Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sault Ste Marie, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
E33C5727-955C-4903-A510-26D9282BA3AB.jpeg
FB54F5A9-7F0B-4466-A5CA-8C3954C72634.jpeg
Mystery box
FB54F5A9-7F0B-4466-A5CA-8C3954C72634.jpeg

There are several J1772 chargers in Sault Ste. Marie - mostly at car dealerships. There's also apparently a Chademo in Spanish at a Scotiabank but that may be too far East for you.
Saw those but didn't know how friendly they'd be to Tesla owners and not sure about places to eat nearby etc. Looks like I may have a couple of hotel options but since I'm not staying in SSM area I'd have to see if they'd let me charge. If they had a restaurant at the hotel we would eat there as a 'thank you'. I'll continue to look at plugshare but thought I may get some insight on known places with good charging rates/speed. I have a 72A onboard charger. A couple months back it appears the SSM, ON supercharger was really on pace to be done soon. Guess not.

Saw those but didn't know how friendly they'd be to Tesla owners and not sure about places to eat nearby etc. Looks like I may have a couple of hotel options but since I'm not staying in SSM area I'd have to see if they'd let me charge. If they had a restaurant at the hotel we would eat there as a 'thank you'. I'll continue to look at plugshare but thought I may get some insight on known places with good charging rates/speed. I have a 72A onboard charger. A couple months back it appears the SSM, ON supercharger was really on pace to be done soon. Guess not.
The Delta hotel in SSM has a Sun Country CS90, 70 amp service, which I used about this time last year. They have a restaurant too. There's also a Sun Country 70 amp charger in Blind River at Pier Seventeen restaurant which I also used last year. Details of both are on Plugshare.

The Delta hotel in SSM has a Sun Country CS90, 70 amp service, which I used about this time last year. They have a restaurant too. There's also a Sun Country 70 amp charger in Blind River at Pier Seventeen restaurant which I also used last year. Details of both are on Plugshare.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking at the Hampton Inn as well which is slower (a lot) but has 4 plugs (3 parking spots?).
It can't just be me but it seems when traveling and NEEDing (vs would be nice) a charge that going to places that only have *one* charging plug that may be being used or maybe ICEd seems like a risky option causing an extra hour possible of time. Of course, thinking about it more it could be worth the risk if the slower charging options would just take that hour (for sure) up.

Yes, I think so too. The box is wet and tape separated and you can kinda see red plastic and black cables consistent with a Tesla charger. I’m wondering how many are in there and thinking it can’t be more than two or three

Agreed definitely a SC box.

Unless they move REAL fast I can't see how those would be ready and inspected for Thanksgiving (which was my hope), but at least they look like they should be ready to go fairly soon!

Thanks for checking it out!

Agreed definitely a SC box.

Unless they move REAL fast I can't see how those would be ready and inspected for Thanksgiving (which was my hope), but at least they look like they should be ready to go fairly soon!

Thanks for checking it out!
I'm praying for a Thanksgiving miracle too. Sounds like there may be a mini invasion of Teslas in the Soo over thanksgiving

Bet they are all installed by Wednesday evening or earlier. Doesn't take long to hook up as the cables are pulled.
No idea when they will get lit though.
It will be a long shot to get the pedestals on in all the areas that actually have the conduits and transformers in place before Thanksgiving in Canada (Oct. 14th).
I believe there are still three sites in Manitoba to get the cable pulled and equipment installed. That's not counting Winnipeg as only the transformer is there.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking at the Hampton Inn as well which is slower (a lot) but has 4 plugs (3 parking spots?).
It can't just be me but it seems when traveling and NEEDing (vs would be nice) a charge that going to places that only have *one* charging plug that may be being used or maybe ICEd seems like a risky option causing an extra hour possible of time. Of course, thinking about it more it could be worth the risk if the slower charging options would just take that hour (for sure) up.
I had a look back at my TeslaFi log for the trip from Sudbury to SSM - it was actually on Sunday 9/23/2018. We didn't see anyone else charging or wanting to charge on the drive - in fact I don't recall seeing another Tesla or any other EV that day at all, not even at the Sudbury Superchargers. Both of the Sun Country chargers mentioned delivered 69 amps; at Blind River it was 240 Volts; at SSM it was only 203 Volts. That equated to adding rated miles at 54mph in Blind River and 45mph in SSM in a Model S90D. At Blind River I didn't really need the charge and only stopped to test the charger. I charged for 14 mins and went from 56% to 61% adding 3.48 kW or 12.6 rated miles. At SSM I charged for 3hr54mins and went from 26% to 90% adding 50.58 kW or 177 rated miles [I was staying in the hotel].

Personally I would go for the faster charger - worst case you have to fall back to the Hampton Inn (although that does involve a border crossing). There is unlikely to be an ICEing issue at the Delta since the charger is not actually at a formal parking space, but alongside the building. See the photos on Plugshare for what I mean PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

• Love
Reactions: scottf200
I'm also driving from Minneapolis to Ottawa this week through SSM. I'm planning to stay at the Hampton overnight, but if you're trying to do the stretch as a single day drive, overnight is obviously not an option for you.

I'm also driving from Minneapolis to Ottawa this week through SSM. I'm planning to stay at the Hampton overnight, but if you're trying to do the stretch as a single day drive, overnight is obviously not an option for you.
Actually it is not really. Those two end-points I had in the graphic are my overnight stays at 360ish miles. I have reservations the rest of the multi-day trip around the lake(s) and to Niagara Falls, then west thru Michigan. Set vacation days.

0Au37xj.jpg

Reactions: JSergeant
I'll be going from Minneapolis to Montreal via that same route starting next Saturday. I made the same trip last year. I have the Chademo adapter, so I can use the charger in Spanish although it's only about 25 watts/72mph, and it has a well-deserved reputation for not being very reliable. Last year on the trip back it quit on me after about 10 minutes and I had to drive up to Elliot Lake and finish charging there.

On the trip out, I use the SunCountry chargers at the Delta Suite hotel in SSM and the Pier 17 restaurant in Blind River, as others have mentioned. And of course, the real trick is to watch your consumption and if it's too high, slow down. Knocking 5mph off the speed can give quite a boost in the range.

Ironically, I suspect it won't be too long after the SCs along that route are finished that the Canadian gov't sponsored chargers scheduled to go in will come online. By next summer, driving an EV along the TCH will be a cakewalk.

I did the Sudbury to ssm stretch in my S60 this summer.... Plan was to use the 35kw chademo at the Scotiabank in spanish, but a Bolt pulled in right before me and he was gonna be there for an hour and a half. So we went to Pier 17 restaurant for a meal and got some L2 charge. Slowed down to 70km/hr and was super efficient, I think around 150wh/km.

Reactions: scottf200