Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Shenandoah, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Utility poles are laying on the ground and pole locations have been marked.

Attachments

• 170A4301-D85B-4245-8913-8B5ACC3165C6.jpeg
    170A4301-D85B-4245-8913-8B5ACC3165C6.jpeg
    904.1 KB · Views: 141
I don't think those transformers are for the Superchargers. Not big enough. I think they might be autotransformers for transmission line regulation or load balancing, not for an end load.
I've had to run utilities to buildings before and there are times I used a 500kVa pad mount transformer and other times I used 3-167kVa pole mount transformers, but they (the transformers) both in the end take the really high 19,000 volts from the overhead lines and step them down to the 480 volts used for the end load. Look at Spring TX Supercharger and Iowa, LA Supercharger, those 2 are powered by the same bank of 3-167kVa's mounted on a pole.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus and XHabjab
How would the total power be rated for individual transformers? Add them all together or multiply by √3? The picture you posted from Spring looks like just 3 transformers for the whole site (8 stalls), which wouldn't be enough either way, but 6 total makes sense for √3 (288kVA each bank) if the utility wants to run them a bit hot, or if Tesla limits the site power.

How would the total power be rated for individual transformers? Add them all together or multiply by √3? The picture you posted from Spring looks like just 3 transformers for the whole site (8 stalls), which wouldn't be enough either way, but 6 total makes sense for √3 (288kVA each bank) if the utility wants to run them a bit hot, or if Tesla limits the site power.
I Agree...the Spring SC only has 3-167's equaling 501kVa and running at 100% could only supply each of the 8 pedestals 62k. Where as the total kVa at Shenandoah is 1002 or 501kVa serving each PSU which would give 125k for each stall. Then again I don't believe they always get designed for 100% capacity.

To answer the individual vs group load part of your question…

You would multiply individual power by 3 for total power.

But I believe these type of transformers are usually single winding autotransformers (@STDRDC13 ?), which means they can only be wired in Y-Y configuration, which allows voltage regulation, but does not allow load balancing, in some ways resulting in lower max load.

The big green transformers usually have separate primary and secondary windings, which allow any configuration of Y-Y, Delta-Y, Delta-Delta or Y-Delta. There are advantages and disadvantages to each.

I’m an EE but not a lineman. I know the technology but not the details of particular products. If I’ve provided incorrect details about these pole mount transformers, please correct me.

Edit: additional info…

Autotransformers: Autotransformer - Wikipedia

Winding configs:

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: STDRDC13 and pb2000
To answer the individual vs group load part of your question…

You would multiply individual power by 3 for total power.

But I believe these type of transformers are usually single winding autotransformers (@STDRDC13 ?), which means they can only be wired in Y-Y configuration, which allows voltage regulation, but does not allow load balancing, in some ways resulting in lower max load.

The big green transformers usually have separate primary and secondary windings, which allow any configuration of Y-Y, Delta-Y, Delta-Delta or Y-Delta. There are advantages and disadvantages to each.

I’m an EE but not a lineman. I know the technology but not the details of particular products. If I’ve provided incorrect details about these pole mount transformers, please correct me.

Edit: additional info…

Autotransformers: Autotransformer - Wikipedia

Winding configs:
Yes the 3-167's on their own are single phased, but when wired as pictured in the "transformed bank" they deliver the same 500kVa 480V 3-phase service as the pad mount units. I've always favored pole mount due to their availability and ease to repair if there is a issue, but they are displeasing to the eye.

The positive is that in the next few days the feeders will be ran up the pole, connections made, and meter set. Then the Superchargers will be ready to be commissioned by Tesla.