Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gilroy, CA (16 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped by today but not for a charge, carwash instead, and the chargers were about half full and of that maybe half the cars were model 3s. Saw one of my husband’s co-workers there charging. Small world.

The weather was great and now car looks great. So happy we have this service down there. One of the Teslas getting his charge was positioned near an empty non-charging space so the carwash guy had no trouble doing both at the same time.

Full house today and 1 charger out, someone taped a sign on it so helpful before you pull in and plug in. :) Second from end closest to the outlets and road side.

Down here getting car washed again. Still only on weekends.

3:10pm Back from wash. Always nice to see it shiny and clean. There were 2 available charging spots but X just pulled in. Interestingly majority of cars are MS/Xs. Just filled the last spot. Great day here to be out driving and enjoying the weather.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Electroman
Well you never know what you'll see at a SC location. We were down in the area for breakfast and charging. Got to see a new Tesla being delivered down there while waiting for our car to finish! Beautiful red Model X drove in with paper plates and red sticker on the passenger side. Driven by a younger guy who pulled in and started charging. A few minutes later two women pulled up in a Prius and parked in one of the undedicated parking spots and walked over to the red X. Guy got out with a clipboard and papers, shook hands with the ladies and I said I think we are seeing a delivery down here. He opened the rear falcon wing door and proceeded to show them the car. As we left heard him talking about document specifics. It was like being at the birth of a new baby :D.

I remember reading a thread where a new owner met a Tesla DS at a East Bay Target SC location for their delivery which was the first I heard Tesla delivering like that, but that was during a quarter end rush. Didn't know this was still happening. Have to say Tesla really is going out of its way to make car buying and deliveries convenient for people.

At Gilroy charging now. 5a is not working. Trying to report now but probably 5 owners have tried to charge here. Having a devil of a time using their phone system as reporting chargers down isn’t obvious. Having to connect thru #1, Roadside. They said It has been reported and scheduled for repair later this month. We put up a post it note on 5a but it’s going to rain so not sure how long it will be up.

On the way out past the transformers I saw a very heavy orange cone which I dragged to block the space. A Honda drove past as I was sticking it in the space and yelled out “no spot saving!” Probably with good intentions but totally wrong in this case.

We should all think about carrying something in our cars to mark down chargers.

Reactions: Electroman
5a still waiting for repair and glad to see the orange cone and post it note still on the stall.

First time at a charger and seeing the new 80% charging policy pop up on display.

98FA8559-BEB2-4560-BD54-B7680239FA2E.jpeg

I have to wonder if Gilroy won’t be one of those Always 80% tagged SCs.

• Informative
Reactions: McManX
I have to wonder if Gilroy won’t be one of those Always 80% tagged SCs.
I'll bet you're right, and I wouldn't be surprised if most or all superchargers in the Bay Area (except perhaps the urban ones) get the same treatment. It will be interesting to see if this policy actually reduces SC usage. If the issue is locals charging to 100% for daily commuting, then the policy might result in those owners coming back for an extra charging session at some point.

And, always mindful to keep on topic in this particular forum, I wonder if shorter sessions will have an impact on the Gilroy outlet stores. If a typical session is now closer to 20 minutes than 45-60 minutes, more people might just stay close to their car instead of venturing out to shop. :)

If the issue is locals charging to 100% for daily commuting, then the policy might result in those owners coming back for an extra charging session at some point.

That’s ok—it’s a net positive because those additional sessions will result in overall higher average charge rate for those users, which means less total time plugged in for those users. It’s less convenient for them, but...better for everyone else.

Reactions: Electroman and Zorg
If people really need a longer charge, Elon said they can just adjust the slider on their car to the rate they need. People who regularly charge at home likely have their charge % set to 90% (recommended by Elon previously) or more I guess, depending on their driving routine. So when you pull into these SC locations, it will automatically set it to 80% for you.

Sad to say the 5a that I reported by phone back on 5/18 is still down and the cone I dragged over to that stall is still there. :( We came here earlier to charge and no spaces available and saw maybe 4 others waiting to charge. Second in line but decided to do some shopping nearby at Costco and try later which worked out okay.

Keep in mind that Tesla on the stall indicator can’t account for a down charger so at this point count one less. Full house again. Did get this new message when charging here for those that really need more than an 80% charge:

8B7B9323-DD37-48C6-AE60-5D90AC15DBE8.jpeg

Last time we were at Gilroy they hadn't added the additional "if needed" language. Good to see it's now appearing as I'm sure it might have alarmed those not reading the forums, but needing the extra range and not realizing they could simply adjust their slider again while Supercharging.

I'll see if I can reach anyone about that 5a charger. Was told it was scheduled for end of May but it's already a week now into June. With this being such a heavily used location it really is needed at times.

Went through here on Sunday the 25th around 1 PM. Nav said 0 of 16 available as we were getting close so we were prepping for a line. Someone must have just pulled out though as there was 1 available. We took that and were of course paired. But the other vehicle must have been pretty close to done as we were getting 88 kW. The place stayed full or nearly full (1 to 2 spots open sometimes) for the 23 minutes we were there.

Heads up — 8a (part of the new 4 across from enclosure and closest to other EV Charging stalls) is out. Waited for a bit but zip. Someone had left the handle on the ground when we arrived. We put a post-it note on stall and at least left cable on the bottom of the unit instead of ground. No sign of either of the two cones that use to be here to place in stall.

Not even sure any more who should be called about it.

Parked in 8b and getting about 100kW at 53mi SOC in our MS.