Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Idle Fee but station not at >=50%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me start by saying that I have no issue with Tesla's Supercharger Idle Fee policy. There may be a few ways to improve the implementation of it but in general it is a good start to managing supercharger use.

That said, I was recently charged supercharger idle fees (but automatically waived) when it is highly unlikely the station was >=50% full for the 10 minute window during the idle.

I was on a road trip recently and stopped at a supercharger station at a mall. I take this trip often and my routine is plug in, walk from the lot to the mall entrance, walk about 10 minutes to the other side of the mall to have dinner and use the restroom, walk about 10 minutes back to my car, unplug and go. This time the service at the restaurant was even slower than normal and the car hit the 90% charge goal and I got a message indicating that I would start to incur idle fees. It took me about 10 minutes to get back to the car. During this trip there was 1 other car plugged in when I arrived and 1 other car plugged in when I left. Every time I have stopped at this location there were at most 2 other cars plugged in.

My concern is it is highly unlikely that the ~7 stalls were being used during the 10 minute window during which I was "idle." I took a picture when I got back to the car.

Has anyone had an experience in which they were charged idle fees but the station was not at >=50% full? How do you dispute this? In my case there was nothing to dispute since Tesla did not actually charge the fee (the bill showed the time with a $0.50 and $1.00 rate and zero charge). How accurate is Tesla's system?

One thought I had is there may have been a number of offline or broken chargers...I know there was at least 1. This station has let's say 14 chargers....assume 4 were broken...that leaves 10....it is realistic, albeit unlikely, that there were 4 other cars charging (for a total of 5) just as I got to my charging goal.

BTW, save the "just move your car" comments. That's not the point of the thread. It is about the accuracy of the data used to implement the policy.

image1.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I noticed yesterday (first time I supercharged with the new app that shows stall occupancy) that it was completely wrong. When I got there it showed 0 of 8 available when there was 4 cars there and when I left there was 2 of 8 available with only 2 there. None appeared broken yet both situations would have incurred fees when it shouldn't have. It also needs to be corrected because of the inaccurate advice it is giving to juice seekers.

I noticed yesterday (first time I supercharged with the new app that shows stall occupancy) that it was completely wrong. When I got there it showed 0 of 8 available when there was 4 cars there and when I left there was 2 of 8 available with only 2 there. None appeared broken yet both situations would have incurred fees when it shouldn't have. It also needs to be corrected because of the inaccurate advice it is giving to juice seekers.

I’ve not used the app but I had the same experience using navigation. I was on a road trip and a few miles out from my stop I was concerned that there was only 1 spot left at a station just off the highway. I get there and 75% of the stalls were empty. There is almost no way the station emptied that quickly.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
You are “eligible” for idle fees if at any point during your charging session occupancy >=50%. So it does not matter how many cars are charging during your idle period.

Not sure I understand what you mean. Doesn’t occupancy = number of vehicles charging?

Are you saying that occupancy could have been at >= 50% while I was charging and as a result even if occupancy was <50% when I stopped charging and went idle then I would be eligible for idle fees? I hope that is not the case. That scenario is not helpful or informative to drivers.

In my case, the message I received did not reference eligibility but said that I would be charged.

You are “eligible” for idle fees if at any point during your charging session occupancy >=50%. So it does not matter how many cars are charging during your idle period.
I could be wrong but I don't believe that to be true. I believe that the occupancy has to be greater than 50% when idle to be charged (after 5 minute grace and charged from minute 1).