Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Snafu

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Chopr147

Apr 3, 2016
Wantagh, NY
Headed home and planned a SC stop for lunchtime. I was 95 miles from home with a rated range of 93 miles so I stopped at the Newburgh SC. Problem:
I wasn't able to get a charge. Alert said "check charger power"
I tried 3 separate superchargers out of the 6 units there. Each time the voltage would go up to about 319 then back down to 200 or so then back up to 319, and then back down to zero and stayed there. I tried another SC unit twice--same readings.
I called Tesla Service and after being on hold for about 15 minutes I spoke with a representative. She believed it may be a supercharger issue though I did mention two other cars were here charging and did not have a problem. So she asked me to try another one and after the X charge and left unit 3B I plugged in. No change. She asked me if Newburgh has a service center and I replied "no". I'll give her a break but figured she should have the service center info right in front of her, right? I mentioned Mt. Kisco is probably the closest and she checked and agreed. Gee thanks. It was about 48 miles away so I headed to Mount Kisco. When I arrived I spoke with the service representative who was expecting me and he had me hook up to the destination charger. I didn't realize on the way that they do not have superchargers there so that wasn't really much help.
The destination charger worked fine ,I left it on there for about an hour or went to get some lunch. I probably could have gotten home but why chance it? I charged enough to get home without sweating too much about range. I arrived home with 7% charge left. :) So destination chargers and my home14-50 works just fine. I will go next week to the supercharger near my house in Syosset which is also a service center and see if I still have this issue. Obviously I need to know if there is a supercharger problem regarding this car. I'll call Monday and see if someone can look into it.
I will keep you updated.
I am wondering has anyone else had a problem similar to this? Remember each time I plug the supercharger in the voltage would go up to about 319, come back down somewhat back up all the way and then back down to zero. I would also get alerts popping up "pull over for your safety" and " unable to start car" as it seemed the computer was getting confused. I have had the S for 3 weeks now and I have super charged 4 times with no problems.

Pull over for your safety message usually means a serious problem. Only reports I remember seeing of that message are before a fire (like the intial highway debris fires, before the underbody armor addition.) Get it checked out ASAP.

The car/supercharger closely monitor the connection and will cut power if there are any problems.

I would get it checked out at the service center with the super charger.

I've supercharged a lot and only in a few cases did I have issues. Where it would start and then would immediately go down and say the charge was interrupted, but I didn't interrupt it. So I would try again, and I'd get the same thing. Then I moved to a different stall and it would work fine. I never got any error messages on the screen.

The pull over for your safety is a really bad one. Don't mess around with that one. That's happened before every single fire that I know of.

Pull over for your safety message usually means a serious problem. Only reports I remember seeing of that message are before a fire (like the intial highway debris fires, before the underbody armor addition.) Get it checked out ASAP.

The car/supercharger closely monitor the connection and will cut power if there are any problems.
The "pull over for safety" only popped up while trying to supercharge. Otherwise no problems with the car. And I was SCing so obviously no need to pull over :) Drove another 100+ miles after this snafu and no problem. Also charged last night at home- no problem.
I am going to get it checked out. I'll call Monday but I should have made that call Friday :(

The service center and or the phone tech support should have offered to pull the logs from your car to review the issue... I'd call and and ask if they can!
I did kind of expect more from Tesla. Maybe because I keep hearing of the great service. But no real answer over the phone other than blaming the SC . Unless all SC's were down only when I hook up , then that would be the case. I spoke with service center and an appt. cannot be made until mid October. He did say come by next week and attempt to SC , if same problem occurs he said someone can give it a quick look. I think I have to make an appt. whether or not the issue disappears. This cannot happen again when i am far away from home.

I suspect the person doing the scheduling doesn't realize this is a potentially serious issue, hence the Oct appointment. They will see you same day/walk-in for serious stuff. Just show up and ask for someone to check it out.

Two other cars are there successfully Supercharging and yours keeps shutting off, the problem is with your car.
I would call local Service Center today, and ask to speak with Gen. Mngr.

If you got stuck out on the road without a charge because your car cannot Supercharge, that is a HUGE issue.
And Tesla would have to have your car towed in -- so better for you to drive it in and get it fixed NOW.
The message "Pull over for Safety" is a serious flashing red light that needs to be addressed.

Sounds like a issue with your car, not the Supercharger, so the tech rep (while you were at the Supercharger) might not have been able to fully assist you.

I didn't expect miracles over the phone anyway. It's just the first step one has to take. I usually like to fix issues on my own but 52 years has taught me when to know I am out of my league :)
On Monday I will do my best to explain exactly what happened. Or it may just do it again at the SC then and service can see it for themselves.. We'll see.

Snafu: a confused or chaotic state; a mess. Not going for an acronym

I didn't expect miracles over the phone anyway. It's just the first step one has to take. I usually like to fix issues on my own but 52 years has taught me when to know I am out of my league :)
On Monday I will do my best to explain exactly what happened. Or it may just do it again at the SC then and service can see it for themselves.. We'll see.

Snafu: a confused or chaotic state; a mess. Not going for an acronym

I personally have had a bad experience with the Syosset service center. I think they went through an employee shake-up. Almost everyone is new. Good luck!

Stopped by Syosset service center/ supercharger today. Had to wait a bit as it seems they always leave cars hooked up that are being serviced. 3rd time there and same thing. I would complain but the Tesla rep. said anytime you come here if the SC's are full, just ask us and we will move one of the cars. As usual very polite and helpful.
Onto my problem. I recorded what happens today. SC plug in, same result. Went inside and Jason (rep.) came right out,plugged in again so he could see it in action. Re-set computer: no help.
So yes I made an appt. for 4 weeks from now. Luckily for me I can live w/o the SC until the end of October.(taking a trip)
14-50 charging is not affected.
Thanks for the responses. TMC is always a great source of info. I hope to pay it forward.

Reactions: ApauloThirteen
Onto my problem. I recorded what happens today. SC plug in, same result. Went inside and Jason (rep.) came right out,plugged in again so he could see it in action. Re-set computer: no help.
So yes I made an appt. for 4 weeks from now. Luckily for me I can live w/o the SC until the end of October.(taking a trip)
Was this problem fixed?

Stopped by Syosset service center/ supercharger today. Had to wait a bit as it seems they always leave cars hooked up that are being serviced. 3rd time there and same thing. I would complain but the Tesla rep. said anytime you come here if the SC's are full, just ask us and we will move one of the cars. As usual very polite and helpful.
Thanks for the responses. TMC is always a great source of info. I hope to pay it forward.

What about in some states with service centers that are closed on certain days like Sundays? There are some where demo/inventory cars are parked in front of HWPC charging units, being charged (or most likely are full), which would disallow an owner from getting an opportunity charge if they are strapped for a charge on travel days where some centers are closed. The only other standby is Plugshare and to search out an L2 charger. I feel that Tesla should do a service (not dis-service) by un-blocking HWPC at closed service centers. At least one if not two - should they have two or more. Who else can use them (ok, yes, I know that a HWPC to L2 adapter is coming to the market for "others" to possibly gain access).

I find it unbelievable that they did not mention pulling logs. That is the first thing that gets done each time I have contacted Service. In fact one time they called me when I didn't know I had an issue!

A note on the "pull over for safety" message... But first a disclaimer: I'm not saying that this message shouldn't be taken serious, and I am definitely saying that you should pull over immediately if you get this message while driving.

That said... I get this message, literally every time I finish charging at a CHAdeMO charger. If I have the limit set to, say 80%, the car sends a signal to the charger to stop charging when it reaches 80%. When this happens, the charger happily states that it is finished, and the dash happily shows that it completely successfully. However... the charge port immediately turns red. If I wait a couple of minutes, the dash will start to alternate showing two messages. 1) "Car needs serviced" & 2) "Pull over for safety". I then remove the charger, and everyone is happy again. I will be honest; I just assumed this was a side affect of using a non-Tesla charger with an adapter. For reference, this a Greenlots station. Maybe I should report it to the service center.

Has anyone else with a CHAdeMO adapter experienced this?

As a reference to my message above, I'm attaching images that show the situation. My guess is that it is due to the charging station completely shutting down after it is told by the car that it is done charging, yet the cable is still connected. I am scheduled for an appointment with my SC tomorrow to review this. I'll report back what they say...

Attachments

• Car Needs Service.JPG
    Car Needs Service.JPG
    354.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Pull Over Safely.JPG
    Pull Over Safely.JPG
    316.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Red Ring.JPG
    Red Ring.JPG
    316.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Unable To Start Car.JPG
    Unable To Start Car.JPG