Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tannersville, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Visited this location yesterday in my X. Didn't have anything on the hitch, but there are actually 2 pull in stalls there - nice! And a path to the main drag right around the corner. When I drove by earlier this summer, I thought the stalls are behind the stores and we'd have to shlep a long way around. It's actually pretty convenient.

Nice. We saw your X. I was sleeping in the gray S and the rest of the family was shopping when you pulled in.

It is a nice parking area. Not too far from the food court and very rare chance of them getting ICEd.

Reactions: Stasla and madodel
Drove from West Chester to Mt. Pocono, then over to Tannersville to charge as I was down to 39% after starting out at 99% -- not enough to get home. Charged to 65%. On trip home after an hours' drive I stopped at the SC in Allentown. At both sites there was only 1 other car, so no need for sharing. And at the first my battery was at 39% and at the 2nd it was at 50%, and I let it charge for half an hour as I got a sandwich.

I don't use SCs all that often, but compared to the original claims that I heard (150miles of energy in 30 minutes?) despite being 1 of only 2 cars there, my charging rate seemed to be closer to 50 - 60 miles in half an hour. While that is considerably faster than charging at home with a dedicated 240 line, is it also way far off than 150 miles. Are other SCs significantly faster? I guess I could have understood it if all the bays were full, but with just 2 cars there, that wasn't the case.

Drove from West Chester to Mt. Pocono, then over to Tannersville to charge as I was down to 39% after starting out at 99% -- not enough to get home. Charged to 65%. On trip home after an hours' drive I stopped at the SC in Allentown. At both sites there was only 1 other car, so no need for sharing. And at the first my battery was at 39% and at the 2nd it was at 50%, and I let it charge for half an hour as I got a sandwich.

I don't use SCs all that often, but compared to the original claims that I heard (150miles of energy in 30 minutes?) despite being 1 of only 2 cars there, my charging rate seemed to be closer to 50 - 60 miles in half an hour. While that is considerably faster than charging at home with a dedicated 240 line, is it also way far off than 150 miles. Are other SCs significantly faster? I guess I could have understood it if all the bays were full, but with just 2 cars there, that wasn't the case.

You get the higher rate the emptier your battery is when you arrive and it tapers during your charge session.
Best analogy I heard was filling up a glass with water without overflowing. If the glass is empty you can turn the spigot on full briefly. If the glass is half full, you're not turning it on full. Don't think I've spent longer than 30 minutes at a charger in a long time and I've used many.

You weren't at the Mt Pocono Harvest Fest on Saturday were you? I had my X on display for a few hours in the afternoon.

I agree with the other comments regarding the charge. Should be able to get up to 80-90% in 30-40 minutes, but the last 10-20% is really slow.

No, I was at a competitive shooting event at the Inn at Mt. Pocono -- sorry I missed your event.

At Tannersville my battery was at 39% and at Allentown it was at 50% when I arrived -- not even close to 80%. In both cases I only charged to about 65% because that's all I needed to make it home.

This supercharger was down tonight, they had it all apart in pieces when i arrived. these guys were from electric company, not tesla, and said the transformers were completely shot and needed to get replaced and that this site would probably be down for a few days. i had arrived here with about 15 miles range left and 20 miles to go. i had no other choice so i drove 30-35mph the rest of the way. almost made it. needless to say, i ran out of juice for the 1st time in 4 years and 140k miles. there are no public chargers or chargepoint stations around these parts so i didn't really have a choice, got screwed here. i had 100% charged this morning too to around 232 miles range (2013 P85), and when I ran out of juice it said i had used 60.1 kWh. this supercharger is critical for me to get to work and home as i can't do it on a full 100% charge and I have to supercharge daily. but that's some really shitty degradation, looks like around a bit over 20% loss.

This supercharger was down tonight, they had it all apart in pieces when i arrived. these guys were from electric company, not tesla, and said the transformers were completely shot and needed to get replaced and that this site would probably be down for a few days. i had arrived here with about 15 miles range left and 20 miles to go. i had no other choice so i drove 30-35mph the rest of the way. almost made it.

Never had this problem, but others have posed similar problems elsewhere, with a different solution.

If you arrive at a SpC and it isn't working, and you don't clearly have enough charge to make it elsewhere, you can call Tesla and they will send a flatbed for you. The flatbed will bring you to the closest charging station, usually another SpC. Last I heard, its free if the fault isn't yours. I wouldn't rely on that, but I would call them before leaving the broken SpC.

Plugshare shows Pocono Manor Resort about 10 miles from the Tannersville Supercharger. It has 6 Tesla destination chargers and the comments say you have to pay for valet parking. I've been to Pocono Manor and had no idea they have the chargers, but I am local. There is also the Pocono Vacation RV park around the corner from me which has NEMA 14-50 outlets which is about 7 miles from the Crossings. Not sure on availability. You might want to keep those emergency locations in mind for the future.

@yobigd20 , When you got the 60.1kWh out of the S P85 battery, did the display tell you a) any miles beyond '0 RM'; or b) the kWh you used after you reached a '0 range'? I've speculated that for a car that is recently had its battery rebalanced, there will likely be little or no 'beyond 0' range. On the other hand, I think that if the car hasn't been rebalanced, there will probably be more 'beyond 0' range -- and its a little bit of a guessing game.

@yobigd20 , When you got the 60.1kWh out of the S P85 battery, did the display tell you a) any miles beyond '0 RM'; or b) the kWh you used after you reached a '0 range'? I've speculated that for a car that is recently had its battery rebalanced, there will likely be little or no 'beyond 0' range. On the other hand, I think that if the car hasn't been rebalanced, there will probably be more 'beyond 0' range -- and its a little bit of a guessing game.

oh my eyes were glued to this for sure. i got about 1 mile after hitting 0, and it was mostly downhill. there is definitely "no reserve".

If you arrive at a SpC and it isn't working, and you don't clearly have enough charge to make it elsewhere, you can call Tesla and they will send a flatbed for you. The flatbed will bring you to the closest charging station, usually another SpC. Last I heard, its free if the fault isn't yours. I wouldn't rely on that, but I would call them before leaving the broken SpC.

that is definitely good to know, thx

Plugshare shows Pocono Manor Resort about 10 miles from the Tannersville Supercharger. It has 6 Tesla destination chargers and the comments say you have to pay for valet parking. I've been to Pocono Manor and had no idea they have the chargers, but I am local. There is also the Pocono Vacation RV park around the corner from me which has NEMA 14-50 outlets which is about 7 miles from the Crossings. Not sure on availability. You might want to keep those emergency locations in mind for the future.

yea i'm familar with the area, i stay in arrowhead lakes during the week a lot. i thought on plugshare it said they were at Kalahari but costs $25 to use and valet only. no thanks and i probably would have run out of juice trying to figure out where it is in this place as i was that low. i did see another place that said wall socket, which i assumed meant the standard 15A and I didn't have my UMC on me, which wouldn't have mattered anyway because my UMC and NEMA 14-50 were permanently fused melted together. tesla wont replace it and they tried charging me $600 for another one which i obviously said no and is clearly a widespread design defect (not my fault their UMC design sucks). it was still working the way it was though, and couldn't use anything other than the NEMA 14-50 melted on it.

Last edited:
yobigd20,
How did you finally get a charge to your car?

it shut down in the middle of the road right almost in front of my house in our development. (thank god it didnt happen on locus ridge road, that would have been VERY DANGEROUS). i thought when i got the warning they would have given me at least a mile or something but no, i didnt even get about 50ft before it shut down.

i was able to daisy chain together 2 100ft crappy extension cords, but first I had to go to work on my melted UMC which was previously permanently fused to my NEMA 14-50 (this happened months ago). so i went at it with 2 flathead screwdrivers and vice grips and was able to pry them apart without damaging the prongs. its not pretty, and then I had to take the 5-15 and squeeze them back together to the point they were functional which was difficult given that the UMC half is deformed.

THEN i had to cross my fingers that the car would accept ANY charge at all. 12amps would show charge error. 9 amps would show charge error. 5 amps accepted the charge. bringing it up to 8 amps would show charge error. so at 7 amps and 104 volts (talk about big voltage drop) and 1mph charge rate and 45 minutes later, it finally stopped showing the 'must charge now' error and allowed me to put the car back in drive to drive it the final 140ft to my house. i lucked out that i didnt need towing, and i'm surprised it took the charge with 2 extension cords. I was afraid that the electronics themselves would use more power than 7amps and 104volts and that it would eventually completely shut off but thankfully not.

oh while i was out there (pitch black at night), someone called the cops on me so i had to deal with them too. its a muddy dirt road in a development with no lighting. they thought the whole thing was funny given how close i was to making it. (which means it was also one of my neighbors that called them on me, kind of weird). they stayed and chatted with me the whole time we were waiting to be able to move it, obviously they in love with the car and kept asking all details about it.

oh then of course after pulling in i had to do bit of work to pry off the 5-15 and then put both the deformed 14-50 and umc back together to charge lol buy yey it still works! i'm eventually going to cut the adapter off and hard wire a 14-50 on the UMC with the proper resistor, but thats a project for another day.

oh then of course after pulling in i had to do bit of work to pry off the 5-15 and then put both the deformed 14-50 and umc back together to charge lol buy yey it still works! i'm eventually going to cut the adapter off and hard wire a 14-50 on the UMC with the proper resistor, but thats a project for another day.

If your UMC overheated and melted the attachment to its adaptor, I would bet Tesla will replace under warranty. They don't want the negative publicity from a fire. Those older UMCs are known to have a problem with overheating, have already been recalled and the parts replaced with ones with an internal temp sensor which shuts the unit down before it overheats.

But you have been here for almost 5 years/ You know this already, don't you? Have you already tried?

they were at Kalahari but costs $25
Kalahari has several HPWCs and a few J1772s. They are located in the Valet Parking lot on the right side, as you approach the main entrance. I'm certain the valets would let you grab a few kw, whiteout charging the $25 fee. If you want to be really sneaky, I believe the cord will reach your charge port if you stay in the service rd. The charging equipment is all in the last row of the lot (need key card to enter the lot) closest to that service road. Again, I would recommend checking with the valets. When I stayed at Kalahari for 1 night in early December, they let me charge overnight without the fee, since I wasn't looking for the convenience of Valet parking - I parked there myself. Simply needed the charge to make it home in 1 shot next day in the blistering cold. Granted, I could have let it drain from warming the battery for 24 hrs or so and then stopped at Tannersville Supercharger on the way back, but honestly, I just didn't want to make the trip longer than it had to be with 3 kids in tow.

If your UMC overheated and melted the attachment to its adaptor, I would bet Tesla will replace under warranty. They don't want the negative publicity from a fire. Those older UMCs are known to have a problem with overheating, have already been recalled and the parts replaced with ones with an internal temp sensor which shuts the unit down before it overheats.

But you have been here for almost 5 years/ You know this already, don't you? Have you already tried?

Yea and that original one was replaced years ago for melting. This was a replacement umc, supposedly fixed and not supposed to melt. I'm at 140k miles which is why they told me to shove it and won't replace it.

• Informative
Reactions: CSFTN
Yea and that original one was replaced years ago for melting. This was a replacement umc, supposedly fixed and not supposed to melt. I'm at 140k miles which is why they told me to shove it and won't replace it.

Have you had your 14-50 wiring checked for proper grounding, etc?

The amount of heat sounds abnormal if it melted adapters on 2 different UMCs.