Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Port Orange, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think there is some sort of slow charging issue at the Port Orange, FL Supercharger. We drove our Model X up from Miami to NY in mid-June and back to Miami this week. On the way up and down, I experienced terrible charging speeds and voltage at Port Orange. I reported it to Tesla by calling the 800 number in June and once again yesterday. At no other station from Miami to NY was there consistently poor charging speed like in Port Orange.

I arrived yesterday with 3 miles in the tank and tried every single station to see if there was one good stall, but the fastest any of them charged in 1 hour and 20 minutes was 61kW. I was the only one charging there each time I visited.

If someone has any pull with Tesla (@Larry Chanin ?) would you please point out this huge gap in the I-95 corridor in Central Florida? In a Model X P90D, which only gets about 200 miles of realistic range at highway speed, St. Augustine isn't reachable from Port St. Lucie unless you stop in Port Orange.

I've seen issues with Sc in FL & Ga and found Port Orange slow June '16 but "With only 3 miles in the tank" your vehicle would naturally slow charge. It's been reported to me by Tesla (and there are several blogs about it) that anything less 10% can lead to slow charging. At three miles you were definitely throttled.

Reactions: ohmman
Thanks @X Fan but im talking about the entire visit and not just at the start of the charging session. I've been to 56 Superchargers according to TezLab. Throttling until 10% is to be expected. I've also had discussions with Tesla about why the Model X rate of charge is restricted at its peak to about 75-80% of full capacity since I thought our X had problems when compared to our old Model S supercharging speed.

If someone has any pull with Tesla (@Larry Chanin ?) would you please point out this huge gap in the I-95 corridor in Central Florida? In a Model X P90D, which only gets about 200 miles of realistic range at highway speed, St. Augustine isn't reachable from Port St. Lucie unless you stop in Port Orange.

Thankfully, the Melbourne, FL Supercharger which already has its permit will address this.

I don't Supercharge very much -maybe 2 dozen times in the last year and I have fully charged the battery only a couple of time in the life of my Model X.

All my recent Supercharge sessions have been very slow, with with rates as low as 38 KWH's when battery is at around 30 %. During these session the rate might go to 100 KWH's then quickly drop. A couple of years ago my S85 did not have these problems. I believe that Tesla is limiting the Supercharging rate on purpose since about the first of this year!

I've had "check power" warnings and "charging interrupted" warnings at Port Orange. Location is great.... But I agree something is off with those chargers.

I really wasn't aware of varying charging rates when I went there but lately I've been paying more closely to this and I'm finding very inconsistent supercharging rates which is really annoying.

I jumped from 3 different chargers at the WPB charger last night and got rates all over the map. From 50-110kW. Super annoying. I had nobody on my pair of chargers.

If you arrive at any Supercharger with only 3 miles in the tank, you will get a pretty slow initial charge, until your battery gets up to about 10%. Then it will charge faster untill you get to around 90%, then it will also slow down to fully top off the charge.

Batteries charge fastest between 20-80%

I arrived yesterday with 3 miles in the tank and tried every single station to see if there was one good stall, but the fastest any of them charged in 1 hour and 20 minutes was 61kW. I was the only one charging there each time I visited.

I've seen issues with Sc in FL & Ga and found Port Orange slow June '16 but "With only 3 miles in the tank" your vehicle would naturally slow charge. It's been reported to me by Tesla (and there are several blogs about it) that anything less 10% can lead to slow charging. At three miles you were definitely throttled.

Thanks @X Fan but im talking about the entire visit and not just at the start of the charging session. I've been to 56 Superchargers according to TezLab. Throttling until 10% is to be expected. I've also had discussions with Tesla about why the Model X rate of charge is restricted at its peak to about 75-80% of full capacity since I thought our X had problems when compared to our old Model S supercharging speed.

If you arrive at any Supercharger with only 3 miles in the tank, you will get a pretty slow initial charge, until your battery gets up to about 10%. Then it will charge faster untill you get to around 90%, then it will also slow down to fully top off the charge.

Batteries charge fastest between 20-80%

The point that Ethan aka DJ Frustration is making is that he never exceeded 61 kW for his entire charging session. That would have taken him beyond the 10% minimum where charging rate would be limited. During that complete charging session normally he should have approached a charging rate of around 120 kW unless the August heat was the cause for limiting the charge rate.

Larry

image.jpeg
Stopped at Port Orange to charge 2 different times found 1b not working correctly but found the other half worked fine 1a.

Takara has great service and fresh sushi. The Manager Mark said for those that show the Tesla key fob will get an extra treat.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    570.4 KB · Views: 62
I was at the Port Orange SC Saturday and had to switch 3 times to find a stall delivering over 25 kw, i finally got a little over 55 kw.

My charge was at about 25% when i pulled in. Luckily, I was going to New Smyrna Beach and only needed a little topping off in case I couldn't charge at the house at which we were staying.