Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hooksett NH Rest Areas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems odd to have a liquor store in a highway rest area. Doesn't that seem to promote drinking and driving ?!?!?!?!

Welcome to New Hampshire. Live Free of Die! And they mean this literally. I was surprised when I moved here and saw the big liquor store at the Hookset highway rest stop. But the state is trying to get revenue from out-of-staters passing through and taking advantage of the tax free booze.

Reactions: chjch
Thanks for the update! Still no definitive confirmation that Tesla SCs will be in place thought, right? Anyone know who we can call? Very excited about this. It would make my weekend trips to Lincoln this winter much more enjoyable.
ToddRLockwood's reports of conversations with contractors posted here and in the "New New England Superchargers" thread seems to be the most concrete evidence we have. Although there is a notation of "Per charging requirements" on the southbound rest area plan.

Seems odd to have a liquor store in a highway rest area. Doesn't that seem to promote drinking and driving ?!?!?!?!
Or questionably legal transportation of liquor across state lines. The store at the Portsmouth traffic circle (exit 6) and its signs on 95 don't leave much to the imagination in that regard.

ToddRLockwood's reports of conversations with contractors posted here and in the "New New England Superchargers" thread seems to be the most concrete evidence we have. Although there is a notation of "Per charging requirements" on the southbound rest area plan.

I agree - it would be nice to hear from tesla on this. But we have multiple verbal confirmations as well plans plus written (email) evidence saying "tesla". Other EV charging (CHADEMO or SAE ccs) - well, I wouldn't count on that yet...

Progress continues at the northbound Hooksett rest area:

• The liquor store moved to the new building by last Fri or Sat.
  • The porta-potties are gone, so the spots where some sort of chargers seem to be planned are now open.
  • This morning, about 1/3 of the old liquor store was left standing. By the end of the day, it was gone, with some rubble left.
Another update. I stopped by late last night on my way north:

• The old liquor store is gone. There is a pile of dirt that they are moving/grading prior to paving (this will be additional parking)
  • It looks like everything in the building is done, except for the restaurant, which is bare framing.
  • I spoke briefly to a convenience store employee who was getting off work. The current schedule is to have construction on the NB rest area done before Christmas, SB shortly after Christmas. I did not ask about chargers.

We have confirmation straight from Tesla. I emailed them and asked them to lay some of this speculation to rest (as fun as it is). Great news....

Hi Eric,

Yes, we are actively working on installing Superchargers in that area.

Keep checking our website for new site announcements. We appreciate your enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thanks,
The Tesla Supercharger Team

I don't know, I can read almost anything into that sentence. We're actively working on installing superchargers in that area ... But haven't found a spot yet. Depends on the turn of speech he's employing. I

I sure hope you're right.

I don't know, I can read almost anything into that sentence. We're actively working on installing superchargers in that area ... But haven't found a spot yet. Depends on the turn of speech he's employing. I

I sure hope you're right.

I hear you....

This is was my letter to them:

I am the proud owner of Model S 19XXX. We live just outside (south) of Boston and have been hearing rumors that there are plans to install Supercharging stations on the north and southbound sides of I93 at the location of the new rest areas in Hooksett, NH. Would you help lay some speculation to rest and let us know if these rumors are in fact true?

Just for your information – there is a lot of excitement about this location given that it the gateway for folks Boston and south to get to the Lakes Region and White Mountain areas for vacations. Without a Supercharger located somewhere in the vicinity of Hooksett/Concord NH on I93 – these areas would not be reachable.

Thanks in advance for your attention to my question!

I hear you....

I didn't want to cross post but as I said in the NE Supercharger thread, his response is not particularly helpful and certainly didn't answer your question wrt Hooksett. Your second paragraph discusses the need for a gateway to the north from greater Boston and it's hard to tell which paragraph he might be answering. Your first paragraph was more specific but the response only referred to "that area."

I didn't want to cross post but as I said in the NE Supercharger thread, his response is not particularly helpful and certainly didn't answer your question wrt Hooksett. Your second paragraph discusses the need for a gateway to the north from greater Boston and it's hard to tell which paragraph he might be answering. Your first paragraph was more specific but the response only referred to "that area."

"That area" being the aforementioned rest area in Hooksett for a getaway to the specific areas mentioned...not "the north". I think it was pretty clear and it'd be pretty slimy to respond in such a way otherwise. Gotta disagree with you.

"That area" being the aforementioned rest area in Hooksett for a getaway to the specific areas mentioned...not "the north". I think it was pretty clear and it'd be pretty slimy to respond in such a way otherwise. Gotta disagree with you.

I hope you're right! If he had said "that site" or "that location" then I would agree with you, but he said "that area." He or she probably gets 100 emails a day along the same lines as yours. I wouldn't see it as "slimy" to answer in a hurry and trying to be diplomatic. Let's see how they respond to your second email.

The response to my email asking them to be more specific about "that area" reads as follows:

Hi,

Thank you for your email. It is our policy to announce specific Supercharger locations only when we are sure the site will be ready for our owners to use.

We thank you for your patience and we hope you are enjoying your Model S!

Best,

Would that not have been an easier reply the first time around if they were in a "hurry" or trying to be "diplomatic"?

The response to my email asking them to be more specific about "that area" reads as follows:

Hi,

Thank you for your email. It is our policy to announce specific Supercharger locations only when we are sure the site will be ready for our owners to use.

We thank you for your patience and we hope you are enjoying your Model S!

Best,

Would that not have been an easier reply the first time around if they were in a "hurry" or trying to be "diplomatic"?

I think the first response was more diplomatic. He/she avoided giving you no answer at all, which is what you just got in the second response. You don't have to agree.

The bottom line is we still don't know what and/or when anything is going to happen in Hooksett.

I think the first response was more diplomatic. He/she avoided giving you no answer at all, which is what you just got in the second response. You don't have to agree.

The bottom line is we still don't know what and/or when anything is going to happen in Hooksett.

no we don't know anything. We are speculating based on evidence. It is kind of fun. Like playing the lottery -only with better odds

Got it. Thanks for the help. :tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

no we don't know anything. We are speculating based on evidence. It is kind of fun. Like playing the lottery -only with better odds

Bingo.....

I just received ANOTHER confirmation from a contractor working at the Hookset site. "A 6-bay supercharger on each side."

I drove through the southbound rest area on Monday. About half of the site is not paved yet. As a rule, I believe Tesla prefers to wait for pavement and curbs before getting their contractor involved. They may also be waiting for the utility to do their part.

Reactions: chjch
I just received ANOTHER confirmation from a contractor working at the Hookset site. "A 6-bay supercharger on each side."

I drove through the southbound rest area on Monday. About half of the site is not paved yet. As a rule, I believe Tesla prefers to wait for pavement and curbs before getting their contractor involved. They may also be waiting for the utility to do their part.

Why would Tesla prefer to wait for pavement and curbs before getting their contractor involved? Wouldn't installing these things require ripping up the pavement, curbs, and concrete to run cables and footings for the pedestals? Perhaps when you refer to "their contractor" you mean the workers who set the equipment on the pads and the underground stuff is being done now and will soon be paved over?

How reliable are the sources you've spoken with? Is it possible that they both heard a rumor from the same source? Or from somebody who might have confused supercharger with regular charging stations? Sorry - I don't mean to question your ability to filter your sources - I'm just looking for some good news!