Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Seaside, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This conversation has certainly evolved and might need a new title. As we discuss Supercharger needs in Oregon, we should certainly add Klamath Falls to the discussion. With the new Supercharger in Bend a Supercharger In Klamath Falls would link California to Central Oregon and Central/Eastern Washington. The stretch from Mt Shasta City to Bend is still a real reach in the winter.

Reactions: MP3Mike
This conversation has certainly evolved and might need a new title. As we discuss Supercharger needs in Oregon, we should certainly add Klamath Falls to the discussion. With the new Supercharger in Bend a Supercharger In Klamath Falls would link California to Central Oregon and Central/Eastern Washington. The stretch from Mt Shasta City to Bend is still a real reach in the winter.

That'd be something like 82 miles + 133 miles. (Oregon permit database is currently down but when it's up maybe people will want to search and view permits ... )

This conversation has certainly evolved and might need a new title.

Perhaps we should try and limit the discussion in this thread to the Seaside Supercharger? Many of us are still interested in construction, pictures, information about services in the area, etc.

A discussion around the future expansion of the network in Oregon is important and we should have a new thread for that discussion.

Perhaps we should try and limit the discussion in this thread to the Seaside Supercharger? Many of us are still interested in construction, pictures, information about services in the area, etc.

A discussion around the future expansion of the network in Oregon is important and we should have a new thread for that discussion.
Perhaps this one might suffice...

Eastern Oregon superchargers

Perhaps this one might suffice...

Eastern Oregon superchargers

That might be just the thing. I was thinking there might be a need/place for a more open-ended discussion about where we still need Superchargers in the PNW (or state-by-state).

*edit* Went back and re-read some. Yeah, most of the non-site specific discussion is around charging in Eastern Oregon, your link is the right place to continue that.

That might be just the thing. I was thinking there might be a need/place for a more open-ended discussion about where we still need Superchargers in the PNW (or state-by-state).

*edit* Went back and re-read some. Yeah, most of the non-site specific discussion is around charging in Eastern Oregon, your link is the right place to continue that.

Yes, sorry for my part in sidetracking/derailing the topic. From my engineering background that values accurate data, I sometimes get too locked in on false statements (“5 or 6”, “half a dozen”) and want to correct them, even when it is majoring in the minors and not the main topic.

Pobrecito. There are in fact 5-6 ChaDeMo on the Oregon Coast from Astoria to Brookings. No amount of continued deliberate mischaracterizations will make that statement any less true. But good luck with that Quixotic quest.

Was happy to see the Lincoln City permit. This is going to make coastal Oregon all the more accessible, which last I checked is a Good Thing. Unless of course it provides an economic hardship to Eastern Oregon by redirecting all of those tourist dollars.

Interesting to note that despite these obviously "coming very soon" Oregon coast superchargers, Tesla doesn't have gray "coming soon" dots in either spot, nor do they have "end of 2016" red dots there. Yet they persist in having a future supercharger dot in Seattle and have had it there off and on for a couple years now.

Oh, and in case my point isn't clear, no, there is not a supercharger in Seattle. :rolleyes::p

Last edited:
  • Funny
Interesting to note that despite these obviously "coming very soon" Oregon coast superchargers, Tesla doesn't have gray "coming soon" dots in either spot, nor do they have "end of 2016" red dots there. Yet they persist in having a future supercharger dot in Seattle. :rolleyes::p

Maybe the Seattle locations they're scouting keep getting bought by developers, razed, and new luxury condos built on the spots! :)

Interesting…

But I wish Tesla would get the 101 Superchargers in Eureka and Crescent City built first… With the CHAdeMO's on the OR coast, Superchargers are nice, but not quite as critical.

We'll be driving up the coast from AZ to BC in July -- so hoping both of these are open (and keeping my fingers crossed on NorCal -- although we already have at hotel reservation in Eureka so we can charge overnight…)

Dang, another outlet mall where Tesla owners will treat the charging stalls as extended parking spots.

I don't think it's going to be much of an issue because the shopping is pretty limited. For example Centralia doesn't have much of a problem with that. Woodburn is a little more problematic. If it does become a serious problem then I'm sure Tesla will send warning letters. They know exactly who is plugged in.

Personally I prefer an outlet mall supercharger over a hotel based supercharger. The hotel superchargers can be ICE'd the entire night.

Reactions: dfitz206
Interesting…

But I wish Tesla would get the 101 Superchargers in Eureka and Crescent City built first… With the CHAdeMO's on the OR coast, Superchargers are nice, but not quite as critical.

We'll be driving up the coast from AZ to BC in July -- so hoping both of these are open (and keeping my fingers crossed on NorCal -- although we already have at hotel reservation in Eureka so we can charge overnight…)

If I had to guess I would say it's not Tesla that's holding up those sites. They seem interested in getting these installed as soon as they can. Sometimes that's delayed by permitting/approval.

If I had to guess I would say it's not Tesla that's holding up those sites. They seem interested in getting these installed as soon as they can. Sometimes that's delayed by permitting/approval.

I know, I know… There were a couple similarly delayed Superchargers a couple years ago on our last big AZ-BC Road Trip. We had to spend 4.5 hours at a service center near Palm Springs to bridge one Supercharger gap back then. At least this time, we have a CHAdeMO adapter (didn't exist 2 years ago…), and our 2 stretches off the Supercharger Highway allow for either an overnight stay or a series of ~45 min charges while stopping at wineries in BC...

Reactions: Lyon
I agree with a lot of users here (including @Lyon ). Its nice to have a SC here, but not necessary over other areas (i.e. Burns and Klamath). I was just at Seaside a few weeks ago in my Model S, and I charged at the AV charger in Banks (US26). And it was easily accessible. But I am still excited that Tesla is still focusing on building out the network. So lets hope we get E. Oregon and Klamath in the future! :)

From Taft on the PDXTesla Google group today:

"Seaside Oregon Outlet mall Supercharger opens in 2 weeks!
Just booked a hotel in the area and the hotel told me about it. I called the mall and made the girl go outside and describe what they look like to verify.
Her exact description was "So they have 8 big white things that look kinda like a clean gas pump that say Tesla at the top. Next to it is a fenced in super voltage thing that took a couple of weeks to install. They are covered in plastic to keep them clean until they open"
I didn't even see a permit pulled for it......Did I miss something? She also said one was going south along the coast but did not know for sure where."

I did some digging and it looks like Clatsop County issued a permit to JJ Electric Service on May 31, 2016 for a "Car Charging station" at the correct address.

View attachment 183002

http://www.co.clatsop.or.us/sites/d.../building_codes/page/469/permits_may_2016.pdf

Very interesting.