Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kaneohe, HI - Kaneohe Bayview Golf Course

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great to hear! Did you happen to take a picture?
@Big Earl, This Bud's for YOU. 'er - pictures I mean. I knew you would ask and we like to deliver when we possibly can.
I drove by today and collected these two. Does not look like much, but its a start. View from the street, and view from what looks like most likely place. It appears from the inside, that the closest corner to the street - behind that traffic signal pole is where the chargers will be. And the inside/second picture is directly across and other side of the black paper & white sign. The big tree you see to the left of the tall steel pole on the right side, is the same tree you see, center in the second picture - just other side and inside the lot. (White sign simply points to parking lot).
We will keep an eye on this and make a point to collect pics as progress goes forward.

I went looking for the owner of the property, and have missed him again. I am trying to quiz him about details. When I can, I will relay what he's willing to share. Bay View Golf Course - Parking Lot, Kaneohe, HI

From Street 20240217.jpg

Likelu Area 20240217.jpg

Flew the drone today. Progress on digging area for cabinet pads. Seems like slow progress for how much machinery is here. I’m very curious their plan for crossing the driveway. There is no other way in/out of the parking lot. Probably will have to close the parking lot for a day. Then use temp steel plates which aren’t on site yet.

Attachments

• dji_fly_20240303_140304_0013_1709423656065_photo.jpeg
    dji_fly_20240303_140304_0013_1709423656065_photo.jpeg
    825.7 KB · Views: 20
  • dji_fly_20240303_140418_0018_1709423654274_photo.jpeg
    dji_fly_20240303_140418_0018_1709423654274_photo.jpeg
    692.3 KB · Views: 18
Flew the drone today. Progress on digging area for cabinet pads. Seems like slow progress for how much machinery is here. I’m very curious their plan for crossing the driveway. There is no other way in/out of the parking lot. Probably will have to close the parking lot for a day. Then use temp steel plates which aren’t on site yet.
Why do they need to cross the driveway? That looks like an existing transformer so there might already be a way to tie into the mains there since it is fed from underground.

Reactions: Akikiki
The charging cabinets are going in next to the transformer, the posts are going in across the driveway behind the parking spots. Also, I’m guessing they are upgrading that transformer or installing a new one because the trench leads to what I believe is the HECO vault (near the street) according to the dig documentation that @Mrbrock posted.

The charging cabinets are going in next to the transformer, the posts are going in across the driveway behind the parking spots. Also, I’m guessing they are upgrading that transformer or installing a new one because the trench leads to what I believe is the HECO vault (near the street) according to the dig documentation that @Mrbrock posted.
Ok, couldn’t tell from the pictures so thanks for the longer explanation.

The property owner has several buildings there on the property. All have solar on them. Good chance he's also going to power the Supercharger site from his own solar array.
We see Kahala Hotel installing Superchargers, and I would suspect they are getting a cut of the proceeds from this effort. And now, here's a private golf course also installing Superchargers. I suspect he too is getting a cut of the proceeds. I could be looking at this backwards too. Could be that these two sites are privately funded, (they bought the Superchargers from Tesla) and could be that Tesla is going to get a cut.

The property owner has several buildings there on the property. All have solar on them. Good chance he's also going to power the Supercharger site from his own solar array.
We see Kahala Hotel installing Superchargers, and I would suspect they are getting a cut of the proceeds from this effort. And now, here's a private golf course also installing Superchargers. I suspect he too is getting a cut of the proceeds. I could be looking at this backwards too. Could be that these two sites are privately funded, (they bought the Superchargers from Tesla) and could be that Tesla is going to get a cut.

I'm coming up with around 250 kW of solar arrays on the property. That probably isn't enough to cover100% of their own usage, let alone Superchargers.

I'll be surprised if these sites are anything other than Tesla's standard mutually-beneficial agreement. The host site provides parking spaces and Tesla attracts a captive audience that will likely spend money with the host. Win-win for both parties.

I'm coming up with around 250 kW of solar arrays on the property. That probably isn't enough to cover100% of their own usage, let alone Superchargers.

I'll be surprised if these sites are anything other than Tesla's standard mutually-beneficial agreement. The host site provides parking spaces and Tesla attracts a captive audience that will likely spend money with the host. Win-win for both parties.
You are probably right about the amount of solar not being enough. I just glanced around the buildings when I was visiting. Its a busy (golf) place. Besides the golf course, they have zip line, driving range, miniature golf and a parttime open cafe. I think there may also be some other small concessions, that I didn't recognize. The parking lot is pretty busy all the times, I past it going to next town. I've don't see golfers Supercharging unless they find someone to move their car after 20-25ish minutes.
I think majority of the people that come to Supercharger are going to wait in their cars then leave. What can they do that is only 30ish minutes duration? The cafe is currently open only part time.
The Bay View Golf Course Superchargers are 15 miles from Waikiki/Kaka'ako where many owners live (high rises) and can't charge at home. Its also about 17-18 miles from the Pearlridge Superchargers. So, anyone currently going to Pearlridge, might simply come to Bay View vice Pearlridge - when Pearlridge is very busy. Bay View is half way between to small communities on the Windward side. Both these communities have housing/homes generally where we have installed home charging capability (few high-rises). I think most of us over here will not need to visit Bay View regularly for a charge. So, those coming from Waikiki/Kaka'ako or Pearlridge, will sacrifice 30ish miles or range to/fro for the charge at Bay View.