Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supercharger - Ukiah (contract not finalized)

Teslas plan to bring superchargers to Ukiah moving forward
Quote from that article:
"When Tesla agreed to shift the spaces a bit to the west, the council approved the proposal on the conditions that only two of the eight spaces be reserved for Tesla drivers in the beginning, while the remaining six be two-hour parking spots like the spaces surrounding them. If the two spaces are engaged more than 50 percent of the time during business hours, the council agreed, two more spaces can be reserved just for Tesla, and so on, until all eight are reserved."
I think Tesla is being extremely accommodating. I don't like the idea of any Supercharger stalls being available for general parking, ever.

Quote from that article:
"When Tesla agreed to shift the spaces a bit to the west, the council approved the proposal on the conditions that only two of the eight spaces be reserved for Tesla drivers in the beginning, while the remaining six be two-hour parking spots like the spaces surrounding them. If the two spaces are engaged more than 50 percent of the time during business hours, the council agreed, two more spaces can be reserved just for Tesla, and so on, until all eight are reserved."
I think Tesla is being extremely accommodating. I don't like the idea of any Supercharger stalls being available for general parking, ever.

I like the idea of cheap Supercharging, and if you also want cheap Supercharging, then you'll have to put up with shared spots and long walks to amenities.

There's no mention of Tesla paying rent for those parking spots. Tesla gets the spots it needs (no mentioned of monthly rent), town gets some more J1772 chargers and more business.

Yes, it is pretty accommodating. I think maybe they were being a little more accommodating than they would have if Willits hadn't already turned them down. Willits was spaced better between Petaluma and Eureka and they already struck out there (which is crazy as Willits needs all the help it can get and had literally nothing to lose).

Quote from that article:

It's extremely common, though. There are lots and lots of supercharger spots like that. The idea is that this area has heavy parking during business hours, but superchargers are most crowded on weekends.

Yes, it is pretty accommodating. I think maybe they were being a little more accommodating than they would have if Willits hadn't already turned them down. Willits was spaced better between Petaluma and Eureka and they already struck out there (which is crazy as Willits needs all the help it can get and had literally nothing to lose).
This past August, just before getting my S, we drove from SF to Seattle in the ICE car. We had one night planned in Fort Bragg.
So we stopped in Willits for gas and some snacks, then took the 20 to the coast. Next morning, back up the 20 to Willits to get back to the 101 north (driving the 1 all the way up the coast was way too slow going for our taste).
So, yes Willits would have been a perfect stop for a Supercharger on that trip. Driving back up the 20, there is plenty of range-reducing elevation change, which you would not want to drive back south to Ukiah to make up for, if needed.

Also, am no expert, but the further north you go in CA, the more conservative the mindset seems to be. Am not sure it had an impact in the Willits refusal, or the challenges in Ukiah, but those elected officials do cater to theirs constituents priorities. It will be interesting to see how well received Tesla owners are by the monster truck drivers up there...

Also, am no expert, but the further north you go in CA, the more conservative the mindset seems to be. Am not sure it had an impact in the Willits refusal, or the challenges in Ukiah, but those elected officials do cater to theirs constituents priorities. It will be interesting to see how well received Tesla owners are by the monster truck drivers up there...

my best response was when I was getting a flat bed tow and I was riding with the tow driver - A younger guy in a big tall older pickup drove past us and held his hand out the window with a big thumbs up but then ( & I could practically hear the sound!) turned it upside down while making a raspberry farting sound...totally understandable in this circumstance:redface:
other big truck drivers ~50:50 some love the Tesla some hate electrics

my best response was when I was getting a flat bed tow and I was riding with the tow driver - A younger guy in a big tall older pickup drove past us and held his hand out the window with a big thumbs up but then ( & I could practically hear the sound!) turned it upside down while making a raspberry farting sound...totally understandable in this circumstance:redface:
You just keep fighting the good fight; soon there will be more of us driving through your area once the Superchargers (Ukiah, Crescent City) are on line. That should allow others to shoulder a bit of the load on the thumbs down from truck drivers. :)

You just keep fighting the good fight; soon there will be more of us driving through your area once the Superchargers (Ukiah, Crescent City) are on line. That should allow others to shoulder a bit of the load on the thumbs down from truck drivers. :)

I have had more 'thumbs-ups' than downs in general but that one was pretty awesome as my car was on the way to getting a new power switch in San Rafael. Not sure but I think the truck had some fleshy colored balls hanging under the rear :eek:
There are >10 S' in the Humboldt Bay area, I have met drivers of 6 pre-AP cars and have seen or heard of a few more. I think there are a couple in Fortuna that I have never seen and I know of 1 X reservation up past Trinidad.

Totally bizarre, short-sighted and economically irrational behavior. If I were a business owner in these cities, I would be pressuring the approving authority to grant Tesla any permit it wanted to bring more Superchargers and thus more Tesla drivers into my town. Just can't get over the stupidity of these cities who refuse to bring good, clean economic activity into their towns. Every time we stop at a Supercharger and patronize one or more businesses that we never would have even seen but for the Supercharger, I let the stores and restaurants know that.

Excellent news! I wonder if any of the others along the Northern California coast are also under construction with being noticed.

I don't know about Eureka, but up in Crescent City my mother-in-law has agreed to check out the site every so often and let me know if anything happens. On Tesla's map all 3 have 'coming soon' markers but only Ukiah shows a red one for the 'future' 2015 map. That leads me to believe that they hope to be done with Ukiah by the end of the year.

I don't know about Eureka, but up in Crescent City my mother-in-law has agreed to check out the site every so often and let me know if anything happens. On Tesla's map all 3 have 'coming soon' markers but only Ukiah shows a red one for the 'future' 2015 map. That leads me to believe that they hope to be done with Ukiah by the end of the year.

if Eureka happens I will find out too

Quote from that article:
A problem with this formula for increasing the number of exclusive spaces is that owners who are paying attention will preferentially park in a general parking space if one is open, leaving the exclusive spaces open for the next drivers. Otherwise the later arrivals might get ICEd. Perhaps a formula should consider the frequency of any space being occupied rather than just the two exclusive spaces.

Good News,
The 8 Supercharger stalls are ready and soon it will be open.
I just visited this morning and took few pictures. I also like to do grand opening and invite all the tesla owners nearby to join the opening. I'll arrange the party.
FullSizeRender 5.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

More Pictures of Ukiah Supercharger
IMG_4439.JPG
IMG_4440.JPG
IMG_4441.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele