Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers and Oklahoma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We recently went on a road trip and I was astounded at the lack of superchargers in Oklahoma. In neighborhing Texas there are nearly infinitely many superchargers now. Oklahoma is meanwhile barren, and it isn't a question of demand. Oklahoma city has a single supercharger location, and it was full, with a long line waiting to charge. The electrify america station in town was also full with with a line.

Have their been political barriers for Tesla here? There are a lot of "Francis Energy" chargers with mixed reliability and slow speeds (Though, we did get one to work!) I'm wondering if they have political clout or something.

I think it's just low density of Teslas. They put them on the Interstates were travelers would need them but that's about it. But yeah, OKC REALLY needs an upgrade. Selfishly I would love to see one in the Edmond area, along I-35, as we have friends and family that live in Edmond.

That being said, I have had really great experiences w/ the Francis Energy chargers. Every summer we make 2 trips from Tulsa, OK to Davis, OK. The first time we used the SC in Ardmore and it added over an hour to the trip. I spoke to a friend who travels to Dallas regularly and said to look into Francis. There are 3 DC chargers on the route (and we are only on Interstate for a small part of that trip). So even though they are slower than SCs (although the ones we use in Davis and Ada are 200kW), they are way faster due to having better locations.

There are a lot of "Francis Energy" chargers with mixed reliability and slow speeds (Though, we did get one to work!) I'm wondering if they have political clout or something.

Every state in the country got money from the Volkswagen settlement.

From that money, 15% can be used to install chargers.

In large and urban states, the bidding processes are very competitive with many applicants applying.

In small and rural states, the bidding processes are very uncompetitive with few applicants (or even none) applying.

Francis Energy has been winning contracts from states where hardly anyone else applied.

Have their been political barriers for Tesla here?
What makes you think that there is a conspiracy against Tesla?

The only "political barriers" are Tesla not bothering to submit applications.

Last edited:
What makes you think that there is a conspiracy against Tesla?

The only "political barriers" are Tesla not bothering to submit applications.

Political barriers, not necessarily a conspiracy against Tesla… but stuff like this suggests the state isn’t going out of its way to make things easy: