Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Plantation, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a few locations within Plantation city limits that are reasonably convenient to I-75, I-95, I-595, and the turnpike. As aviators99 mentioned, they're along University Dr just north of 595 -- including Broward Mall, The Fountains (Kohl's, Marshalls, etc.), Barnes & Noble, Whole Foods, and Publix. In fact, 595/University seems like a decent halfway point between I-95 and I-75 -- although not necessarily ideal for either one.

I'd say the most convenient for I-95 travel would be a smaller shopping center like the ones at the intersection of Route 7/441 and Broward Blvd, but that would require I-75 travelers to go pretty far out of their way. And there's some big-box retail on Sunrise Blvd just east of Sawgrass Mills, that's technically in Plantation, but I'm not so sure it would make sense to place a supercharger in any of those parking lots, and then you're pretty far from I-95.

You can see the Plantation city limits by doing a search on Google Maps for Plantation FL. It shows up as a red or white dotted line, depending on zoom level and map vs. satellite view. I know the area because I have family in Sunrise and Ft. Lauderdale, although I admit I wasn't familiar with precise city limits till I Googled... :)

I agree the Broward Mall/595 & University area would be a good compromise for I-75, turnpike, I-95, and I-595. Pretty much right in the middle.

If you're coming down I-95 and going to Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, or Miami, Sawgrass Mills is a terrible location. And there are a lot more people doing that than going to the Keys. Even the Broward Mall area would be out of the way.

I also didn't realize how far west Plantation went until I looked at it yesterday. That puts the "it's going to be in Plantation" rumor in a new light.

I agree the Broward Mall/595 & University area would be a good compromise for I-75, turnpike, I-95, and I-595. Pretty much right in the middle.

If you're coming down I-95 and going to Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, or Miami, Sawgrass Mills is a terrible location. And there are a lot more people doing that than going to the Keys. Even the Broward Mall area would be out of the way.

I also didn't realize how far west Plantation went until I looked at it yesterday. That puts the "it's going to be in Plantation" rumor in a new light.

If Ft Lauderdale or Miami is the final destination from the north, then Port St Lucie, which is only 120 miles from Miami, could be your last supercharger stop before transitioning to destination charging (as intended). With that premise, the "Miami" supercharger should be located to support the best route to the Keys, IMHO.

If Ft Lauderdale or Miami is the final destination from the north, then Port St Lucie, which is only 120 miles from Miami, could be your last supercharger stop before transitioning to destination charging (as intended). With that premise, the "Miami" supercharger should be located to support the best route to the Keys, IMHO.

The best place to put SC in my opinion is either Stirling road exit or Sheridan exit on the '95... they both have the «Tesla SC amenities type» like hotels, well known restaurants and retail stores (especially for the Stirling one)

Last edited:
IMHO, it should be placed at the Dolphin Mall, west of the Miami Airport. It is just off the Florida Turnpike extension and very close to SR836. (The east-west expressway to downtown Miami & the beaches) the Dolphin Mall is approx 120 miles to Port St Lucie and 154 miles to Key West. Travelers coming south to the Keys normally switch from I95 to the turnpike extension at the Miami-Dade/Broward line, bypassing the downtown Miami traffic. The turnpike extension dumps you onto US1 south of Homestead.

IMHO, it should be placed at the Dolphin Mall, west of the Miami Airport. It is just off the Florida Turnpike extension and very close to SR836. (The east-west expressway to downtown Miami & the beaches) the Dolphin Mall is approx 120 miles to Port St Lucie and 154 miles to Key West. Travelers coming south to the Keys normally switch from I95 to the turnpike extension at the Miami-Dade/Broward line, bypassing the downtown Miami traffic. The turnpike extension dumps you onto US1 south of Homestead.

This would be another good location for people going to the Keys (which is what I think this Supercharger should be for).

- - - Updated - - -

There may be many better locations, but my reliable source tells me the decision has been made and it's Plantation. If that is correct, the only question now is where the Supercharger will go in Plantation.

I actually think this is the best location. As I mentioned above, those going to the Keys should not be on 95, so they will need to pass through this area anyway. The benefit to the Dolphin mall is that there is more parking. The benefit to Plantation is that it has the bonus of being able to help out those going to/from Miami/Ft. Lauderdale as well (although I don't necessarily agree that this should be taken into account).

This would be another good location for people going to the Keys (which is what I think this Supercharger should be for).

- - - Updated - - -

I actually think this is the best location. As I mentioned above, those going to the Keys should not be on 95, so they will need to pass through this area anyway. The benefit to the Dolphin mall is that there is more parking. The benefit to Plantation is that it has the bonus of being able to help out those going to/from Miami/Ft. Lauderdale as well (although I don't necessarily agree that this should be taken into account).
Hi Ron,

Thanks for your insights.
In your opinion are there any good locations in Weston?

Larry

If we're looking at a map and routing to determine an "ideal" location for supercharging on the way to the Keys, I'd suggest Southland Mall or the near the Florida Keys Outlet Center. It really looks like you need to pass by both of those to get between the Keys and points in and north of Miami, pretty much no matter what route you take from/through/around Miami. Southland Mall appears to have quite a few dining options on-site. I can't tell if the outlet mall itself has anything decent, although there are other retail areas just to the north on Route 1 that might be good.

Southland Mall is roughly the halfway point mileage-wise, ~130 to Port St Lucie and ~140 to Key West. The outlet mall is similar, ~155 to PSL and ~125 to Key West. Either area appears to be far enough from the city center that it wouldn't get too many locals charging, whereas Plantation very well might.

I suspect (and hope) that in the fullness of time, Tesla will build a supercharger in one of those two areas, and/or perhaps on one of the Keys themselves -- even after the Plantation one is built.

If we're looking at a map and routing to determine an "ideal" location for supercharging on the way to the Keys, I'd suggest Southland Mall or the near the Florida Keys Outlet Center. It really looks like you need to pass by both of those to get between the Keys and points in and north of Miami, pretty much no matter what route you take from/through/around Miami. Southland Mall appears to have quite a few dining options on-site. I can't tell if the outlet mall itself has anything decent, although there are other retail areas just to the north on Route 1 that might be good.

Southland Mall is roughly the halfway point mileage-wise, ~130 to Port St Lucie and ~140 to Key West. The outlet mall is similar, ~155 to PSL and ~125 to Key West. Either area appears to be far enough from the city center that it wouldn't get too many locals charging, whereas Plantation very well might.

I suspect (and hope) that in the fullness of time, Tesla will build a supercharger in one of those two areas, and/or perhaps on one of the Keys themselves -- even after the Plantation one is built.

I think to make travel to the keys possible they're going to have to put one in the keys as well. I thought I remember reading somewhere a rumor of one being put in Marathon. That would be an ideal location being about half-way.

I used to live 2 blocks from the Sawgrass Mills Mall in Sunrise and I'm also the owner of a EV installation charging company in the South Florida region. I approached the group that manages the Sawgrass Mills Mall and they were not ready to have any chargers at that time. Hopefully, they will have a change in mind soon.

There may be many better locations, but my reliable source tells me the decision has been made and it's Plantation. If that is correct, the only question now is where the Supercharger will go in Plantation.

I have spoken with an extremely credible source. It is true that Tesla is in conversations with the city of Plantation to install a Supercharger Station. If approved by the City Council the station would go in The Fountains Shopping Mall. Serious discussions are not likely to happen before next month. The application would probably require a parking waiver and special exceptions. There is a 5 person City Council that will determine the ultimate fate of the project. Word has it that three may be leaning toward approval. There may also be public hearings. In which case I would contact our club members that live in Plantation to attend and speak on behalf of approving the Supercharger application.

The Fountains

The Fountains Shopping Mall location.jpg

Larry

Last edited: