Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newark, CA (LIVE 19 Sep 2019, 16 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't dispute the parking/charging situation is sub-optimal. But that might have been the only way to get the property owners and other tenants to agree to the spaces at all. We don't know what restrictions Tesla was under, what their alternatives were, etc.

The conflicting signage is not going to help. All of the stalls have Tesla signs that say "general parking", but two of them have markings on the ground reading "EV charging only". One of those two is marked as handicapped van accessible. Truly a masterpiece of confusion.

upload_2019-9-21_9-27-9.jpeg

Anyway if you want to charge here, go early. I swung by around 8:25 this morning, and there were "only" 3 cars ICE-ing. One Model 3 pulled up while I was there.

Bruce.

Reactions: Pluto
Moderator note: Minor edit to fix quoting for legibility.

I don't dispute the parking/charging situation is sub-optimal. But that might have been the only way to get the property owners and other tenants to agree to the spaces at all. We don't know what restrictions Tesla was under, what their alternatives were, etc.

The conflicting signage is not going to help. All of the stalls have Tesla signs that say "general parking", but two of them have markings on the ground reading "EV charging only". One of those two is marked as handicapped van accessible. Truly a masterpiece of confusion.

View attachment 457459
I don't dispute the assertion, but this will result in conflicts and many frustrated drivers.

Anyway if you want to charge here, go early. I swung by around 8:25 this morning, and there were "only" 3 cars ICE-ing. One Model 3 pulled up while I was there.

Bruce.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bmah
Bruce, the ground markings that say "EV Charging only" are part of the requirements to qualify those 2 stalls as disabled accessible EVCS and are mandated by the CA building code.

This site has been open for a few months and I stop by every couple of weeks to charge, to eat or both.
There are my observations:
1. Most of the time there are available superchargers. It is less busy than the one at the Fremont hub.
2. When the restaurant is very busy there is some ICEing, but usually only 1 or 2 cars.
3 The Lazy Dog restaurant has great food at a reasonable price and except for their really busy time, the service is fast enough to get done before the car is fully charged.
4. Finding vegan options is difficult in this area. This restaurant has a delicious Butternut Squash soup made with coconut milk and Beet Balls as a entree. Either of these is also available for take-out.
5. There is also a MacDonalds for those who like fast food.

• Informative
Reactions: wyldtek