Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Palm Springs, CA (LIVE 19 Jun 2019, 11 urban + 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The City engineers are investigating whether the street over the parking garage has a structural defect. They asked Tesla to shut down the chargers. They told me their work could take months. Call this guy at the City and complain. 760 322-8339. When I spoke to him he sounded totally oblivious about the Superchargers.
What are you complaining about? Shouldn't you be thanking him?

I have spoken to the responsible person at city hall. It’s obvious he’s clueless about charging EV’s. Closing off the entire section where the Tesla chargers are was a gross over reaction. The street in question is nowhere near the chargers. Typical bureaucratic CYA. Left up to this guy might be years before he wakes up.

Reactions: ScottRoberts33
The Agenda packet from the 2018-09-20 council meeting (PDF warning) contains the agreement between the city and Tesla with the explicit details on the future site. Summary:

While that makes it sound like 24 superchargers are immediately going to be installed, the agreement is actually structured to have 2 phases. The initial deployment will be 11 stalls (including ADA compliant). And then if and when a certain threshold of usage is met (2000 charging sessions/month) for 3 consecutive months, Tesla is authorized to install, should they so choose, the second phase of 13 stalls (including another ADA compliant). The packet also contains the site plan, a screencap of which I've linked below. Note, the superchargers are going to be installed in the underground section of the parking structures, with the first phase being the line of stalls which run North to South.
Tesla is soon going to be expanding this site to the full 24 stalls that were originally approved (see the above quoted comment for info on the original agreement). They applied to the city for a minor plan change from the original full layout in January 2021, so I would expect the expansion to take place some time later this year. See the city staff report (PDF) for full details on the change. They'll still be around the corner from the already existing set of superchargers:

1618175823148.png

Last edited:
Charged here - the stalls are all working, and expansion is underway!
A few notes for folks like me coming in from out of town, as the stalls can be hard to find, and the Nav says they are on the 6th floor (it's underground actually, on the first floor underground, which is labeled at 6). I saw a bunch of Tesla's circling above the GPS marker for the stalls, totally lost.
  • easiest way to enter the lot in my humble opinion is to navigate to the Hyatt Palm Springs (on N Palm Canyon Dr), and in front is a sign and subterranean entrance labeled "Free Public Parking". Just go town the ramp, make a right, and the chargers are there.
  • Alternatively, you can enter from the back of the lot on N Museum Dr, take the ramp down, make a bunch of turns while following the signs with "Tesla" on them.
EXPANSION: construction is underway on additional stalls just around the corner as noted above. There appear to be 3 V3 cabinets and 1 V2 cabinet (? should be able to add one more urban charger without a cabinet.). So, likely 12 V3 stalls coming with 1 more urban charger to get to 24.

Attachments

• 102FA761-9813-4BB7-B1B9-7AA5C671A61A.jpeg
    102FA761-9813-4BB7-B1B9-7AA5C671A61A.jpeg
    419.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 36B0BBD1-7F69-4484-8619-704564C3A4FD.jpeg
    36B0BBD1-7F69-4484-8619-704564C3A4FD.jpeg
    268.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 0D2EFB93-B178-4558-B791-65C099E2ECFB.jpeg
    0D2EFB93-B178-4558-B791-65C099E2ECFB.jpeg
    539.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 272177DE-9A43-4793-87CB-A94F0D9EE09B.jpeg
    272177DE-9A43-4793-87CB-A94F0D9EE09B.jpeg
    407.5 KB · Views: 68
Is this the indoor one (duh) that is near the high end mall area, with the Steakhouse and stuff like that?
I believe it is in the same parking structure where the the original ones are located but closer to the entrance. My wife was there couple weeks ago and when she got there she saw they were still in construction. She thought those are the only ones there until she drove in a bit and saw the working ones. It gave her a scare because she does not have enough juice to make it to Cabazon.

I believe it is in the same parking structure where the the original ones are located but closer to the entrance. My wife was there couple weeks ago and when she got there she saw they were still in construction. She thought those are the only ones there until she drove in a bit and saw the working ones. It gave her a scare because she does not have enough juice to make it to Cabazon.
We’ll, around Palm Springs there is always the big outdoor SC station in the parking lot at that outdoor mall on the west side of town. Unless it was moved?

I guess it’s called Rancho Mirage..but much closer than the Cabazon one.

Last edited:
We’ll, around Palm Springs there is always the big outdoor SC station in the parking lot at that outdoor mall on the west side of town. Unless it was moved?

I guess it’s called Rancho Mirage..but much closer than the Cabazon one.
Thats Cabazon outlet malls Supercharger, about 15 miles west of Plam springs on I 10.

This one is in Palm Springs city lower level of a parking garage. The addtional chargers are just around the corenr from the Current Urban78 KW Chargers

Thats Cabazon outlet malls Supercharger, about 15 miles west of Plam springs on I 10.

This one is in Palm Springs city lower level of a parking garage. The addtional chargers are just around the corenr from the Current Urban78 KW Chargers
No, the one I’m talking about is the big on in Rancho Mirage.. NOT the one in Cabazon. Might as well be called Palm Springs west. So, you don’t have to drive all the way to Cabazon (indeed more like 33 MILES west of this one in Rancho Mirage - Palm Springs West) so it’s relatively pretty close to the new Palm Springs location, or the Destination Chargers at that mall downtown, or the “Palm Springs” one just north on I-10 from ? Eisenhower ?