Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fort Drum, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used them last sunday. 1A and 2B were not working, but all others were working properly. Since total working is only 4, do allow a bit of extra time in case you have to wait a bit.

By the way, with the massive supercharger price changes that happen last night, the Turnpike superchargers are no longer free as of yesterday, so do expect to pay.

Hi fellow Tesla owners,

I am planning a road trip for this weekend and potentially taking my Model 3 on its first long trip. My schedule involves me charging at the Fort Drum Supercharger fairly late, around 11pm or so. Does anyone have experience with this location and whether it is safe? I've lately been reading stories of people getting mugged at supercharger stations so I'm a little bit nervous.

Thanks!

Jerry

Hi fellow Tesla owners,

I am planning a road trip for this weekend and potentially taking my Model 3 on its first long trip. My schedule involves me charging at the Fort Drum Supercharger fairly late, around 11pm or so. Does anyone have experience with this location and whether it is safe? I've lately been reading stories of people getting mugged at supercharger stations so I'm a little bit nervous.

Thanks!

Jerry
“Fort Drum” NY? The army post?

FWIW, I have charged there during desolated hours a couple of times. Both times there was security that passed by while charging. Once it was a FHP car the other time I'm not positive, because the person was on foot but seemed to be not Police to me. I did not think much about it either time but I did remember those after this post.

Anyway, I feel pretty safe in all the locations that are on restricted use highways. OTOH, I feel safe at a couple that have been discussed here as being in 'iffy' locations. Frankly I think far too many people are imagining problems. Macon, GA has been often discussed in that light. I've charged in the middle of the night there three times. I'm not fond of the area at night, but zero problems.

I'm travelling from Weston FL to Leesburg FL tomorrow. I have heard of issues with the Ft Drum supercharger. Do you guys suggest I try to skip it? Maybe stop at Port St Lucie instead of try to Hypermile it all the way up to Turkey Lake?

I'm travelling from Weston FL to Leesburg FL tomorrow. I have heard of issues with the Ft Drum supercharger. Do you guys suggest I try to skip it? Maybe stop at Port St Lucie instead of try to Hypermile it all the way up to Turkey Lake?

My only experience at Fort Drum was a 45 minute wait to charge, so I avoid it like the plague. We stop at Turkey Lake often and have only had to wait a minute to get a spot, but the chargers are sketchy part of which includes never getting billed for charging there.

Turnpike desperately needs Level 3 chargers at every plaza.

My only experience at Fort Drum was a 45 minute wait to charge, so I avoid it like the plague. We stop at Turkey Lake often and have only had to wait a minute to get a spot, but the chargers are sketchy part of which includes never getting billed for charging there.

Turnpike desperately needs Level 3 chargers at every plaza.

I was lucky and ended up charging at Turkey Lake on the way up and at Fort Drum on the way down. No wait, I was the only one when I got to Fort Drum. Maybe because it was early evening on a weekday.

I agree we need more on the turnpike...hopefully any new ones are v3 which is a lot faster. I charged at Ochopee the other day, my first time on v3. Amazingly fast.

Reactions: BR5220
It looks like Ft Drum could be in for an expansion. The latest picture on Plug Share shows construction occurring directly east of the current charges in the same drive in aisle. According to Tesla Club of South Florida (twitter) the expansion is an additional four stalls.

(Image Source: Plug Share)

Attachments

• 576381.jpg
    576381.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: mociaf9
It looks like Ft Drum could be in for an expansion. The latest picture on Plug Share shows construction occurring directly east of the current charges in the same drive in aisle. According to Tesla Club of South Florida (twitter) the expansion is an additional four stalls.

(Image Source: Plug Share)
Seems this could finally be the Fla Tpke expansion with EV charging from Tesla