Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Rafael (permit not found, location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, it is on the map and scheduled for "end of 2017". I checked Marin County and San Rafael permit websites. Nothing there that I could find. I did see my permit for the home charger I installed in 2014. So feel I was in the right place.

Any info on this installation? I haven't seen anything and am looking all over!

I just searched the eTrakit site on the city of San Rafael's website for checking permits (eTRAKiT) and there is no permit pulled for the SC location at Target. The Tesla SC map showed a SC coming to Target San Rafael in "Summer 2018" which changed to "2018" which I'm sure will be changing to 2019. I visited the site and could not find evidence of a Supercharger being constructed. There are many Chargepoint chargers (free), however.

I just searched the eTrakit site on the city of San Rafael's website for checking permits (eTRAKiT) and there is no permit pulled for the SC location at Target. The Tesla SC map showed a SC coming to Target San Rafael in "Summer 2018" which changed to "2018" which I'm sure will be changing to 2019. I visited the site and could not find evidence of a Supercharger being constructed. There are many Chargepoint chargers (free), however.
I believe it says "Target 2018." This means they are hoping to open the supercharger in 2018 (they most certainly won't however). This does not necessarily mean that it will be at a Target store.

OK I am laughing at myself. You're right. However it's interesting that the two Marin locations -- Marin City and San Rafael -- are the two locations of Target stores in Marin. And Marin City is pretty much just the shopping center, so I would imagine a SC would go there. Easy on and easy off. Corte Madera SC is just about to open (different thread) so looks like Marin will finally have a SC. Ironically, the Corte Madera SC is not on the "coming soon" map.

Ya, thinking and hoping we will have a SuC at the new Target in Marin City. That is realistic.
I always thought the Corte Madera Town Center with the current Tesla Store would be a great SuC location. Easy on and off from 101. Just wish they would build them. The trek to Petaluma gets old.

Article in today's Marin IJ about the approval of the SuperCharger at Marin City mentions that a 24-station charger is in the works for 1600 Los Gamos Drive in San Rafael. With 24 stations I am guessing some of those might be Tesla, while others will be Chargepoint. I have reached out to the county for clarification and will update. A permit search yielded nothing.
https://www.marinij.com/2019/04/21/marin-city-center-to-add-electric-vehicle-chargers/

Article in today's Marin IJ about the approval of the SuperCharger at Marin City mentions that a 24-station charger is in the works for 1600 Los Gamos Drive in San Rafael. With 24 stations I am guessing some of those might be Tesla, while others will be Chargepoint. I have reached out to the county for clarification and will update. A permit search yielded nothing.
Marin City center to add electric-vehicle chargers – Marin Independent Journal
Based on the article language, IMO it doesn't sound like a supercharger but rather a station with a decent number of L2 EVCS. Of particular note was that it was described as being in partnership with PG&E.

Tesla has removed the San Rafael supercharger from their map, so I guess this is no longer planned.
I emailed the city planning manager who also contacted the city sustainability manager and they say there is no Tesla Supercharger currently planned for San Rafael.

That's a good guess. There was NOT a pin in the map for Corte Madera... though it's a maxxed out urban supercharger. Marin City should come online later this year and I think that will be a "real" Supercharger for lack of a better term.
Marin City will be an urban supercharger (72 kW) just like Corte Madera, only with a few more stalls. By '"real" supercharger', did you mean the traditional style (150 kW)? Because, based on the publicly available information, that's not happening for that location. Regardless, I don't see what connection Corte Madera being an urban supercharger has with it not having been pinned on Tesla's map prior to opening.

I wouldn't give up hope on San Rafael, yet. Wait a couple months to see if the pin comes back. Sometimes Tesla's pins disappear and reappear a little later. Tesla isn't at all rigorous about keeping that resource totally accurate or up to date. And sometimes when they're updating it, errors creep in, the wrong bits get removed and replaced, etc.

Thanks @mociaf9 ... I know a fair number of people who work for San Rafael and they're all saying that Tesla hasn't approached them yet. Marin County has zero 150 kW superchargers. I have home charging here so really don't ever plan to use the Marin infrastructure, but it does seem to be a glaring hole on the map, now slightly improved with Corte Madera and Marin City. Surprised to hear that Marin City is not a 150 kW facility since it will be the last supercharger before hitting San Francisco which still has .... ZERO superchargers. I wonder what the rationale is for putting in urban vs. normal superchargers given it's next to an 8 lane highway that goes down to Southern California?