Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger team sacked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However you read this, it’s clear that it’s a knee jerk decision for the simple reason that there has been zero management of the PR fallout. And let’s be honest, the immediate reaction to the headline will be fear, uncertainty, and doubt. Are Tesla going to row back on the SC network? Will the reliability of the existing chargers decline? Will maintenance of the current chargers take a step back? Is Elon preparing for a reduced profile for Tesla in the EV marketplace? Does he think the Chinese manufacturers will win out?

I’m pretty sure that anyone who owns a Tesla and thinks about the implications of this strategy is now wondering what the hell is going on and whether their next car will be a Tesla or not. This is the sort of PR mess that governments get themselves into, not well-run companies.

However you read this, it’s clear that it’s a knee jerk decision for the simple reason that there has been zero management of the PR fallout. And let’s be honest, the immediate reaction to the headline will be fear, uncertainty, and doubt. Are Tesla going to row back on the SC network? Will the reliability of the existing chargers decline? Will maintenance of the current chargers take a step back? Is Elon preparing for a reduced profile for Tesla in the EV marketplace? Does he think the Chinese manufacturers will win out?

I’m pretty sure that anyone who owns a Tesla and thinks about the implications of this strategy is now wondering what the hell is going on and whether their next car will be a Tesla or not. This is the sort of PR mess that governments get themselves into, not well-run companies.
Didn't he just fire the PR department?

Reactions: FastEddieB
I watched as much of the Munro video as I could stomach. I've enjoyed the teardowns etc ever since they started making videos of them, but this was the first time I've heard Sandy saying you had no furhter need for an R&D dept as you already had the best charger. Given that SuC have developed from V1 to V4, is that it? Have we reached perfection? He clearly thinks so. When else has he championed not improving or developing something? His whole business is based on helping manufacturers improve what they do through better design and development. It was a really weird watch tbh.

I watched as much of the Munro video as I could stomach. I've enjoyed the teardowns etc ever since they started making videos of them, but this was the first time I've heard Sandy saying you had no furhter need for an R&D dept as you already had the best charger. Given that SuC have developed from V1 to V4, is that it? Have we reached perfection? He clearly thinks so. When else has he championed not improving or developing something? His whole business is based on helping manufacturers improve what they do through better design and development. It was a really weird watch tbh.
I had the exact same thoughts as you. The Cybertruck already charges faster on Electrify America 350kW chargers than it does on Tesla's own network!

Fair enough you probably could cut the team down in size if you're not going to be expanding as aggressively as they have in recent years, but to get rid of everybody is madness. That email that they were sending out to contractors in the US was embarrassing!

Yes so you need government funding to get the chargers in the first place otherwise it doesn't make commercial sense. Not sure that covers everything but lets say it does.

Average Supercharger cost per kWh in the UK is say 67p/kWh
Cost per kWh to supply the site is maybe around 26p/kWh x 20% VAT so let's say 31p/kWh
Ignoring any other costs of running the network (Obviously there is) then they make 36p/kWh
Average speed of charging is maybe 100KW so in an hour it can make £36
Let's say it's in use for 8 hours a day, other hours it's empty so that's £288 a day from a single Supercharger or £105,120 a year
Say we have an 8 stall site then £840,960 a year

Average speed of 50KW and that halves that number, in use for 4 hours a day on all tombstones over 8, halved again. Maybe doesn't start to stack up by that point. The costs to run the network are unknown but you imagine the bigger the scale, the cheaper that'll become.
Might want to revise those numbers as they've fallen significantly. I paid 36p/kWh in Norwich this week.

Every other charging network is significantly more than that. The closest I found was E.ON at 51p/kWh.

Superchargers are, for now, by far the cheapest way to charge away from home.

Maybe if they charged closer to the market rate they'd have earned their keep.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
Fair enough you probably could cut the team down in size if you're not going to be expanding as aggressively as they have in recent years, but to get rid of everybody is madness. That email that they were sending out to contractors in the US was embarrassing!
That was the plan, to reduce the team size. It's just the Musk forgot his responsibilities as a CEO and fired the whole team to set an example to do as he wishes. Now they have lost all knowledge, don't have a clue what they are doing and will have to hire in new people (or rehire people on new contracts).

Been reading that BP wants to acquire real estate to scale their charging network in the US. Last year they signed a deal to buy $100 million worth of superchargers.

Could this played a part in getting rid of the supercharger team???

Other companies buy land, make deals with placing chargers at different locations with Tesla just supplying the hardware?

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr
Been reading that BP wants to acquire real estate to scale their charging network in the US. Last year they signed a deal to buy $100 million worth of superchargers.

Could this played a part in getting rid of the supercharger team???

Other companies buy land, make deals with placing chargers at different locations with Tesla just supplying the hardware?
I heard BP wanted to hire to SC team that Musk fired, including those who repair the SC's and had $1B to invest in the Supercharger program.

That was the plan, to reduce the team size. It's just the Musk forgot his responsibilities as a CEO and fired the whole team to set an example to do as he wishes. Now they have lost all knowledge, don't have a clue what they are doing and will have to hire in new people (or rehire people on new contracts).
Guess he figures he can pick up a new SC team in front of Home Depot.

1715298788109.png

Reactions: MD70