Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Redondo Beach (LIVE 20 Jan 2015, 8 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I never really saw this supercharger with a line. I think people avoided it but when Hawthorne was temp closed it was a mad house. If I see people waiting, I know one of the chargers is broken. Most owners will try at least once. I think calling Tesla support and have them mark the stalls in use is way better than cones though. Because at least it will deter people from trying to go to the location.

Hopefully they get some urban superchargers nearby soon so the Redondo/Hawthorne superchargers will get some relief. Maybe the Culver City one too if it is north enough.

I am really looking forward to way more urban superchargers being deployed versus V1. They are great for traveling locations but the waits and time to charge makes it way better to just charge at home if you can. If you can't....that has to be very tough.

I do hope they get another location in the area soon.

The Culver City was crazy impacted a few weeks ago I was there due to the closure of the SC by Space Center. Not sure if that is better now. But with this Redondo being close, I suspect Culver City will be worst for that duration.

I went to pick up my wife from LAX last night and thought to drop by the Redondo Beach SuC while I wait for her plane to land/taxi/deplane/get to the curb. I kept an eye on the stall availability through the Tesla trip planner while I drove up the 405. By the time I got to the lot the one available stall was taken. So I waited about 4 minutes before realizing there are 12 urban chargers (6 available) in Manhattan Beach less than 2 miles away so I made my way over there. I'm glad there were options. I just can't believe this was on the site of the old Malibu Castle Mini Golf Center. I use to dream about going there as a kid, but the parents always said no :)

I revisited Redondo Beach at 6:30am today on my pick up my sister-in-law at LAX in our 2019 MS75D loaner. Oddly the trip-planner said there were 4 of 8 stalls available throughout the 40 minute drive there, but it was completely empty when I arrived (it showed 3 of 8 when I plugged in). I saw some of the fastest charging speeds and lamented that our old S85 use to be this good prior to the June 2019 software updates. I went from 18% SOC to 90% in 45 minutes. That would have taken anywhere from 1.5-3hrs in our 85.

I'm not sure if there something wrong with the trip-planner data or something wrong with the stall feedback, but I thought it was odd that the availability status would be so off.

I revisited Redondo Beach at 6:30am today on my pick up my sister-in-law at LAX in our 2019 MS75D loaner. Oddly the trip-planner said there were 4 of 8 stalls available throughout the 40 minute drive there, but it was completely empty when I arrived (it showed 3 of 8 when I plugged in). I saw some of the fastest charging speeds and lamented that our old S85 use to be this good prior to the June 2019 software updates. I went from 18% SOC to 90% in 45 minutes. That would have taken anywhere from 1.5-3hrs in our 85.

I'm not sure if there something wrong with the trip-planner data or something wrong with the stall feedback, but I thought it was odd that the availability status would be so off.

I'm learning to not rely on the Navigation/Trip Planner to tell me how many stalls are available. In the last several weeks of commuting 140 miles each way, it has been wildly off.