Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Vandalism

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are simple solutions, there are one-way security bolts that can be used (nothing is foolproof, but makes it significantly more difficult and the sign will likely be damaged during removal, making the theft less tempting, who wants a damaged sign?). Cameras are ok, but then where do the cameras mount? Who reviews the video? Then the cameras themselves become a target as well.

Of course in small printing below the signs say "WARNING: signage connected to high voltage, do not touch". This would weed out the morons.

Two separate Model S owners told the contractor at SJC during construction that they would take the signs as soon as they were put up...Sure enough, the signs disappeared quickly. Last time I was there, there was more than 2 missing...

I find the part of the story about the Model S owners unbelievable. I think the contractor most likely misheard or misinterpreted or was pulling your leg. Not that there aren't a few Model S owners who are bad apples, but are they really stupid enough to announce their intention to commit a crime?

I find the part of the story about the Model S owners unbelievable. I think the contractor most likely misheard or misinterpreted or was pulling your leg. Not that there aren't a few Model S owners who are bad apples, but are they really stupid enough to announce their intention to commit a crime?

The multiple uses of "they" in the quote lead to a few possible interpretations.

After some thought, the one that I think makes the most sense is that the Tesla owners were warning the contractor about the neighborhood, and that some third party "they" would most likely steal the signs.

It seems unlikely that someone who just spent $90k on a car is feeling motivated to steal a road sign (those I guess it's possible.)
Walter

You have a very different definition of destructive to me and I think the council order was ridiculous.

It cost me money that would not otherwise have needed to be spent. it also destroyed value of my property. It destroyed the beauty of a nice wall. If your only definition of destruction needs to have physical pieces lying around, I'm afraid I disagree.

I wish they caned for stuff like that, like in -Gapore. I knew I'd be seeing stuff like this before long.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't agree. Vandalistic actions starts from little things like this and then get bigger and bigger. IMO Tesla should monitor SCs with cameras and sue anybody doing vandalistic actions of any kind. We should remember that SCs are common goods and that vandalistic actions will hit all of us.

Exactly my thoughts 2. Notice how many of these are at the back of parking lots. I wonder if there'd be a way to allow drivers in vicinity to view the area of the SC before getting to it.