Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Vienna, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plug In Sites (Lanny) posted detailed info including the site plans for this supercharger. Worth the look: V3 Supercharger Planned for Vienna, Virginia Wawa | PlugInSites

Thanks that is really interesting with the 430kva cabs split between 4 stalls. I think what we are learning is that V3 is a pretty flexible architecture, it seems like they can size the cabs differently and split the power however they want depending on the site.

Indeed, I still have not seen an actual label on a V3 power module which would indicate the input power/current it can support. Right now the talk of a megawatt is solely based on 250kW support for each of the four stalls, but maybe not simultaneously as we see in this example. Power is still shared, which with statistical multiplexing across four stalls and the older S/X models in the mix that do not support the full 250kW, it may not matter much.

I think it would be rather foolish for Tesla to size all of the equipment for 250kW per stall all at once for all the reasons you mention. Not to mention in a lot of cases they will simply be limited by the utilities transformer size.

The announcement was pretty clear that they should be 1MW cabinets.

Introducing V3 Supercharging

Faster Charging, No More Power Sharing
V3 is a completely new architecture for Supercharging. A new 1MW power cabinet with a similar design to our utility-scale productssupports peak rates of up to 250kW per car.”

“Supercharger stations with V3’s new power electronics are designed to enable any owner to charge at the full power their battery can take – no more splitting power with a vehicle in the stall next to you.”

The interesting thing to me is why there would be two cabinets for 8 stalls. Perhaps they are leaving room for more in the future?

The announcement was pretty clear that they should be 1MW cabinets.

Introducing V3 Supercharging

Faster Charging, No More Power Sharing
V3 is a completely new architecture for Supercharging. A new 1MW power cabinet with a similar design to our utility-scale productssupports peak rates of up to 250kW per car.”

“Supercharger stations with V3’s new power electronics are designed to enable any owner to charge at the full power their battery can take – no more splitting power with a vehicle in the stall next to you.”

The interesting thing to me is why there would be two cabinets for 8 stalls. Perhaps they are leaving room for more in the future?

Despite what the announcement said, it appears that the V3 cabinets are rated at 430 kW shared across four stalls. That's substantially more than what a V2 configuration provides.

Reactions: vdiv
Despite what the announcement said, it appears that the V3 cabinets are rated at 430 kW shared across four stalls. That's substantially more than what a V2 configuration provides.

Does this match with other V3 sites like Fremont Factory and Vegas? Are they all using 430kW cabs and sharing 4 stalls or is this configuration specific to smaller 4 and 8 stall sites.

Does this match with other V3 sites like Fremont Factory and Vegas? Are they all using 430kW cabs and sharing 4 stalls or is this configuration specific to smaller 4 and 8 stall sites.

All V3 sites appear to be structured similarly. Many Trans-Canada Highway V3 sites are only getting 6 stalls installed (three stalls per charging cabinet), leaving room for two more in the future.

• Informative
Reactions: vdiv
Agreed -- MicroCenter is too far to reach while charging. I haven't been to the Italian Gourmet -- looks pretty good -- but I also have to give a shout out to Amphora Restaurant, just a block to the northeast on Maple Ave. It's a traditional diner and it's open 24 hours -- not all that different from what I grew up with in NJ. Good option if you need a longer charge.

I like Wawa's sandwiches and other made-to-order food well enough, but their big downside in my view is most (all?) of them lack of any seating, indoor or outdoor, which makes it less convenient to eat while charging. Interestingly, one of the documents attached to the Vienna permit site shows a small seating area inside...
View attachment 462063
I would rather walk from Wawa in the other direction on Maple towards Tysons. Much better dining options there including Taco Bamba, Plaka grill and Chopt. Also Whole Foods nearby.

Reactions: Big Earl
I would rather walk from Wawa in the other direction on Maple towards Tysons. Much better dining options there including Taco Bamba, Plaka grill and Chopt. Also Whole Foods nearby.
Oooh, +1 for Plaka Grill, didn't realize that was so close -- the only one I've been to is in Falls Church City. Generally faster than Amphora (which is also toward Tysons). The others require crossing Maple Ave, and Whole Foods is nearly a mile away, so not quite as easily accessible, but still good options if you have time, or maybe a bike / scooter.

Edited to add (off-topic): there's a good Greek place similar to Plaka right near the Baltimore supercharger (McHenry Row) -- it's called Samos.

Last edited:
I was in Tyson's this morning so I went by to take look at the site for the first time and was surprised to see it surrounded by protesters with signs that read "Honk if you love trees" and "Stop cutting down our trees" which was very confusing, until I turned the corned and was able to make out a row of sizable stumps along the rear of the property which happens to be adjacent to the back yards of a couple single family homes. I guess not the best way to introduce yourself to the neighborhood.

I was in Tyson's this morning so I went by to take look at the site for the first time and was surprised to see it surrounded by protesters with signs that read "Honk if you love trees" and "Stop cutting down our trees" which was very confusing, until I turned the corned and was able to make out a row of sizable stumps along the rear of the property which happens to be adjacent to the back yards of a couple single family homes. I guess not the best way to introduce yourself to the neighborhood.

That’s unfortunate, especially since engine noise will be minimized once the site open due to these being EV charging spaces instead of regular gasser spots. Also, the trees were cut down over a month ago. I think I posted a picture in this thread.

Bump from October 2nd. (click link above for pic)

Are they removing even more trees? It would be nice to keep the ones along the fence line.

I didn't take pictures and was viewing from the opposite side of the property from your vantage point, so it's hard to say how many of those are still standing. As @Lanny pointed out, looks like someone f-ed up.

Edit: That parking lot you were in was roped off, literally, with rope.

Last edited: