going to this Target and being stunned that this property had a Target rather than being packed with expensive houses, but I guess, along with the prison, it must have been government property at some point before being zoned commercial.

The only Target with a San Rafael address is right on the bay just north of San Quentin. It's not super convenient to 101 traffic but the fact that there is a bay side trail along the bay right next to the parking lot would make it a pretty cool location. I remember going to this Target and being stunned that this property had a Target rather than being packed with expensive houses, but I guess, along with the prison, it must have been government property at some point before being zoned commercial.
Yes there is a Home Depot and you are correct not super convenient and nothing to do, so I could be wrong about the location.

With the near completion of Fremont's and Sunnyvale's Supercharger sites at Target store locations and the Cupertino Supercharger location, I took a look to see what other south SF Bay map locations are listed as "coming in 2017" that haven't been mentioned yet as in the works. Those would be: Mountain View (a second location) and San Jose. Any sightings for those yet? Years almost up.

Last edited:
South Bay there's a Target on Showers in Mt. View. Only one in the area.

For San Jose which has several Target locations, the one that best fits the map area where the Tesla location is indicated, looks like the one on Coleman. It's north of 280/680 but on the opposite side of 87 from the map pin but still fits the area better than any of their other locations.

Neither location is in an area we travel to so hope someone else shops in the area and can check out.

I see from the Tesla map that Dublin is supposed to get another Supercharger. Does that mean an expansion of the existing site or another site in town? Anybody know?

I'm sure somebody knows, but whether they can post that information here is another story.

Note that the Dublin site has already been expanded (from 10 to 14 stalls). I haven't heard of anything else in the works, but I get most of what I know from here, so...???...

Bruce.

Maybe we have another store to look out for. While looking for any permit in San Jose at the Target on Coleman (btw didn't find any reference to Target in the Sept or Oct reports), I did found this permit dated 10/2/17 for EV charging stations ($25,000 job) located in the Westfield Valley Fair Shopping Center (880 and Stevens Creek Blvd. in San Jose -- sometimes listed online as Santa Clara). Don't know if these are Tesla Superchargers or someone elses but sounds like a rather large job.

Westfield_SanJose_EVCS_100217 - 1.jpg

It says Macy's so not sure if it's near their building at ground level, in the parking garage (multi-level) near Macy's maybe, or if you plug in the address into Google Maps it places you near the Monroe Street garage (multi-level) along the 880 side of the Shopping Center at the other end from Macy's. Busy mall across from Santana Row (where there is a Tesla dealership).

In the same October permit report I found another Macy's EV charging station installation permit dated 10/20/17, this time at Eastridge Mall, 2210 Eastridge Loop. Smaller job than the Valley Fair Mall job.

Eastridge_SanJose_EVCS_102017 - 1.jpg

I can definitely see Macy's partnering up with Tesla and supporting EV charging. Wonder if these could be the Santa Clara and San Jose Supercharging stations pinned on the Tesla Map. I know the upcoming locations have a pin placed on the name of the city and not necessarily a specific location so this could be those two locations.

Last edited:
Reactions: McManX
Maybe we have another store to look out for. While looking for any permit in San Jose at the Target on Coleman (btw didn't find any reference to Target in the Sept or Oct reports), I did found this permit dated 10/2/17 for EV charging stations ($25,000 job) located in the Westfield Valley Fair Shopping Center (880 and Stevens Creek Blvd. in San Jose -- sometimes listed online as Santa Clara). Don't know if these are Tesla Superchargers or someone elses but sounds like a rather large job.

View attachment 261722

It says Macy's so not sure if it's near their building at ground level, in the parking garage (multi-level) near Macy's maybe, or if you plug in the address into Google Maps it places you near the Monroe Street garage (multi-level) along the 880 side of the Shopping Center at the other end from Macy's. Busy mall across from Santana Row (where there is a Tesla dealership).

In the same October permit report I found another Macy's EV charging station installation permit dated 10/20/17, this time at Eastridge Mall, 2210 Eastridge Loop. Smaller job than the Valley Fair Mall job.

View attachment 261723

I can definitely see Macy's partnering up with Tesla and supporting EV charging. Wonder if these could be the Santa Clara and San Jose Supercharging stations pinned on the Tesla Map. I know the upcoming locations have a pin placed on the name of the city and not necessarily a specific location so this could be those two locations.

Nice find but seems on the cheap side for a supercharger.

Reactions: bmah
Definitely not a Tesla Supercharger if that is the total cost of the installation. Superchargers are likely over $100,000 per site, probably generally over $200,000 for 10+ pedestals, and way more than that for sites like the new Kettleman City location.

Definitely not a Tesla Supercharger if that is the total cost of the installation. Superchargers are likely over $100,000 per site, probably generally over $200,000 for 10+ pedestals, and way more than that for sites like the new Kettleman City location.

The prices I have seen on permit reports have ranged from $75,000 to $150,000, but yeah I'm sure huge stations go over that.

So the Macy's listings are some type of Level 2 chargers then?

From old reports about Tesla and Supercharging Partners it sounded like Tesla was footing the bill for the vast amount of work and materials with sometimes only the partner company either just committing to make the space available for a set number of years in many cases or sometime paying a portion of the install. Found this old article to refresh my memory: Inside Tesla’s Supercharger Partner Program: The Costs And Commitments Of Electrifying Road Transport Don't know I've seen anything recently about the type of program/arrangements that are putting Superchargers in places like Target, Meijers, Sheetz, etc. If Tesla would be footing the bill for the equipment, electricity, etc, is it possible that Macy's as in the above case would only be responsible for a smaller amount of the work performed under the permit? For example as a homeowner we paid a contractor to take out the permit for our electrical work and if we had supplied our own HPWC I'm thinking that's not added to the valuation of the job and I've seen some permit applications state owner supplied equipment with no dollar amount given on that.

Anyone link to permits for other recently installed Supercharger sites. This stuff is either easy to find online or difficult depending on the city involved. Transparency varies greatly.

Last edited:
FWIW here's the permit link to the Cupertino Valco Parkway Main Street Garage install which was for 5 Tesla Superchargers and 10 Tesla Charging posts and supporting equipment. Error * Looks like while the link comes up for me and I can see the permit it keeps returning an error here. The permit number is B-2017-1539 if you want to look it up on the City of Cupertino's WebLink area.

Valued at $150,000 so extrapolating that would be $30,000 per Supercharger with 2 charging posts. The permit lists this contractor from Denver, CO. and the architect from Akron, OH.

The prices I have seen on permit reports have ranged from $75,000 to $150,000, but yeah I'm sure huge stations go over that.
I believe the expense of installing superchargers has gone down significantly over the years. OTOH, they tend to be building bigger superchargers these days, but yeah 75-150k seems about right. I remember when they were commonly around a quarter million to install.