Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Barbara, CA - Anacapa Street (LIVE 26 Jun 2023, 12 stalls + 3 L2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
City of Santa Barbara - Council Agenda Report - ... Execute an Agreement with Tesla (PDF)

What: Tesla is in negotiations to build a 12-stall supercharger + 3 universal L2 stations on the 2nd/3rd floors of the Ortega Parking Garage (City Lot 10) in downtown Santa Barbara.
Address: Lot 10 E Ortega St, Santa Barbara, CA 93101

GPS: 34.41927, -119.69715

Some additional notes: This location will be in a paid parking garage and people going there to charge will have to pay the normal parking fees to the garage in addition to any money that Tesla bills them for the actual charging. Currently the first 75 minutes are free then $1.50/hr after that. Also, as part of the work for the 12 superchargers and 3 universal L2 stations Tesla is installing, Tesla is also going to do the electrical service improvements needed so the city can later install up to 4 of their own universal DCFC stations (CHAdeMO/CCS). But those stations would be paid for, installed, operated, and maintained by the city or whatever company they contract with.

@Chuq @MarcoRP @corywright

WOW great find - wonderful to see that Santa Barbara is (finally) getting some love from Tesla!
I found the council agenda packet online ( View Meeting - OnBase Agenda Online ) as well as the EIGHT HOUR (!!!!!) Youtube video of the town council meeting (
) and while the agenda packet includes the Supercharger discussion, the actual video (linked above to the time stamp for the agenda) does not mention the supercharger and skimming through the video I could not find a discussion about it. I wonder if it was deferred to a future council meeting? Also no mention of it in the local media.

Great news nonetheless - thank you for finding this!

• Helpful
Reactions: MarcoRP
while the agenda packet includes the Supercharger discussion, the actual video (linked above to the time stamp for the agenda) does not mention the supercharger and skimming through the video I could not find a discussion about it.
The supercharger item was included in the consent calendar, so approved without any council discussion on it within the vote at 26:20. However, I'm not really sure what this vote accomplished. It either approved the project and authorized the public works director to execute the contract with Tesla OR it approved a resolution to do that being brought to the city council at a later meeting. For a vote giving full approval, I would expect the contract with Tesla to be included in the agenda packet. But who knows.

Last edited:
From what I read, it authorized the public works officer to execute a contract with Tesla... I didn't see that he or she would need to circle back to the council. Also interesting that it's on the "2nd and 3rd floors" of the garage when the roof looks so delightfully empty in the Google satellite view....

download (3).jpg

I went to go watch the recent SpaceX launch last night (first west coast Starlink batch) and was able to stop by the garage on my way through Santa Barbara. There was a section of 8-10 parking spaces on the ramp transitioning between the second and third floors that were blocked off with post cones and caution tape. But no indication of active work in the garage or supplies being staged for construction. Unfortunately, the pics I took are corrupted and won't open right now. If I can eventually figure out what's wrong with them, I'll upload. But there really wasn't anything to see. And definitely nothing explicitly pointing to the area being prepped for imminent supercharger construction.

Drove into the parking structure and took a look today. The exact same area is still blocked off almost a year later. Nothing new, nothing to report, and nothing has changed. Still think the rooftop is a better location for chargers though.
IMG_4019.jpg
IMG_4018.jpg