Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - New Jersey Turnpike Rest Areas - Molly Pitcher & Joyce Kilmer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we need four super chargers within 40 miles in North Jersey?

Yes, we do.

Like I posted above (or in another thread).. it's not about proximity, it's about major traffic routes. They might be "close" as the crow flies, but they all serve different people travelling different routes in one of the most congested parts of the country.

The Greenwich, CT superchargers and the Darien, CT superchargers are only 11 miles apart (as the crow flies), but they serve essentially mutually exclusive populations of travelers.. one group travelling into northern CT, Western MA, VT, and NH (using the Greenwich SC), and the other group using the Darien SC going to Rhode Island, Cape Code, Boston, and points north.

Also, the NJTP SCs are on opposite sides of the highway, so they really don't count as two locations like most other SC spots.

And yes, a SC in central PA is key, and I'm sure that TM is working on it, but some things get approvals quicker than others. I believe TM has been working on getting SCs on the NJTP for a very long time, and the Hamilton and Edison locations were suitable alternates until that happened. Now it has happened, I'd guess that the Hamilton Marketplace location will be used maybe 10% of what it is now.

Yes, we do.

Like I posted above (or in another thread).. it's not about proximity, it's about major traffic routes. They might be "close" as the crow flies, but they all serve different people travelling different routes in one of the most congested parts of the country.

The Greenwich, CT superchargers and the Darien, CT superchargers are only 11 miles apart (as the crow flies), but they serve essentially mutually exclusive populations of travelers.. one group travelling into northern CT, Western MA, VT, and NH (using the Greenwich SC), and the other group using the Darien SC going to Rhode Island, Cape Code, Boston, and points north.

Also, the NJTP SCs are on opposite sides of the highway, so they really don't count as two locations like most other SC spots.

And yes, a SC in central PA is key, and I'm sure that TM is working on it, but some things get approvals quicker than others. I believe TM has been working on getting SCs on the NJTP for a very long time, and the Hamilton and Edison locations were suitable alternates until that happened. Now it has happened, I'd guess that the Hamilton Marketplace location will be used maybe 10% of what it is now.

All relative to where your traveling.....the Hamilton marketplace is great since they have much more dining options. More superchargers the better.

All relative to where your traveling.....the Hamilton marketplace is great since they have much more dining options. More superchargers the better.

Hamilton helps with East-West travel based on proximity to Int 195, e.g., shore traffic. Also covers local Rt 130 traffic. Not just a NJTP item.:smile:

- - - Updated - - -

(Oh and it's kinda close to some of us, even though Roadsters cannot charge there).

Just passed through....no activity at molly pitcher.

Joyce Kilmer construction started.....will post pictures up later. Chargers will be setup at the far end towards the highway,so w shouldn't have any ICEing.
Spoke to one of the guys working and he said probably about a month or month and half before its done.

4ef46a220a369285ff0c02a02f835545.jpg

bfc4c42596ecf05980e380a3fdd6e5c0.jpg

5c1a9a9c8b4cd925cc7fa7393d738d76.jpg

5026291b063210b4bbe573af76f32569.jpg

8eba42bc87318c5c396d160b550175ea.jpg

Drove past this weekend, looks like the frames are up on the northbound side, shouldn't be more than a couple of weeks till they're online. Southbound they had also already started construction, looked like they were starting to run the conduit.

Passed by Joyce Kilmer today (at 74mph) and the superchargers are right in the SW corner of the property, very easy to see from the highway.
The pedestals were all in but appeared to be wrapped in plastic.

Looking forward to these. Started the day in Salisbury, MD and hit Hamilton, but had to leave the NJT, Joyce Kilmer would have been easier.
(Next stop was W. Hartford)

/Ed