Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Supercharger - Portage la Prairie MB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wasn't there last week... They said they're just doing the civil work. No hint of equipment yet.
Portage4.jpg

Portage3.jpg
portage2.jpg
Portage1.jpg

Good find! It’s only logical that they’d start building in Portage since Brandon seems to have just been built, so it makes sense they they would move on. If it would be possible to ask them where they will be heading next or where they headed so that we could know if they are heading towards Winnipeg (where there is no actual permit so it seems) or to Prawda, or even Emerson (north of the border).

(@Doug_G to change the thread title please)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good find! It’s only logical that they’d start building in Portage since Brandon seems to have just been built, so it makes sense they they would move on. If it would be possible to ask them where they will be heading next or where they headed so that we could know if they are heading towards Winnipeg (where there is no actual permit so it seems) or to Prawda, or even Emerson (north of the border).

(@Doug_G to change the thread title please)

They didn't seem to want to answer these questions - saying they weren't told anything, plans were proprietary and everything seems to be secret, etc. They did admit they were the ones that did the Brandon install.

If you google the trailer name, they are out of Prince Albert, which might indicate more Saskatchewan work to be done?

Also - the sites are piling up - there's what, 5 on the TCH in Ontario (and the SSM crew mentioned moving on to Wawa) 2 in Manitoba and 2 in Saskatchewan - all appear to be V3 chargers, all pretty much bases poured and ready or well on the way, but no equipment at any of them yet.

Last edited:
Brandon, MB

Along National Highways: I-TCH/MB-1

TCH/MB-1:
To: Winnipeg, MB (Permit) - 86.1 km
Diversion: 2.6 km
To: Prawda, MB (Permit) - 205.7 km

To: Sudbury, ON - 1775.4km

The numbers to Open Superchargers are large, but the numbers to Permit and Construction are getting smaller.

Reactions: mociaf9
I wonder when the Trans-Canada crossing will be possible with a Tesla or any EV?
It already is if you consider the Sun Country Highway chargers ;)

To friends who live in Winnipeg: There are couple of Canadian Tires (3615 Portage & 1519 Regent Ave) that have ChadeMo chargers. Do you know if they are up and running? Thanks.
They aren’t online. Canadian Tire promised this branch to be complete by the end of the year, except that we don’t when construction is slated to begin

• Informative
Reactions: JSergeant
>> I wonder when the Trans-Canada crossing will be possible with a Tesla or any EV?

It’s possible now. It’ll just take awhile ;)
It already is if you consider the Sun Country Highway chargers ;)

They aren’t online. Canadian Tire promised this branch to be complete by the end of the year,
except that we don’t when construction is slated to begin

Thank you for the information: Sun Country Highway map.

I would recommend looking at: Mary Ann's Electric Drive from British Columbia to Newfoundland.

https://www.maryannselectricdrive.com/

Harvey Soicher Polarsteps

Facebook: Mary Ann's Electric Drive

img_3153_e76da94560a3ef54a86c195c37334a79c369a4fc.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JSergeant
Did you published your itinerary and chargers used?

I'm particularly interested visiting Banff National Park next month.
Do you have any charging recommendations

Being in Calgary, I can assure you once you get here, there are plenty of superchargers for anything north, south or west of here. Just east to Manitoba is rough.

Use PlugShare to plan your trip. Look for 70+ amps at 240 volt.

Lloyd in Swift Current is a great guy and definitely worth visiting. He has a fast charger and an huge solar array.

There’s Chademo in Med Hat if you have or can borrow an adapter.

Four Way Motors in MacGregor are great guys with a great charger.

It’s a fun trip, you’ll meet some fantastic people which won’t happen with Superchargers. You’ll see neat towns, and it’s a great experience. Like drives along Route 66, people will remember these trips with a nostalgia that will not happen with interstates or Superchargers. Enjoy the destination, but also the trip.

Wow I’m old. Doesn’t make me wrong.

With a Model 3, how much of a charge rate are you going to get except at a Tesla charger? What's the upper limit for a J1772 plug?
Since last update, 2010.24.4 you can now use ChameDo 50 kw if you have an adapter.

Otherwise with J1772 it's about 7kWh, so basically like charging at home.
Not a super charger but fine if you stay overnight, or leave your car charging while touring around.

Last edited:
32A/240V gives me 47km/hr so presumably the max 48A would give me 70m/h. On Plugshare, the only Chademo currently live between Winnipeg and Calgary is Medicine Hat. So presumably there would be a lot of charging time between Winnipeg and Calgary. Lots of promise, but the current Supercharger base construction is the closest we seem to be to actual charger installations.

However, there's the promise of a lot more installations both toward Calgary and toward Edmonton. Not sure why PlugShare shows a lot of PetroCanada fast chargers "coming soon" but none of the Tesla superchargers already under construction.