Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Supercharger - Inyokern, CA (4 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Crazy. Showed up at 9:15pm and an S and X had just started charging. Another 3 showed up right after me, but charger 1B is down so they had to wait.

Five minutes later another X showed up then 15 minutes later two more 3s showed up.

Never seen so many Teslas at this station.

P.S. needed to go pee and the only place open at this time is the pub down the street.

Attachments

• 7545EFFD-6A4D-4268-8E3D-B1ED1CF73872.jpeg
    7545EFFD-6A4D-4268-8E3D-B1ED1CF73872.jpeg
    286.3 KB · Views: 109
Crazy. Showed up at 9:15pm and an S and X had just started charging. Another 3 showed up right after me, but charger 1B is down so they had to wait.

Five minutes later another X showed up then 15 minutes later two more 3s showed up.

Never seen so many Teslas at this station.

P.S. needed to go pee and the only place open at this time is the pub down the street.

Spring break traffic to Mammoth?

I think Inyokern is "out there" enough that peeing just about anywhere is acceptable. Desert rules.

I was there at about midnight last January and the only people there were 2 police cars parked across the street. Didn't want to risk getting an indecent exposure citation.

Even crazier today on the way back down. I arrived just as another was leaving so that’s one more that’s not included in the photo.

upload_2019-3-17_22-1-28.png

Limited service with only 3 out of 4 chargers operational and 5 cars waiting to charge. I was first in line and only waited 12 minutes :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: abasile
OMG. I guess it's the price to pay for a massive winter.

Guess so, but ironically, it was in the 40s in Mammoth this weekend. And the mountain wasn't very busy for a Saturday.

This seems strange to me unless Mojave is also totally swamped.

Strange to me too!

No, it's called attack of the M3's (build it and they will come!)

Except only three of the eight Teslas in my photo are Model 3s :)

Except only three of the eight Teslas in my photo are Model 3s :)
But it's a trickle down effect, M3's at other sites like Lone Pine/Mojave, etc all cause congestion and others to push out to the fringe areas as well. If it was just S/X's then fine. But how many times Has or had Inyokern been full or crazy like that before?

No doubt the recent surge of M3's have cause a huge increase at SpC sites.

I was just in Mojave 2 weeks ago and with 1 stall down I was the only S and the rest were 3's LOL

It’s all about timing. I was there Sun afternoon and was only one of two. Mojave, however, was a zoo, with three waiting and two stalls down. There was a broken piece spacer “, that broke off of the socket from someone’s car, stuck in the charger handle.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
Bad idea. This is not about a local trying to take advantage of free charging. No one is interested in spending a minute longer than they have to in Inyokern. They want to get what they need, be it 70%0, 80% or 100% and get the heck out of there. It is not for someone else to decide to punish them. That would be complete torture to have someone get back in line after hitting 90%.
Torture is waiting half an hour to get the 15 minute charge I need to make it to the EMPTY supercharger in Lone Pine. It's not a punishment, just a more efficient use of limited resources. You can make it anywhere on an 80% charge that you can make it to on a 100% charge, you just need to drive 10% slower. The minimum speed limit is 45mph on the highway.
Maybe part of the problem is that the Tesla Nav system does not optimize for travel time but instead tries to minimize the number of supercharger stops.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Bad idea. This is not about a local trying to take advantage of free charging. No one is interested in spending a minute longer than they have to in Inyokern. They want to get what they need, be it 70%0, 80% or 100% and get the heck out of there. It is not for someone else to decide to punish them. That would be complete torture to have someone get back in line after hitting 90%.
I agree that if someone is thinking rationally, they'll get out of Inyokern as soon as they can. But a sizable minority of Tesla drivers, particularly new owners, seem to have a "top it off" mentality as if they're still driving gas cars. Upon hitting 80%, I expect that most such folks would grudgingly realize that, yes, they do actually have enough charge to move on, and they'd do so rather than getting in line again.

Torture is waiting half an hour to get the 15 minute charge I need to make it to the EMPTY supercharger in Lone Pine. It's not a punishment, just a more efficient use of limited resources. You can make it anywhere on an 80% charge that you can make it to on a 100% charge, you just need to drive 10% slower. The minimum speed limit is 45mph on the highway.
Maybe part of the problem is that the Tesla Nav system does not optimize for travel time but instead tries to minimize the number of supercharger stops.
I agree about "torture" also applying to those waiting in line behind someone topping off to 100%. However, I wouldn't expect anyone to drive 45 mph on US-395 or CA-14 in normal conditions! I'd rather wait around at a Supercharger than have to drive way slower than the prevailing flow of traffic.

You can definitely make it further driving slowly on a 100% charge than driving slowly on an 80% charge. Not everyone is making the same trip up 395 that you are. Your idea is simply a bad one.