Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Laurel, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I visited Laurel last week for a quick charge and like others had a hard time finding the stations, as they're in the back end of a parking garage hidden from view on the streets surrounding the garage. It's a bit of a trek off I-95 to reach this spot but if one is desperate for a charge it's great. As others have suggested, this is not a most desirable location, so I would suggest other owners treat it as a "failsafe" charging spot.

I visited Laurel last week for a quick charge and like others had a hard time finding the stations, as they're in the back end of a parking garage hidden from view on the streets surrounding the garage. It's a bit of a trek off I-95 to reach this spot but if one is desperate for a charge it's great. As others have suggested, this is not a most desirable location, so I would suggest other owners treat it as a "failsafe" charging spot.

There are benefits to the location, too - at least for folks who aren't in a hurry during normal business hours - like half a dozen restaurants to choose from with a wide variety of good food.

There are benefits to the location, too - at least for folks who aren't in a hurry during normal business hours - like half a dozen restaurants to choose from with a wide variety of good food.

Newark - the rest stop and food choices feel a bit dingy. All fast foody. On the plus side, the pull over is very convenient.
Aberdeen - The food choices and general atmosphere feel better, and the pull over from the freeway is very convenient. But it's stuck in permit stage.
Laurel - Food choices are better, but you have to drive through people's bedrooms to get there. Also the neighborhood is icky.

I'd say, I'm still happy that we have superchargers than otherwise, but I really wouldn't mind a few more locations around us.

Dreaming out loud,
- 270/495 interchange
- Exit 16 on 270
- Frederick
- Somewhere around Mclean/Tysons
- Reston/Sterling/Ashburn/Centerville/Leesburg
- Aberdeen

Newark - the rest stop and food choices feel a bit dingy. All fast foody. On the plus side, the pull over is very convenient.
Aberdeen - The food choices and general atmosphere feel better, and the pull over from the freeway is very convenient. But it's stuck in permit stage.
Laurel - Food choices are better, but you have to drive through people's bedrooms to get there. Also the neighborhood is icky.

I'd say, I'm still happy that we have superchargers than otherwise, but I really wouldn't mind a few more locations around us.

Dreaming out loud,
- 270/495 interchange
- Exit 16 on 270
- Frederick
- Somewhere around Mclean/Tysons
- Reston/Sterling/Ashburn/Centerville/Leesburg
- Aberdeen

Somewhere around 495/270 would be convenient, like the old temporary location in Bethesda.

The other one down that way I'm waiting for is the Queenstown/Stevensville/Annapolis dot that has been on the last couple future maps - if I'm not in a hurry, that will make going up/down the eastern shore to D.C. convenient, avoiding all the traffic and tolls.

Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
The other one down that way I'm waiting for is the Queenstown/Stevensville/Annapolis dot that has been on the last couple future maps - if I'm not in a hurry, that will make going up/down the eastern shore to D.C. convenient, avoiding all the traffic and tolls.
Those maps are open to interpretation. It looks to me like the location east of the bridge is closer to Denton and those to the west appear to be the ones in Laurel and the future one near Aberdeen. We shall see eventually.

Those maps are open to interpretation. It looks to me like the location east of the bridge is closer to Denton and those to the west appear to be the ones in Laurel and the future one near Aberdeen. We shall see eventually.

I hope you're wrong - Denton doesn't seem to be very convenient to much of anything, and is certainly well off the track for my eastern shore route. As you say, we'll see eventually.

Thanks for the report. Wow, that doesn't bode well for Model 3 coming soon. Throw in a some inevitable local charging, and we really need multiple SCs added on I95 in MD/VA, and fast.
Well the only one planned for 2017 is in Aberdeen, north of Baltimore, and they've had a permit for that for almost a year and claimed that they don't even have a final location determined. So, don't hold your breath.

Thanks for the report. Wow, that doesn't bode well for Model 3 coming soon. Throw in a some inevitable local charging, and we really need multiple SCs added on I95 in MD/VA, and fast.

Maryland House will be a lot more convenient than Laurel once it opens, though it will be a little close to Newark.

Really what I think you need are more DC area options, like something over near Bethesda.

Right now Laurel is the only choice for anyone coming from the north, unless they are headed down 95 and confident of pushing all the way through to Woodbridge.

Would be great to add two on 301 so you can bypass DC and Baltimore when heading north. But I won't hold my breath waiting.

The future map is supposed to have one somewhere in the Annapolis/kent island/Queenstown neighborhood, depending on how you read it. With Newark being on the path at the top, I think that one is all you really need. It's a much more relaxing drive, and only a little longer/slower.