Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Clarita, CA (LIVE 6 Apr 2018, 24 V2 + 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving from Santa Barbara to Bakersfield a couple of weeks ago. When I left, the range said I would have 30 miles when I got to Santa Clarita, then at 7 miles out it said I had 10 miles left when the car shut down. I had it flat bedded to Santa Clarita and it would not S/C. The plug blinked green for about 5 seconds then stoped. The first towing company kept my screw jacks so I could not move it. Three more towing companies declined to tow because no jacks. All this took more than a week and many trips to the S/C in my ICE car from Santa Barbara. With no other choice, I hooked up a 1.4Kw Honda generator and baby sat it until I got 30 miles indicated. Still would not S/C. Flat bedded it back home (it did drive) charged overnight and all is 100% back to normal. Sorry to all there about this issue. I did meet some very nice people there and had many chats with them. Just one person left a note that said to move it, A/H. Oh well. At least everything turned out OK. I think I had a bad head wind. DON'T trust that range guage or let your car get too low. In spite of our little differences that week, I still love her! Merry Christmas:)
That is actually a great idea. I just bought a cheapo inverter generator with 1800 running watts. Its tiny and doesnt weigh too much. I think ill be storing it in my car on long trips as a just in case precaution

The car should have charged on the supercharger. In a loaner, had this experience and needed to plug and unplug from the supercharger three times and then started charging (was at 8 miles). A guy at the supercharger advised me on how to do this - so must be a common issue.
Also, many folks are reporting on cars shutting down when 10 percent or less - happened to me also and I looked up and found the threads. Note to all - don't wander below 10-15 percent, especially on the freeway when you may suddenly use more power and cause this event

I was driving from Santa Barbara to Bakersfield a couple of weeks ago. When I left, the range said I would have 30 miles when I got to Santa Clarita, then at 7 miles out it said I had 10 miles left when the car shut down. I had it flat bedded to Santa Clarita and it would not S/C. The plug blinked green for about 5 seconds then stoped. The first towing company kept my screw jacks so I could not move it. Three more towing companies declined to tow because no jacks. All this took more than a week and many trips to the S/C in my ICE car from Santa Barbara. With no other choice, I hooked up a 1.4Kw Honda generator and baby sat it until I got 30 miles indicated. Still would not S/C. Flat bedded it back home (it did drive) charged overnight and all is 100% back to normal. Sorry to all there about this issue. I did meet some very nice people there and had many chats with them. Just one person left a note that said to move it, A/H. Oh well. At least everything turned out OK. I think I had a bad head wind. DON'T trust that range guage or let your car get too low. In spite of our little differences that week, I still love her! Merry Christmas:)

Your ICE car is a Prius isn't it? I saw you one night. I remember thinking how odd it was and now I feel bad for not walking up to you and seeing if you need anything. That sounds like quite the ordeal. I'm glad your Model S is working properly now.

I called the phone number for Tesla supercharger support and the recording stated that they can sense issues with the superchargers. So I thought I should write this to document the issues I see for the rest of us. Firstly, the number of available stalls is inaccurately stated. I charged today and while the Tesla app and the car navigation indicated there were 12 available stalls, there were in fact 16 stalls available. None of them looked to be out if service; I walked through the stalls and looked. I have noticed this problem for a while but did nothing to confirm it until today.
Secondly, my Tesla is a dual motor M3 and with no one in the shared stall next to mine and with ~20% SOC, I have yet to find any stall in the past month from which I can charge at ~150 Kw. Today, the best I got was 126Kw, but that was the second one I tried. The first stall I tried, again with no one sharing from an adjacent stall, only provided ~69Kw. And that was after it 'roller coastered' a couple of times - 0 to ~69 to ~4 to ~69 to ~4 to 69, where it stayed until I unplugged a minute later. Many of the stalls topped out at 85-90Kw.
Tesla supercharging support must be spread very thinly or the superchargers are a very low priority for Tesla. Maybe their equipment is not sensing ALL of the issues. Or maybe my sense of what an issue is differs from theirs.
Any thoughts?

Can't comment on charging speed, but a SC could be down but you can't tell just by visual inspection. On my trip from SoCal to the Bay Area last month I stopped at two different SC's and plugged in only to get a Stopped Charging message. Just moved my car over a couple of stalls and charged fine.

Tesla is going to expand the supercharger, adding 8 new stalls. Almost certainly, they'll be V3 stalls. Building permit for the work was issued 2020-06-11.

Santa Clarita_expansion permit.JPG

Tesla is going to expand the supercharger, adding 8 new stalls. Almost certainly, they'll be V3 stalls. Building permit for the work was issued 2020-06-11.

View attachment 552772
Nice. I'd have to guess they're going to install these in the 8 stalls right next to the existing equipment enclosure? Looks like they may have a bit of room inside the enclosure where they already have conduit run for new SC cabinets on the south-west side?