Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Rafael (permit not found, location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have home charging here so really don't ever plan to use the Marin infrastructure, but it does seem to be a glaring hole on the map, now slightly improved with Corte Madera and Marin City.
Marin is a glaring hole in the SuperCharger network. Especially for those of us who do not have home charging. I am holding out hope that the Target Store off of East Francisco could be a possibility. It seems Target Stores are the magnet for SuperChargers. Rohnert Park and Petaluma being local examples. It kills me to see SuC concentrations like the Tri-Valley and the Peninsula where they are almost on top of each other. Good news is the planned SuC in Richmond off of 580. A main artery in and out of Marin. Not sure what is driving the SuC planning. It is not like Marin has a shortage of Teslas!

Reactions: goldengate
Thanks @mociaf9 ... I know a fair number of people who work for San Rafael and they're all saying that Tesla hasn't approached them yet. Marin County has zero 150 kW superchargers. I have home charging here so really don't ever plan to use the Marin infrastructure, but it does seem to be a glaring hole on the map, now slightly improved with Corte Madera and Marin City. Surprised to hear that Marin City is not a 150 kW facility since it will be the last supercharger before hitting San Francisco which still has .... ZERO superchargers. I wonder what the rationale is for putting in urban vs. normal superchargers given it's next to an 8 lane highway that goes down to Southern California?
Marin County is a relatively urban area. People who are truly road tripping through the area will just charge in places like Petaluma, Gilroy and Manteca if they are just passing through the area and want a faster charge.

Marin County is a relatively urban area. People who are truly road tripping through the area will just charge in places like Petaluma, Gilroy and Manteca if they are just passing through the area and want a faster charge.
The demographic of Tesla owners has changed with the Model 3. No longer are SuCs for long distance travel. The younger millennial Model 3 owners are more likely to live in apartments and other arrangements where they don't have home charging. This thinking is evidenced by the fact that Tesla now charges for SuperCharging on Model 3s. Also the introduction of Urban SuCs. We look at the concentration of Superchargers in the South Bay, Peninsula and Tri-Valley, it goes beyond long distance charging.
It is really about how Tesla perceives the population and their requirements. I guess they think most people in Marin have home charging. Simply not the case.

The demographic of Tesla owners has changed with the Model 3. No longer are SuCs for long distance travel. The younger millennial Model 3 owners are more likely to live in apartments and other arrangements where they don't have home charging. This thinking is evidenced by the fact that Tesla now charges for SuperCharging on Model 3s. Also the introduction of Urban SuCs. We look at the concentration of Superchargers in the South Bay, Peninsula and Tri-Valley, it goes beyond long distance charging.
It is really about how Tesla perceives the population and their requirements. I guess they think most people in Marin have home charging. Simply not the case.
These are exactly the people the urban superchargers were designed for.

Reactions: Blu Zap