Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Mateo, CA - Park Place (LIVE, 8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supercharger - San Mateo (under construction, location confirmed)

I emailed Tesla asking if they were going to post signs at the entrances to the parking lot to direct people down to the underground level.

Big surprise: their response to me, shown below, states that the Supercharger will be at the surface level, not underground! I have no idea where it will be located in the surface-level parking lot.
-----------------------
Date: Tuesday, May 19, 2015
Subject: San Mateo Supercharger

Dear Mr. Brisco,

Thank you for your email. Our station in San Mateo will not be in the parking garage – it will be on ground level, outside, so no directional signage will be necessary. There are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can. We understand the need for more Superchargers and we are excited to announce new sites on our website and in all Model S.

We appreciate your enthusiasm and support for Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thank you,

The Tesla Supercharger Team

Being so close, do you see any occasion that you may use it?

Just wondering because soon there will be one here on the Monterey Peninsula, and my wife and I discussed it but could think of no reason to use. Other than power outage at the house.

We frequent Gilroy and/or Fremont due to work requirements of occasional jogs to Oakland or Vallejo.

Has there been confirmation of the location of one in Monterey and if so, where (and when)?

The surface lot directly in front of Whole Foods is crowded, but how about the other end (circled in red)? I come here a lot, but always late at night, so I never see too many cars. And I always park downstairs by the Whole Foods elevator/stairs.

Capture.PNG

I'm actually heading up to S.F from L.A. this weekend. In the absence of Superchargers, I'd greatly appreciate any advice as to the best charging alternatives in the S.F area. Thanks!

Tesla service centers in Palo Alto and Milbrae next to SFO are good backups in a pinch. There are plenty of Level II chargers in SF, although most if not all of the ones I know of require paying for parking in a garage. Also a tip: If you don't have a front license plate, I'd recommend you park in a garage because you can get a ticket parking on the street in SF without the front license plate.

I've recently figured out that this is the area to park. I always park in that area "circled in red". The section closest to whole foods always has a space or two. I've never gone beyond that immediate area, but perhaps further back it is always unused.

This is not my standard Whole Foods, but I do go there say once every other month.

The surface lot directly in front of Whole Foods is crowded, but how about the other end (circled in red)? I come here a lot, but always late at night, so I never see too many cars. And I always park downstairs by the Whole Foods elevator/stairs.

Incredible progress! I did not see that construction activity when I was there last, probably because I entered the parking lot from Park Place and then went down the ramp to the lower level. My mistake for not checking out all the areas of the ground level parking lot!
That entire parking lot can be quite full during the week in the daytime. Those spots are going to get ICEed.

Other than that it is a great location, freeway close. I am amazed that Tesla was able to convince the landlord to lease out those prime spaces.

I am surprised that the email sent to me yesterday by the Tesla Supercharging team did not mention that construction was well underway.

Last edited:
I've been there mostly during the day and for some reason I have not seen many cars over in that area. My "not-so-secret" parking area is the section just a bit closer to Whole Foods. I have always found a space there during the day, and kind of remember never seeing much over where the superchargers are. But I have seen cars there.

That entire parking lot can be quite full during the week in the daytime. Those spots are going to get ICEed.

Other than that it is a great location, freeway close. I am amazed that Tesla was able to convince the landlord to lease out those prime spaces.

I am surprised that the email sent to me yesterday by the Tesla Supercharging team did not mention that construction was well underway.

I've been there mostly during the day and for some reason I have not seen many cars over in that area. My "not-so-secret" parking area is the section just a bit closer to Whole Foods. I have always found a space there during the day, and kind of remember never seeing much over where the superchargers are. But I have seen cars there.
For a few years I went to the Gold's Gym right next to that parking area (Gold's is no longer at that location). I would typically get there between 04:30 and 05:30PM and that area of the parking lot was always packed. Maybe it's no longer like that, but I anticipate problems.

We may get lucky on this one as far as a transformer is concerned. They may.... MAY.... already have the power supply necessary. I'll ask and look for a transformer pad site when I visit this site again, but from my own pictures I don't see a pad or pad spot (conduit for one etc.) The view from the upper garage level is good and a closer picture may bring into view a pad spot!?!? I asked if I could go in the building, up to the 3rd or 4th floor for pictures, but no.... Limited access only! I don't have a drone...yet!... so pictures from the second story parking lot will probably provide the best view. Tenants, when asked by the landlord what they'd like to enhance their (lease?) replied they'd like a supercharger! Voila! ..... Companies CEO's own some TMS's!!! ..... Nice landlord:)!!!!!!!!