Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Olema, CA (LIVE 16 Aug 2023, 6 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was just there. To me it seems that the parking lot modifications and Tesla side construction were completed a few months ago, and we're waiting for the transformer to be installed. Also not sure how the power will be supplied to the transformer.

In post #34 in this thread, there are photos of the power cabinetry, and today it looks the same as that.

With the transformer on a pad, the power will come from somewhere underground. It looks like there is a powerline running above teh entrance to the lot and they will add a power pole to bring the line down and underground. There should be trenching from the new transformer pad to a point below the existing power lines. You can see the existing overhaed electric lines (OE) on the drawing below along with the proposed utility pole near the accessible stalls and the proposed underground conduit (P) to the transformer pad.

1672198680183.png

• Informative
Reactions: DoItDiff
we're waiting for the transformer to be installed. Also not sure how the power will be supplied to the transformer.

With the transformer on a pad, the power will come from somewhere underground. It looks like there is a powerline running above teh entrance to the lot and they will add a power pole to bring the line down and underground. There should be trenching from the new transformer pad to a point below the existing power lines. You can see the existing overhaed electric lines (OE) on the drawing below along with the proposed utility pole near the accessible stalls and the proposed underground conduit (P) to the transformer pad.

When comparing the older Google map and the new one, it seems that a pink temporary survey marking has been planted.

I suspect that this indicates the location of a buried corrugated pipe going all the way to the transformer,
and it seems that a tranch has recently been covered using light colored dirt.

2023 03 19 - Tesla Supercharger - Olema, CA  - Google Street View 3.jpg

2023 03 19 - Tesla Supercharger - Olema, CA  - Google Street View 5.jpg

Hello all, this thread has been very informative. I was wondering if anyone knows if this supercharger location has been opened yet?
We have a family trip to Inverness coming up early June and the availability of this supercharger will allow me to take my Tesla otherwise I am stuck taking my gas guzzler. 🙁

Hello all, this thread has been very informative. I was wondering if anyone knows if this supercharger location has been opened yet?
We have a family trip to Inverness coming up early June and the availability of this supercharger will allow me to take my Tesla otherwise I am stuck taking my gas guzzler. 🙁

Welcome to TMC!

If you don't see a message here and you don't see the Supercharger in the mobile app or in-car navigation, then probably not. Note there are quite a few Superchargers in the north bay area, so even if Olema isn't open yet you could always charge at Marin City, Corta Madera, Greenbrae, or San Rafael.

Also , you don't need to charge close to your destination, just takes a little planning. (I used to do some road trips where the closest Supercharger was about 80 miles from where I was going.)

You might find the Road Trips forum helpful, as well:

Bruce.

I was by not too long ago and unfortunately there is still no evidence that PG&E has done anything. There is no transformer and I did not see a new telephone pole to facilitate connecting the overhead distribution lines to the transformer.

Looking at Tesla's map it seems the closest superchargers are Novato and Petaluma. Those would not be convenient for charging up while you are there (they are about 20 miles from Olema), but could be used on your way to Inverness and then on your way out.

Hope you have a good trip!

How much driving are you planning on doing around Inverness/Pt Reyes? ABRP shows only 9% battery use from Novato SuperCharger to Inverness (ignore that this screenshot shows using EA). Even allowing for 15% there and 15% back, and leaving Novato at 90%, that’s 50% of your battery (LR MY). On a SR+ M3, it’s 12% instead of 9% so you have more like 40% of the battery available. That’s still 75+ miles of driving. If the charger at Olema was active, it would save you 8% each way. If you’re planning on a lot of side trips during your stay then it would be an issue.

1683900065719.png

How much driving are you planning on doing around Inverness/Pt Reyes? ABRP shows only 9% battery use from Novato SuperCharger to Inverness (ignore that this screenshot shows using EA). Even allowing for 15% there and 15% back, and leaving Novato at 90%, that’s 50% of your battery (LR MY). On a SR+ M3, it’s 12% instead of 9% so you have more like 40% of the battery available. That’s still 75+ miles of driving. If the charger at Olema was active, it would save you 8% each way. If you’re planning on a lot of side trips during your stay then it would be an issue.

View attachment 937002
I think you are right. It may not be an issue. Still haven’t gotten comfortable with range anxiety. 😀

Reactions: Mrbrock and bmah
I think you are right. It may not be an issue. Still haven’t gotten comfortable with range anxiety. 😀
Another option is to use a local destination charger. I stayed at the Tomales Bay Resort near Inverness. They have three chargers, so presto, fully charged in the morning! Here is a link to the Tesla website. (Not sure if this link will work, but worth a try.) Find Us | Tesla

Reactions: sunnnv
I went on a camping trip at Salt Point State Park in April, and I took Highway 1 from the Marin City charger. I still had > 60% by the time I got there, and continued to Anderson Valley after the camping trip before making my way to a supercharger in Santa Rosa with about 15%. (I did get about 10% at the Anderson Valley Brewery's free charger.) This was quite a circuitous route, but the car's prediction of the charge I would arrive with in Santa Rosa was fairly accurate, even with my spirited driving. I had been hoping that the Olema supercharger would be open, since it's closer to my destination that the Marin City and would have left me with more in the battery, but it was fine.

I think you'll be fine going to Point Reyes from Marin City or Novato, even if you drive around quite a bit at the park.

Well, I think we may be almost there.

The transformer seems to have been installed, and there's a new telephone pole that's tapping power from the distribution lines.

The ADA space has some new portable toilets. They're perfectly positioned so that when a car pulls in to charge, it will block the toilet doors and people will get trapped inside the porta potties.

Wonder how much longer now?

Attachments

• transformer.jpg
    transformer.jpg
    612 KB · Views: 193
  • TPole2.jpg
    TPole2.jpg
    552.9 KB · Views: 77
  • TPole1.jpg
    TPole1.jpg
    752.9 KB · Views: 76
  • ADA.jpg