Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Norfolk, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434392306.540504.jpg

Stopped by the Norfolk Supercharger site today while driving back from OBX. There was a crew pouring concrete at the end of an island about 100 yards south of the proposed Supercharger spot. I talked to someone who looked like a supervisor who said the concrete pad was to move the bus stop which is currently at the end of the island by where the Superchargers are going. Moving the bus stop has to occur before construction can begin on the Superchargers. No timeframe was given.

Lanny

Hey Lanny good to talk to you again from TN. GOOD NEWS for you. I talked to the SC crew in Nashville today and they will be finished next week with a proposed turn on date of 6-30. They said their next job is Norfolk!! These guys move fast so I think you will see them in 2 weeks.

On-site walk through yesterday to schedule up all parties. Construction started today for (6) bay with 3-4 week "delivery".

image.jpg

btw, i had a 30 sec. conversation with the HMIC at Panera about the super being installed (he was unaware) and he seemed enthusiast

Last edited:
Looks like this will be completed about 2 weeks late for my OBX trip. How are the chademos in the area? I think I'll be using the one @ Nissan of Norfolk.

Same here. Looks like we'll take the Forrester ... though I probably could make the 220 miles from Salisbury to Corolla given the traffic speeds and warm temps. Would mean a range charge in Salisbury, though, which takes quite a while.

You can tell I'm spoiled. In Fall 2013 I was so happy to be able to supercharge that needing a range charge in both Glen Allen and Burlington wasn't an issue at all.

Same here. Looks like we'll take the Forrester ... though I probably could make the 220 miles from Salisbury to Corolla given the traffic speeds and warm temps. Would mean a range charge in Salisbury, though, which takes quite a while.

You can tell I'm spoiled. In Fall 2013 I was so happy to be able to supercharge that needing a range charge in both Glen Allen and Burlington wasn't an issue at all.

Dunno how you can resort to an ICE...

Looks like this will be completed about 2 weeks late for my OBX trip. How are the chademos in the area? I think I'll be using the one @ Nissan of Norfolk.
The Nissan in Chesapeake and Norfolk Nissan were both friendly and accommodating; got 38-39 kW from both. Someone hit the emergency button on the one at Virginia Beach Nissan and it hadn't been reset as of last week. If you know how to reset it (see here) and can convince them to let you do so, that would be Real Good.

The Courtyard Marriott in Chesapeake advertises their CHAdeMO on Plugshare, but they turned off the power a month ago, claiming either an "electrical problem" or a "metering problem". Avoid them.

Oye --- I hadn't seen this thread until now. As someone who has lived in the Norfolk area for 30 years now.....

Someone earlier said "Is directly opposite a bankrupt mall with crime problems really the best place for a supercharger??"
This area is a horrible spot for a supercharger. Yea, OK, its right off 264 and 64, but the area is really not a good part of town. Military Circle Mall is not someplace to be at night. You are up the road a bit from there but still...
Wouldn't a better spot be MacArthur Mall?

Oye --- I hadn't seen this thread until now. As someone who has lived in the Norfolk area for 30 years now.....

Someone earlier said "Is directly opposite a bankrupt mall with crime problems really the best place for a supercharger??"
This area is a horrible spot for a supercharger. Yea, OK, its right off 264 and 64, but the area is really not a good part of town. Military Circle Mall is not someplace to be at night. You are up the road a bit from there but still...
Wouldn't a better spot be MacArthur Mall?
Tesla has had this problem in several locations. See the Mobile, AL thread for example. They need better intelligence from the locals in their site planning process. It's not just about which mall has parking spaces to offer. Travelers from out of town are especially vulnerable because they may not be aware of what an area is like. We expect superchargers to be located at places "where you want to stop".

As I said before, this location is unfortunate. I wanted one west of the I-664/I-64 interchange. I dropped another note to the Supercharger team just to let them know my reservations. Hopefully they will take more note of that in the future. I recommend that people send email to them to just let them know these kinds of things before it is too late. It is, unfortunately, too late now for this Supercharger.

It would be nice is someone asked the crew where they are going next. That gives a heads up on the planned schedule. This crew, as I understand it, came from Nashville, TN.

I would be very pleased if the next stop was Greenville, SC -- along with a whole lot of other people.